Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #1

Default Improved outside LED lighting

I have never understood why the inside lighting on our trailer was nearly all LED but the two outside lights (for the porch and sewage hookup) were both incandescent lights. I decided it was time to lower the current consumption AND improve the light output at the same time. A WIN-WIN in my book.

The first was the round amber porch light. I had trouble with this fixture before as the contacts to the bulb would become oxidized and only work intermittently. I removed it to see how large the hole was through the fiberglass exterior and decided one of the rectangular LED lights on Amazon would easily cover the hole. This one does not have the integral manual switch.

The second was the light above the sewage connection and previously the switch had been temperamental. I likewise remove this light and order a replacement which had the manual integral switch.

When I received them a few days later from Amazon I quickly decided that the white trim looked tacky when all of the other trim on the FF was black. I removed the two lenses and taped the area within the lens area. I then sprayed the exterior with two coats of a satin black spray paint intended for bumpers and molding. I put a bead of clear silicone caulking along the top of the fixtures to prevent water from getting inside.

I think they look good and the improvement in lighting is amazing. And the current consumption is less when I'm boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails
20201029_114918.jpg   20201029_114943.jpg  

Old 10-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #2

The reason you may have some led and some incandescents depends when your unit was made. The manufacturer will use up old stock first as they buy in bulk. It is not about you the end user being happy, it is dollars and cents to the company. I have seen 2 identical class A motor homes one serial # apart and have different headlights because they had run out of the original one they had sourced. RV manufacturing can be some of the worst consistent building around. Just my experience. Silverado

Old 10-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #3

I am NOT a fan of LED exterior lights.

So far, I have had to replace THREE LED light fixtures because the LED's quit working ... one rear clearance light, one side clearance light and one rear tail/brake light.

As I recall the clearance lights were about $10 - $13 each and the tail/brake light around $30. When the LED's go out, there is no fix ... replace the entire fixture.

A simple replacement bulb style would not have cost over $4 for three new bulbs.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:18 AM   #4

Eagle, check out Amazon, you can get LED bulbs for real cheap, I replaced all my outside bulbs a few years ago and have had no problem. I believe I got like 10 bulbs for 10 bucks or cheaper depends on what you like.

go to Amazon and search LED bulb
Old 11-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kotonk View Post
Eagle, check out Amazon, you can get LED bulbs for real cheap, I replaced all my outside bulbs a few years ago and have had no problem. I believe I got like 10 bulbs for 10 bucks or cheaper depends on what you like.

go to Amazon and search LED bulb

The exterior lights from the factory with LED's do NOT have replaceable LED bulbs .. they have the little square LED 'electrode' formed as part of the fixture and are not replaceable like replacing a standard bulb with a LED bulb.

The clear lens on this example is what is behind the lens .... little square LED's that are not replaceable.
003-85W: Surface Mount LED Tail Light, Back Up — Command Electronics
Old 11-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Luckily all my lights, inside and out, use the same bulb, so replacing them all was a piece of cake.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #7

Eagle, Ok, I get ya.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #8

Like Eagle, I had to replace a rectangular LED tail light, from Command $35. I’ve tried some LED lights from Amazon but they were dim and burned out faster than my incandescents.
Gerald Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:13 AM   #9

I just installed Leisure RV LED Light to replace the old incandescent bulbs on my RV. Most RVs come with a pre-installed incandescent and fluorescents, which are more expensive but less sustainable. The LED lights offer a much clearer vision for your late-night picnics at the RV parks.

Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
porch, utility light