Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to oejeffrey
Default is it a gas hook up ??

So for some reason I was underneath my Fun Finder and saw a small quick coupler with a yellow rubber cap on the end of it. This was located on the door side near the front. It also has a hand valve on in to turn it on and off ?? Was this for propane as in a gas grill hook up ??

2005 Honda Pilot ( traded in but missed )
2011 Toyota Tundra with a big ole 5.7 liter
2007 FunFinder 189 FBS
oejeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #2

We have one where you are describing and it is for our propane grill. We bought our 08 210 funfinder used and there was a propane grill that came with it in a bag in the storage compartment. I believe the grill came from cruiser RV when the TT was purchased new. Is there a black rail about a foot up from the valve mounted to the side of the trailer. The grill hooks into the rail for use.

rosner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #3

I notice the same thing. It is the valve for bbq qrill.
tractng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

Yup, that hookup is for the gas grill. The grill should have a short hose that runs from the grill to the quick coupler under the camper near the front step.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Yup, it's for what CruiserRV calls the RVQue. Comes with a black tube metal frame that hooks to a channel on the side of the trailer just above that gas line, and the grill rests in the frame.

If you don't have one or haven't used it, you haven't missed much. I used mine for the first time my last trip out and was underwhelmed with the performance. I've no idea what the Btu rating is but it just doesn't generate that much heat. Just to cook 2 small steaks I had to keep the lid closed the whole time just to get it hot enough so the meat would "sizzle" when it hit the grill. Even so it took quite until they were done.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #6

well if it is underpowered that is ok....would have felt stuuuuuupid if it had been a water hook up or some kind of drain.

so if it is a propane outlet...could I hook up another grill with a higher btu ???

2007 FunFinder 189 FBS
Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Sure, assuming you can source the correct fittings.

One thought I did have about the apparent lack of heat is that it may be by design. Since it's so close to the trailer they may have wanted to limit the heat output.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #8

There isn't a "limiter" on the line (the quick connect gas supply) to keep the grill's output low, it is just, as LJAZ pointed out, that the grill is not what you call a "good cooker"

Many folks replace that grill with a better performing model; the easiest, in my experience, is the Weber Q series of grills. If you go to another brand of grill, and there are many to choose from, that works better, you need to make sure that it is designed to work with the "quick connect" RV style attachment or is easy to modify, as is the Q series Weber. The grill you choose either has to have no built in regulator or has a regulator that easily removed from the grill while leaving the gas control intact...you can't run the grill, effectively, with two regulators on the gas line.

The Weber's regulator is separate from the gas control and is removable easily while the resulting regulator fitting easily takes the male quick connect fitting. I believe there is a thread in this forum describing the process. Any grill that has a removable regulator can be adapted, but, the Weber appears to be the most popular, and I personally, have had many pleasurable cookouts on my Q 120 model. If you want a grill that is designed for RV use and doesn't require any modifications, there are quite a few to choose from; you can peruse the internet sources (CampingWorld, PPL, RVWharehouse, etc.) for models available. Some are good, some aren't any better than the brand that CruiserRV provides.

The best source for fittings, that I've found and is the site that I use, is:
Calore Equipment

There are others, but, the RV style quick connect system uses the "250" rated LP connectors, don't confuse it with the higher pressure "500" style. Though they look very much alike, the two styles are not interchangeable.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Webslave thanks for the link to the fitting supplier!

So you've had good luck converting the Weber Q200? I was toying with the idea of the Coleman Roadtrip, but I wasn't sure if the regulator could be bypassed. Maybe the Weber is the better way to go since I now know for sure it can be modified to work.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #10

Yes sir. All of the Weber "Q" series of grills are quite easily converted. I know the 200 can be because I converted one for a friend of ours. Actually, any grill that has the burner control valve separate from the regulator should be equally easy to convert. A lot of us chose the Weber due to its compact size and ease of use. If you need a lot of "room" on your grill for sumptuous feasts or a lot of people, the 200 is a fair bit larger than my 120. The 120 is actually the same size, I believe, as the 100, but, it has fold out "wings" for setting things on which appealed to us and is perfectly sized for just the 2 of us, big enough to invite a friend or two, but, quite compact and space saving when we go to store it.

Here's a picture of the "quick attach" modification:

The regulator attached to the burner control valve where you see the brass connectors/adapters. I just used "spare parts" I had laying around the shop, but, that's about as simple as it gets. I also have done the same thing with my LP Campfire-in-a-Can. I have a 4' hose, a 10' foot hose and 12' foot hose... I can either grill right next to the RV with the 4' hose (using a table; I'm not big on hanging a high heat producer right next to the filon wall...lots do it, but, I don't) or if the smoke is blowing in the window or the open door, I can use a longer hose or series of longer hoses to get the grill or the Campfire-in-a-Can out and away from the RV. As an aside, the reason my conversion looks cobled...the regulator's attachment is a 1/8" fitting while the quick attach parts are 1/4". I didn't want to go out and buy the adapter (1/8" to 1/4") since I already had a bunch of "spare parts" laying around that would do it...cheap, that's me

One of my planned projects for the season is to make a quick connect "T" so that I can run both the grill and the Campfire-in-a-Can simultaneously and I want to make a quick connect for the regulator so that I can, if wanted, snap the regulator back on to the grill in order to use the disposable LP cylinders in case we are camped somewhere, but, want to go on a picnic with the grill elsewhere...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #11

well we have the coleman road trip grill. If I may ask what hose/connector combination do I need to ahve to connect my grill to the gas outlet underneath the funfinder ??

2007 FunFinder 189 FBS
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
roy

Cruiser must have changed something because the grill that came with our 276 will burn up anything if you don't keep a close eye on it. Even on low I had trouble keeping the heat down to a reasonable cooking temp.

I usually have this problem using propane/gas grills so I wasn't surprised.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #13

You might give this grill a look-see. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57310-Ol...s=rv+gas+grill

I bought it for our TT. It comes with the hose and connection for hooking up to the TT or a connection for a small propane bottle.

It was about the cheapest I could find and found it to have even heat and runs up to 500 degrees in about 2 minutes with the lid closed.

I tried hooking it to the bracket on the TT but it didn't feel sturdy to me so I just set it on a table next to the Propane hook up.
Kansas City, MO
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

I haven't used my grill yet that came in my XT276 but will weekend after next when going out again.

One important fact I did notice when checking under the unit after arriving home from the dealer was that the propane line to the quick coupler by the front step was severely kinked ~ which would have prevented adequate gas flow to the grill. It was an easy fix to get a little extra slack in the rubber propane line to eliminate the kink for full gas flow.

Just something you may want to check before investing in a new grill.