Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #1

Default LED lights

Can someone tell me what's involved with exchanging the regular exterior lights (brake, back up and running) with a LED ? Is it just the bulb or do I need to buy all new exterior lights?

Kallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

The running lights can all be outfitted with LEDs just by changing the bulb. The tail lights, on the other hand, really should be changed by using an "upgrade kit". The kit comes with the LEDs mounted to a flat circuit board, a regular bulb for illuminating the license plate and the proper red lenses to take advantage of the LED illumination and still meet DOT requirements for reflectivity. They do make quite a difference, particularly during the daylight hours...

The lighting fixtures for most of the FunFinders are by Command Electronics (inside and out) and the tail light upgrade kit is:

http://www.commandelectronics.com/led-tail-lights.html

, part #K-0026. Snap to install. BTW, when you replace the bulbs in the running lights, you want to make sure that you put amber LEDs in the yellow housings and red LEDs in the red housings. It makes a difference in perceived luminosity and color retention...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Wow great website, I think I'll start with the exterior and see how it goes, the interior bulbs look a bit expensive to do them all at once.
Kallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

I tried the interior LEDS and actually didn't like them. Too bright and not a pleasing color. I'm probably different from most folks in that I find the stock lights too bright for most uses. When we are in our "relaxing mode", we like the lights dimmer than how they come stock. We tried using smaller battery operated lanterns and turning out the built in lights, but, they were a PITA. I finally bit the bullet and installed dimmer switches on the ceiling lights over the couch and the bed. Perfect. We can set the light level for "romantic" all the way to "stadium" and everything in between!

If I were boondocking a lot and had to rely on my batteries for all my power for long legths of time, I'd go with LEDs just for their low current draw and live with the brightness and color, but, since we stay at CGs with a minimum of electric service, electricity usage isn't an issue.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #5

Default Link to article about replacing interior lights with LED

While poking around the links in this post I found a good article about interior LED lighting options. Here you go!

For the article:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/23315037.cfm

This guy did a bunch of work to put this together. Thanks.

The supplier of the LED "bulbs" he used:

http://www.commandelectronics.com/led-tail-lights.html

Clear down at the bottom of the long list of exterior lighting.
kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Default Interior LED's

I bought a couple LED replacement bulbs for the interior lights from LED wholesalers.com. They are model T10 194 wedge Base 12V DC 15 LED 1.44 Watt in the warm white color for $8 each. I bought 2 to try out. The color is the same as the original bulbs. They are not quite as bright but still bright enough. I think the existing bulbs are a bit too bright. I just place an order to change out the rest of the bulbs. Since everyone's taste varies I would suggest buying a couple, then if you like them buy more. Shipping was cheap. http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=458

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #7

I just ordered led lights for my entire inside ( the ENTIRE 139 LOL) which is maybe 4 double lights??/ Anyhoo, haven't had a chance to play with yet...this weekend I'll get them installed and see how i like them.

Cheap they are not.

I am typing like Yoda why?

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #8

Which ones did you get?

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #9

Default Command Electronics Inc.

I took the plunge and ordered a pair of interior LED lights from Command to replace one of six pairs (900 series) to evaluate and to at least have one set of low power lights. A bit pricey to replace all six pairs without at least trying a pair.

The install was simple as previously described and the light is a very intense white light. The lens was cool to the touch after 5 minutes of usage which couldn't be said for the regular incandescent bulbs they replaced.

I saw there is a 12" LED bar that has two power settings which might be nice over the sink. The low setting at ~0.32 amps might provide a more subdued lighting for those wanting to relax.
210WBS
Equalizer Hitch and Sway Bar
Mozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #10

I finally got a chance to put in my new LED's this weekend (I'm in my last two weeks of school and, to say the least, it is HECTIC). I read many a forum message all over the internet before deciding how many lumens I would need to approximate the brightness of my incandescent bulbs.

my take is:

-I LIKE the white quality of the light...certainly not as yellow as the incandescents...but not a blue-white or obnoxious...mine were labeled "natural white"
-the mounts on mine were a wee bit tender...be careful when putting them into the socket as it is a tight fit...I think I broke a seal on one and will break it if I ever take it out again...so be careful and patient
-the lack of heat is wonderful!
-I tried to take a picture of the light with 1/2 incandescent and 1/2 LED, but the color balance on the camera is doing weird things and makes the LED side look brown...I'll try again
-I got 100 lumens for each side of the double fixtures, but stepped up to 120 lumens (I think) x2 on the overhead in the center of the ceiling and over the countertop..I'll verify this later from home...I be at work now...

They aren't cheap...I paid $100 for 4 @ 100 lumens and 4@ 120 lumens, 8 total. I'll save up a bit and do the outside next. I think the overall savings on the battery and convenience when boondocking will more than make up for the cost in the long run. Mine are the maligned paddle style, but I have not found the design to be a problem with direction...the overall light projection is definitely more downward rather than as wide-angled, but i don't see that to be a huge problem. Efficient, cool, and pleasingly white...I be happy.

PS I'll send venoder info and prices later..the invoice is sitting by the computer at home

Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Site Team

I installed a couple of these in warm white. A bit pricier than the ones you bought at $14.95 each but they are very close to the incandescent bulbs. The chart helps a lot to figure out what exactly you're getting. A typical incandescent bulb would be about 3000K and these are 3100K so it's very close. Side by side in the fixture it was difficult to tell them apart, although the LED's were maybe just a tad less bright.

I've only replaced a couple of them, but eventually I'll do them all.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ED-xHP10-D.htm

Also if you're planning on replacing the outside bulbs, from what I've read you should use an LED bulb the same color as the lens, rather than a white one. So use an amber one for the light outside the entry door and red ones for the tail lights.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #12

OK..I boo-booed a wee tad in my post from work.....

I had ordered
4 120-lumen natural whites 1.75 watt "wedge" bulbs for the double reading lights over the beds @ 11.98 ea and

4 200-lumen CR-90 natural white 2.9 watt "wedge" bulbs @ 12.98 (these went inot a double overhead and the double at the kitchen...I like it bright there

with shipping it came to $106.94

The company is:
prudentrver.com
Two Penny Publications / Prudent RVer
512-632-4626

I am very happy with them!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #13

Just in case anyone wants a comparison, I did test out another bulb with all the LED's on one surface. I think this is similar to the ones that some others on this thread are using.
I used a T10 Base 10 SMD 5050 (they list the wattage wrong on the website it's actually 1.2 watts)
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=632

and a T10 194 wedge Base 12V DC 15 LED 1.44 Watt
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=458

I like both bulbs, they are both equally bright and same color even though the T10 base 10 advertises higher lumens. The T10 194 projects the light a little better out the sides which is nice. My main deciding factor was price.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave
I tried the interior LEDS and actually didn't like them. Too bright and not a pleasing color. I'm probably different from most folks in that I find the stock lights too bright for most uses. When we are in our "relaxing mode", we like the lights dimmer than how they come stock. We tried using smaller battery operated lanterns and turning out the built in lights, but, they were a PITA. I finally bit the bullet and installed dimmer switches on the ceiling lights over the couch and the bed. Perfect. We can set the light level for "romantic" all the way to "stadium" and everything in between!

If I were boondocking a lot and had to rely on my batteries for all my power for long legths of time, I'd go with LEDs just for their low current draw and live with the brightness and color, but, since we stay at CGs with a minimum of electric service, electricity usage isn't an issue.

Webslave

Could you give me more info on the dimmers ?
Did you replace the on off switch with a dimmer,if so what type ?
or did you add a dimmer, if so where and what type.
thanks 442

2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote