Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #1

Default Installed the accumulator (finally!)

My wife was not happy with the noise of the pump when we were at campsites that didn't have water hook-ups and had to use the onboard water supply. After a brief search, found out (as I'm sure many in the camping world have) that an accumulator is a least a partial remedy for this issue. I bought a SureFlo branded model as it seemed to be one that many folks recommended. After I received it and read the installation instructions, I went out to the camper and was just going to "pop it into the system". Well, after having a good look at how the 25 gallon reservoir, the pump and the associated plumbing were "shoe horned" into the compartment under the "Queen-sized" bed, I realized that it wasn't going to just be "popped in" . I wanted to mount it in a location that was reasonably easy to get at somewhere between the pump and the first fixture in the system. After several false starts and finally realizing that plumbing lines would need to altered, I decided it was "now or never"! Emboldened by my recent experience with my crimping tool for PEX tubing clamps, I got to it. I ended up "T-ing" it into a short run of existing PEX about 8 inches beyond the pump. It's mounted vertically inside the under-bed compartment and should be easy to disconnect when I "Winterize". Here's a pic that I hope shows the arrangement.

Click For Full-Size Image.
I've yet to put it to the test but hope to before the next camping trip.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

Well done! As you probably know, you'll need to check the pressure from time to time, using an ordinary tire gauge on that valve sticking up from the outer shell. My accumulator functions best at 29 psi. I use a manual bike pump to pressurize it.

I do this every few months. If you find that the accumulator is not doing its job, the problem is often under-pressurization.

The manual that came with the accumulator should describe this, I think.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Well done! As you probably know, you'll need to check the pressure from time to time, using an ordinary tire gauge on that valve sticking up from the outer shell. My accumulator functions best at 29 psi. I use a manual bike pump to pressurize it.

I do this every few months. If you find that the accumulator is not doing its job, the problem is often under-pressurization.

The manual that came with the accumulator should describe this, I think.
Thanks prof, I'm kinda pleased with it myself . Definitely hoping that it doesn't leak! In addition to making it easier to winterize, the install location will make for easy pressure checks and pumping it up if need be. I usually travel with a bike or two so I'll have a pump to use. I do have the bare bones installation and use sheet that came with the accumulator but I can't recall the specifics RE: adjusting the pressure in the bladder. I'll have to review that.
Quick question, will I have to "bleed" the air out of the vertical piece of PEX between the original plumbing and connection at the accumulator? I have one side of the accumulator capped off. If I need to bleed the air column, I could back the cap off until some water seeps out.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 09-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVan View Post
Quick question, will I have to "bleed" the air out of the vertical piece of PEX between the original plumbing and connection at the accumulator?
RipVan
Any small amount of air in that short section of line will dissipate quickly during use. If any should remain it will just be a (very small) addition to the air cushion provided by the air side of the accumulator.
Good looking job. Thanks for sharing.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #5

My guess is that no bleeding is needed. I base that on my own amateur experience: bleeding never even crossed my mind, so I just installed the accumulator and began using it. It worked!
Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #6

Good job. Mine is set with a bladder pressure of about 25 PSI. Does a good job at keeping the pressure up when I'm running a medium trickle.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

What a great upgrade to your "home away from home". In our '15 210UDS we found enough space below the kitchen sink, between the electrical power center and the LPG sensor, to install a 2.1 Gal. Potable Hot Water Heater Thermal Expansion Pressure Tank from Home Depot, priced right now at $36. It is a godsend in the middle of the night.
jimplumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

These are great--of the 4 mohos and a TT, I've installed these tanks in all of them. They hold about a glass of water, which keeps the pump for recharging the water pipes during the night. It's easier on the pump too--no more short cycling. You don't need to locate the tank close to the pump--it can be anywhere on the cold water line that is handy to get to---When serving it's purpose--the water PSI is the same at the pump as it is at the end of the line--not when the pump is running however. On our 189x FBS it was so easy to mount it under the bed where all the water stuff is. I also installed a 110v illuminated on/off switch for the water heater. It was mounted on the panel that hides the stuff below mattress and was visible when you walked in--so you could easily see the HWH was on. It probably saved few HWH heating elements when I winterized
Old 09-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

Did a "shake-down" camping trip this past weekend to make sure tha the system was leak-free (it was!) at the accumulator connections and at the bypass valve near the HWH that I just replaced a few days prior. I'm pretty sure that the accumulator was working as designed but I think that my wife believed that it would make the pump totally silent (which it didn't)! It did allow for short draws of water (like flushing the toilet) with a minimum of noise. It also eliminated the frequent pump cycles during the night. I do believe that I will be able to further reduce the pump noise by adding some sound absorbing material inside of the underbed compartment. I'm planning on doing that before our next trip. Aside from the pump noise (it's less now than before) my wife is fine with the accumulator's function. We now have many more camping opportunities available to use if we bring our own water / or fill at the reservoir at the community source. Before anyone gets crazy on us, I'm not sure that we are ready for boon-docking ��!
Sovende

Old 09-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #10

Glad it working and NO leaks. With the acculmator tank installed, there should a small reduction in noise--as int the "knock" are not quite as loud, or as sharp. The main reason we installed them is to keep the pump from coming to repressurize the lines. In our experience the noise can be reduced a lot by putting a rubber grommet (a 1/8 to 1/4" think 1/2" dia of so) between the pump mounting pad and the wood that it is screwed too. Perhaps the pump already has those in the mounting holes--if so--tighten them snug but don't compress the grommets too much. Another issue can be the pex pipes that vibrate when the pump runs. They can move against the floor, walls whatever. IF you can--but some pipe insulation tubes--black foam 6' (maybe 5) with a slit down the side at Lowes, Home Depot in the plumbing dept. Put these around the pipes that you can see are in contact with floor or walls.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #11

This is an update I have often thought about but never done. Good job! The concept is the same as the accumulator on my home RO water system.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #12

Right Jimbo..except on the home RO system, it's quite a bit larger.