Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Default Locking Lug Nut

On our new to us 2013 214WSD Cruiser Fun Finder TT we have a locking lug nut on one of the tires with no way to remove it. Can any one help?

Also has anyone experienced no trailor tail lights? We have brake lights and turn signals but cannot figure out why we don't have tail lights. So far we have not driven in the dark and won't be able to until we can figure out the problem. Thanks for any help!

Cynsew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

Are you sure that the lug nut is locked? I am pretty sure that this is not standard equipment on the trailer. If it is a locking nut, it was probably put on by the person who sold you the trailer -- have you tried contacting him?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

We purchased the trailor from a dealer in another state. I cannot find a wrench or socket to fit it. It is not the same size as the others. It is smaller, but the smaller sockets won't fit it.
Cynsew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
M&M

Default lug nut

HI,

I think you may have a lug nut that failed. Our camper had lug nuts that were manufactured in 2 parts and were very prone to separation and also to deformation when trying to remove the nuts. The steel lug nut is one part, and a plated cap is fitted over the steel nut. The plated cap does fit a lug nut wrench, but if it comes off, the remaining steel nut is not a standard size. The cap can also get jammed in the lug nut wrench and be difficult to remove. I removed all of the two piece lug nuts and replaced them with one piece chromed lug nuts. I didn't want to have a problem trying to remove a wheel along the road. There are standard non plated lug nuts that fit also. You probably have this type of nut holding your spare tire on.
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

The locking lug nut can best be removed by a locksmith. They might have a way to "pick" the lock. In my area there are locksmith stands in the parking lots of bigger stores. You might be able to tow the trailer to one so you don't have to pay a fee to get the locksmith to your place. I'd be calling the dealer to see if they would cover the cost of the locksmith.

The taillight problem could be many things. Electrical problems can be buggers. I would start with the plug between tow vehicle and the trailer. Is power coming from the tow vehicle? Does the power get to the trailer side of the plug? Use WD 40 or something similar to clean off the connections. Use small file or something to clean if the prongs are too dirty. Did the lights work at the dealer before you started towing? Are the bulbs still good with clean bulb to socket connections. Remember the taillights have two filaments. Beyond this you need to check the wires for breaks or shorts and check continuity of the wires.

My experience with wiring is try the simple stuff first. Look at the connection points to make they are all good. Make sure everything is grounded. Grounding is often the weak point in the wiring. If this doesn't work start at the first known connection, trailer plug, and use a volt meter or tester with a sharp point. Trace the wires, checking the continuity by sticking the point of a grounded tester into the wires until you find the spot that the electricity stops. Work your way from this spot with no power back to the plug. This process will eventually lead you to the bad spot in the wire.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #6

On the TV/camper connection I use dielectric grease. It's also useful on battery post connections and light bulb connections to keep the contact clean and make good electrical contact.

It is found at most box stores (walmart/kmart, etc.) any auto parts store and here:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058.../dp/B000AL8VD2

Old 07-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

All the exterior lights on our 2015 214 WSD are LED and work great I might add

Old 07-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

The locking lug nut is probably a puzzle nut where you need a special tool that matches the puzzle configuration of the nut. Any tire center has the tools to take these off. Have found the led lights on these trailers to be a bit of a problem. The resistors on the boards will fry very easily then no lights. If you take one of the lenses off you will see the board, unscrew it from its mountings. Behind it you will see the wires that come out and with the trailer hooked up to the tow vehicle and using either a volt meter or a lighted circuit tester see if you are getting any voltage to the board. If you are getting voltage your board is gone and needs replacement. If no voltage you have a wiring problem. You did not indicate if you have running lights on the front and sides, if you have these then you have an internal wiring problem and need to take it back to the dealer or find somebody near to sort it out.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
Site Team

^^^+1 I agree. Any tire shop can easily remove it. They will also have a replacement lug nut that will match the ones on there now.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote