Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #1

Default Increase Load Rating of tires?

I need new tires on our FunFinder and wonder if there is any downside to upgrading the tires from ST225/75R15 load rating D (8 ply) to Load Rating E (10 ply). Besides the Load Rating the max allowable speed would also increase. I have two 4400lb axles and have always felt the load capacity of the 'D' tires (2540 each) was a bit marginal especially when on rough roads with rocks and pot holes. Refer to the attachments.
Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
20220225_151300[1].jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carlisle HD ST tires sds2083.pdf (120.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 02-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #2

In theory, putting on overly-beefy tires could cause the trailer to bounce more, since the load would not put enough stress on the sidewalls to permit them to flex. (Kind of like trying to jog in hiking boots.)

In reality, I doubt that. I put Load Range D Endurance tires on my little trailer, which is far more than I need. I have not noticed any difference in the trailer's behavior.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:52 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing your experience. I know they will be a little stiffer but when you have a blowout or a rough road I imagine the loads on the tires increase dramatically. The speed rating is also a concern as all of the original LRD tires were 65mph. The oem Chinese tires made it thus far without a blowout and have plenty of tread but I am too old to push my luck. A future dream is the Alcan Highway if I ever recover enough.