Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Default Local mechanic saves the day!

In preparation for the last camping trip of the season I realized that it had been a while since the last time I had the wheel bearings greased ��. I had done it myself the last time and while it's not a technically difficult task, I called a local mechanic and asked if I could swing by and have it done at his shop. The Dexter E-Z Lube hubs do make it easy but I just didn't have the time ��. While it's not absolutely necessary to remove the wheels, my mechanic did to make it easier to remove the old grease and to replace the rubber seal. In the long run that turned out to be a benefit for both of us ��. While taking the wheels off, he noticed some significant tread wear patterns that he said indicated belt damage. To be completely honest, I hadn't inspected the tires very closely for some time and assumed that they were in pretty good shape. He didn't pressure me into buying new tires but suggested that I should consider it. Back home, I looked at them a bit closer and after realizing that they were the OEM tires decided that it was a good idea. I went to a local tire shop for a quote. Their price was higher than the estimated cost the mechanic had quoted and I'd have to wait for them to be ordered and delivered.
Bottom line, I went back to my mechanic and bought a set of tires��. He had to order them too but had a shorter turn around time. After he mounted up the new ones, he showed me the old ones and said that three of the four were on the verge of failing and that if one went, it would be likely to take another with it. Don't exactly know how true that statement was but I have experience a blowout before with a different trailer and it wasn't fun��.
Anyway now I have a new set of 8 ply tires and some peace of mind����. If I have any issues on our final trip of the season, I'm pretty sure that it won't be wheel related!
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #2

Well done! And now, I'm going outside to look at my tires . . . .

Old 10-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
APD

Good catch!
Actually I believe you deserve some of the credit as it was your idea that set off the chain of events the led to the great outcome.

(I'm going out and look at my tires too) ......

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:54 AM   #4

I installed new Goodyear Endurance tires on my unit this spring.

You didn't mention what brand tires you purchased.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #5

Well, I'm a bit relieved to learn that I'm not the only one to do more than take a cursory glance at my camper's tires fromtime to time. I'll endeavor to do better in the future ! Additionally, I'm kicking my tire "Care & Maintenance" routine up a notch by getting a set of tire covers to protect the tires from the "elements" while in storage or parked waiting for the next camping trip. When I bought the camper several years ago, there was a totally beat up set of covers included with the collection of stuff left in the rig by the previous owner. They were in such bad shape I just pitched them! I guess I just never got around to getting another set. So now I have the replacements! Most of the ones I was seeing on Amazon were either white or silver. The ones I bought are more of a charcoal gray (but listed as black). I'm thinking that most of the time they will be covering the tires in the "storage mode" i.e. not exposed to direct sunlight, so I wasn't so concerned about getting the lighter colored ones. They were reasonably priced at less than $20 USD.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #6

I use white tire covers and also treat the tires with 303 about twice a year.
Protects then from UV rays and Keeps them looking like new!

https://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html#

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aer.../dp/B000XBCURW
Old 10-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I use white tire covers and also treat the tires with 303 about twice a year.
Protects then from UV rays and Keeps them looking like new!

https://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html#

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aer.../dp/B000XBCURW
I considered the white ones but after seeing how ugly/dirty the other ones that came with the camper had become, I decided on the darker ones.
I do have a bottle of the aerospace 303 that I use on my truck's tonneau cover but never thought of using it on tires. Years ago, after reading that " tire beautification" products weren't doing much more than temporarily making tire look nice (and with some products actually causing damage), I've shied away from treating tires with anything more than soap and water. I may have to reconsider my position .
BTW, the new tires that I just purchased are Power King TowMAX II load range D 8 ply trailer tires. OK, they're not a mainstream brand but the reviews were mostly positive and I wasn't in the position to spend a lot of time "tire shopping"! Our outing this past weekend totaled about 350 miles and included Interstate (70mph) and County/State highways (50-60mph). The trailer handled nicely. I'll try to keep a mileage log to see just how many miles these tires last.
RipVan

Old 10-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #8

RipVan; Yes, the white covers do get dirty but white reflects so less heat behind the cover next to the tire. May not make alot of difference however. Anyway, when washing the unit, only takes a few minutes to do the tire covers too.
I too use the 303 on TV bed cover and rubber pad on rear bumper .. and the tires since it's a UV preventer. Some say the do the decals on their campers but never tried that.
Not familiar with Power King tires. I ordered the GY Endurance from Discount Tires .. best price of $370 & free shipping at the time w/$60 rebate visa card. Took the camper wheels and new tires to Walmart; removed old tires and mounted new one's on the rims for $55 so rebate paid for switch.
I did NOT have them balanced as installed balance beads in the tires....so they are ALWAYS in balance. DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads These are awesome and have used them in tires for years.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #9

If my "darker" covers wear out before my "joy of camping with my current TT" does , I'll get a lighter colored set next time!
As I mentioned, time constraints had me going with what my mechanic guy was offering. After the fact research shows the Power King brand being carried by The TireRack. The TowMax II model had decent reviews (mostly) so I believe that I did OK. The D load rating with 8 plies excedes the LR C with 6 plies on the OEM tires. I was "out the door" for $325 which included mounting, balancing, old tire disposal and tax. I may have been able to do better elsewhere but "quick and easy" has value. Plus, I gave some business to a local shop which is always good for the local economy!
Generally speaking, our camping trips are "regional" and within a 250 mile radius of home. We have done longer big circuit trips but that's not the norm. I believe that I will see a reasonably long life with these tires.
RipVan