Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
roy

Default Leaking shower/tub drain

This camper can't go one trip without a problem!! Tub drain is leaking now and to fix it will be the equivalent of working through a key hole.

Losing patience with Cruiser RV products and craftsmanship or the lack of.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Went out over the Memorial Day weekend for 3 days.

Had a great time and zero problems with anything.

Sunday was a day of HARD RAIN and some strong wind and not a drip in the XT276 anywhere. I was pleased!

The addition of the 'extend a rod shower rod' was a big plus when using the shower and made the wife happy !!!

Campground had Cable TV so first time used the TV on cable and picture was super! Was disappointed at first until flipped the little toggle switch under where the TV plugs into the wall from off to cable.

Also, campground was a 'Passport America" accepting campground so joined to get half rate price on site rent....and the saving paid for the "Passport America" annual membership cost.

Plan to utilize the membership and stay in mostly private campgrounds instead of State Parks where the water quality sucks and sites usually only have water and elect hookups and a dump station near the entrance. Also around these parts, the state parks are booked full near every weekend by folks making reservations 90 days in advance the day the 90 day advance window opens. To many variables for me to do that.

Anyway, hope you repairs go well.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
roy

Been gone 7 days straight 1020 miles round trip. The tub drain is a piss poor design. The more I look behind the scenes on this thing the more I dislike Cruiser. Shoddy workmanship is an understatement. No thought process on anything just use that piece of scrap lumber off the factory floor it'll do even with staples already in it. Lol we will booby trap the guy who has to fix this leak through a key hole.

Breakers trip when the ac is on and a toaster over or microwave at the same time. Again piss poor wiring throughout.

Maybe yours was a middle of the week build mine was a Friday half day half thought out big box.

WERA Expert #826
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Factory builds on a friday or monday have been known not to be the best. Either I was lucky or the dealer did a super checkout job before I came to pick it up as mine was a special order ........ not a off the lot purchase.

Hope you get buy OK on the rest of your trip.

BTW - on memorial day weekend half the trip was fighting a good headwind and still pulled slightly under 10 mpg. I thought that wasn't bad fully loaded.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
roy

Hills and elevation from 300 feet to 4000' never see anything above 9 mpg out on the open highway at 65-70 mph. It gets worse with any sort of headwind. Had two bikes 600 lb Yamaha Super Tenere and a 400 lb GSXR750 in the back. We were on full hookups the entire week for $160 total spent $388 in truck gas. Rode my bikes 1340 miles between the two.

Headed back out in a weeks time to Barber Motorsports park for a trackday weekend on my GSXR1000 racebike. Total trip will be about 530 miles and no hookup except electricity we will tote in the fresh water tank full. It will be scorching hot over asphalt parking lot al day long.

WERA Expert #826
Old 06-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

My travel was pretty much all 'flat land' travel and had the cruise set on 65 MPH both ways as not in any big hurry.

Full hooks and cable TV/WiFi for me too in the private campground and w/Passport America membership, fee was only $15 a night.....cheaper than state parks w/only water and elect.

Won't be going out again for about a month.

Enjoy
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
roy

I got the leak fixed for now. What a pain in the butt location and design. The whole drain pipe is in a bind and the thin tub base flexes when pressure is applied which in turn stresses the pipe and joints on the drain. The rubber gaskets are unobtainium anywhere locally. I ended up cramming a regular oring in the groove first then the flat old rubber gasket on top the tightening it down. For now no leak but with the crappy design it'll leak again in time. Very tough location to work on and add in the staples in the plywood that I guess supports the tub your for arms come out a bloody mess. I could pull but a few of the staples out they do nothing and I assume this was a scrap piece of plywood that already had them in it. The fool used it anyway.

With my extended warranty if it screws up again I am paying the $75 deductible and I am demanding a complete redo of that drain into the gray tank. This is ridiculous how they threw that together. Hopefully it won't come to that but I'm pretty sharp on the common sense side of thinking and it just looks tacky under there to me. Maybe it'll hold till this season is over because I don't see anyone fixing it right in a short time span.

WERA Expert #826
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #8

Your experience has prompted me to investigate under the tub in mine before the next outing.

I prefer to address potentially questionable situations before they become problems.

I've never removed the little 'access panel' to look under the tub ~ but have noticed the tub does flex near the drain when standing in it using the shower.

If it appears the addition of a couple tub support braces will prevent what you experienced, it will be wise to take appropriate action before a problem develops.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #9

Default Bracing

I had a shower drain leak on my old T-139 -- so far no trouble with my new X-139. But I did install extra bracing under the shower pan -- I weigh 225 and the pan would flex under my weight. I used screws to install the braces so that I could take them out if I ever have to work on the drain.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
roy

Eagle the panel comes off with two screws and they had double sided tape on the panel also, sort of aggravating. Bracing under there might be tricky as there is not much room at all. Problem with mine is the baffle section of pipe appears to be a tad to long in turn forcing the 90 degree elbow under tub drain to be in a upward bind. Then when foot pressure is applied from up top the drain pipe is the support by virtue of the bind situation under there. We are both light weights, I'm 155 and well my wife is let's just say a little lighter than than me.

WERA Expert #826
Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #11

I removed the screws (actually 4 screws) and the panel just fell off .... no double sided tape involved here.

Everything looks fine (no sign of ever any leakage) but plan to add some wood support bracing anyway. Being 6'2" and 225# I do notice the flex when in the shower. Of course, would be better if I dropped about 30-40# but much easier said than done.

.................. additional note ...........................................

I pulled the panel off again this afternoon and looked closer. Kinda hard for me to get down and really look close ...... took a flashlight along this time.
1. Everything is dry - no sign of any leakage.
2. I see clearly, the tub rests on a piece of maybe 3/8" thick styrofoam that is on top of a full tub size piece of 1/2" plywood except for the half round cutout for the drain.
3. The plywood is supported on the 'stool side' with well placed 2x4's (either 3 or 4 as couldn't see all the way to the faucet end) and the far side has wood ledges screwed into the walls to support the plywood.
4. It seems, on mine at least, the flex noticed in the tub is from the little bit of give in the 3/8" styrofoam 'cushion' between the bottom of the tub and the supporting plywood.

Actually, the construction and support system looked very professional as did the drain plumbing from the tub outlet running over to near the access panel where it drops thru the floor to the holding tank. The hole thru the floor was well sealed too so no critters could come in.

Therefore, everything is good just as is from the factory.

Hope you have no more problems with yours.