Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #41

Did you take any pictures of the ceiling/roof removal? I am trying to find some pictures/video of the roof assembly to see if I need to open mine up to clean or not.

wolfgheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgheist
Did you take any pictures of the ceiling/roof removal? I am trying to find some pictures/video of the roof assembly to see if I need to open mine up to clean or not.
There are videos on UTube of construction in the factory.

Here is one of them.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #43

Thanks, but I have watched all of those already and unfortunately they show the rounds type of roof on the larger trailers and not how the flat style is formed at all, and thy even miss some key sections of the rounded style.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #44

Quote:
There are a few pictures of me taking out the roof earlier in this thread. I don't have any more pictures other then those.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #45

I figured I would give everybody that is following this thread an update. Progress has hit an all time slow point. After working on the camper EVERY weekend during the summer, my wife and I burned ourselves out. We needed a break. We basically decided to stop for now (since it is getting cold) and pick up more towards spring. It is useable so I'm not worried about missing any trips next spring and summer. We did frame out the rest of the counter top. The sink and stove are in but not plumbed. Sorry but I didn't have my camera when I did this.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #46

Looking4fun, do you remember what the layers of the roof were? Were there any gaps between the layer, or was everything glued together? I am having to strip out the the inside walls and floor to clean out a bug infestation in a trailer I bought, and just want to know if there are open spaces in the ceiling that they could have nested in, and if so how difficult it would be to also remove the ceiling to clean it out.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #47

Quote:
Looking4fun, do you remember what the layers of the roof were? Were there any gaps between the layer, or was everything glued together? I am having to strip out the the inside walls and floor to clean out a bug infestation in a trailer I bought, and just want to know if there are open spaces in the ceiling that they could have nested in, and if so how difficult it would be to also remove the ceiling to clean it out.
What year trailer do you have? My funfinder is a 2003. How they assembled the roof was a sheet of paneling, then about an inch think by 1ft wide piece of plywood all the way around the perimeter, then the center was filled with Styrofoam, and then put another piece of paneling over it all and slapped a rubber roof on it. I thought I could have mind done in a month maybe too. Now its 4 months of working every weekend and dome day before or after work, and I'm still not done. I thought I only needed to take off the inside walls but found out there was stud damage and the siding need to come off also. There is plenty of pics on here for you to see what I did. Good luck with your rebuild. I hope some of them help you with your rebuild. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #48

Default Lets Finish this thing!

Hey everybody. Haven't posted recently because not much was done over the winter besides some plumbing. I was hopping for another mild winter so I could finish my funfinder project but mother nature decided to hit us with more snow then we got in the last 3 years, sub freezing temps most of the winter, and I took a new job that has a initial pay cut. So I have to work overtime when I can. Also we adopted a baby girl so she has taken up most of our time this winter. But spring is here, temps are warming up, and I am finally getting a handle on being a daddy. So Im going to try and start finishing up this project. I want to get this thing done before the summer season so we can introduce my daughter to the world of camping! Probably going to start the first weekend in april so check back for more pictures now and then.[/b]
Old 03-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #49

Wow this is great enjoyed seeing the progress!
Good Luck can't wait to see more.
Hideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #50

Default Congrats!

That little girl does not yet know how lucky she is, but someday she will -- well done, and happy camping!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #51

Default Great Job!!!

Keep us updated with photos. You're doing a awesome job and I can't wait to see it now. I know you must have hundreds of hours spent on the rebuild. Great job!!!!
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #52

There has been movement on my project! I know I said first weekend in April but my little girl, wife, and work have been monopolizing my time. So took 2 days of vac to work on my camper. Today was all about selves and walls. Framed the wall for the bathroom and the 3rd wall for the shower. Put 3 shelves in the bathroom, 2 by the front door and one over the sink and stove. Also mounted the hood over the stove. Then more paneling! I got more aluminum for the shower walls and counter top. The metal place I usually use won't cut/bend the metal for me because I didn't buy from them. The reason I didn't buy from them is because they couldn't get the size I needed. So I need to figure out a new plan for the shower and counter. Might rent a flashing brake from Home Depot. Tomorrow I'm tackling the vents in the roof, plumbing, and maybe counter top if I can figure out a way to bend the metal. Don't have as much time tomorrow to work on the camper as I did today. Pics soon to come just got to get them off the camera![/img]
Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #53

Old 06-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #54

Hey guys! Just got done working on the camper for the day. The work I did today wasn't really picture worthy (not much really changed look wise) so I decided to skip on the pics. But this is what I got done today. Both ceiling vents were installed, gray water and black water tank vents installed, and started mocking up the fixture knobs in the shower. Cant permanently mount them until I figure out how to bend the metal for the surround but its in place. Also started to connect the fresh water tanks plumbing but since this thing has been apart for almost a year now I cant remember where I put the fittings (parts are literally EVERYWHERE!!!!) , so it was off to home depot for new ones. Im very happy a lot of the house hold stuff works on campers because the nearest camper parts store is an hour drive away. Home depot I could walk to in like 10 min. Next planned time to work on the camper is july 10th and 11th so check back for a progress update!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #55

Default UPDATE!!!! UPDATE!!!!

After another 2 days of working on my camper I am down to the nitty gritty now.
Shower surround is in! Not the prettiest thing but it will work!

Counter top is in! Sink just need the mounting tabs installed, other then that the sink and stove are fully functional! My wife is going to be making a curtain cover for the front of the counter.

Water tank and plumbing is finished!

More pics of plumbing and new gas line for the stove. Water must have gotten into the line and froze over the winter because it was bulging and had a crack in it. Also added drains for winterizing the trailer. The original design only had 1 drain. Idk why they did it like that but I added a second.

Replaced those stupid support legs with screw jacks. I forgot my grinder and cut off wheel so I had to saw-all the welds to get them off. Can you believe they had only 2 very small beads along the back and just tack welded the parts you couldn't see with out going under! I hope I never have to remove the screw jack because I welds the hell out of them to make sure they stay on. lol

The tongue jack was bent backwards so I cut out the old one (went to harbor freight to buy a grinder) hammered the metal so it was flat and welded in a new tongue jack. I still need to put a support piece on the bottom of the frame to support the jack. The old support metal was ripped out.

One of the vents I installed.

And my new sway controller! Can't wait to try it out!

Besides that I hooked up my hose garden hose and tested the plumbing. No leaks inside but I my gray water pipe is cracked so I have to fix that leak. I haven't officially tried the water pump yet but it did run before I took everything apart. Oh and the pump does hold pressure because when I took one of the lines off I got shot in the face with water. Installed the rest of the propane lines and the stove does work! Haven't tried the water heater yet but I will soon, just crossing my fingers that it works. The propane lines still need to be secured under the camper. And I want to paint the roof white to try and reflect as much sun/heat as possible. I also installed 2 degree levels on the camper so I can level out the camper (I purchased the BAL tire leveler to do the side to side leveling) Other then that its just little stuff that I need to finish up. My project is almost coming to an end, so now its time to get out there and use it!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #56

On a side note. I had the issue of trying to bend the aluminum for the shower and the counter top. I rented an aluminum flashing bender from Home Depot in hopes to bend my 18 gauge aluminum (0.040 thickness) well I think I pushed that pushed that flashing bender to its absolute extremes. It did eventually get every thing bent but there was a lot of muscling and a lot of "please don't break, please don't break". Lol but it did get the job done.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #57

OMG, your redo is so awesome! I finally took the time to read all the way through! Gorgeous work. Congrats on both your babies!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX160_CT
OMG, your redo is so awesome! I finally took the time to read all the way through! Gorgeous work. Congrats on both your babies!
Thanks for taking a peek at my thread! lol Lots of time has been spent on this overhaul and its finally almost finished. I have a feeling it might take along time to finish up all of the little minor stuff, like some trim molding and sanding. But for the most part the camper is usable. Just haven't tested the hot water heater yet and I'm hoping it works properly. Lots of money put into this camper and I don't think I can afford a new hot water heater right now. I closed off the valve to the hot water heater when I tested the plumbing. The propane lines weren't hooked up yet so I figured one thing at a time. Idk how many more pictures there will be but I will definitely post more once the overhaul is closer to being done and the camper is cleaned up.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #59

Ok everybody I'm looking for your opinion. I put my license plate where my spare tire was. The license plate covers up 2 of the mounting holes for the spare tire mount but if you look at the pic with my plate you can still see where the 2 bottom holes were. They are an eye sore to me and want to cover them up with some type of camping/RVing/hiking vanity plate attached to the bottom of the license plate. I haven't found much so if you see anything can you post where you saw it, a pic of it, or the website you saw it on. thanks everyone!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #60

Hey everyone. Did alittle bit more work to the camper today. Biggest thing in did was install 2 deep cycle batteries on the tongue of the camper with battery boxes. I didn't have my camera with me to take pics but I will take a pic of them next time. They are mounted and all the wiring is done except for installing an inline fuse and switch. Other things I got done today was finishing up paneling my wheel well, making a cover for the gray water tank vent pipe, securing all the LP lines under the camper, making another access cover so I can easily get to the trap for the shower, testing the fresh water pump, testing the hot water heater (I got hot water!), tested the toilet (no I didn't actually use it, it was just a functional test) and making sure there are no leaks from my fresh water tank. So basically all the appliances are useable now, which I am very happy about! Due to me being 6' I dought I will be taking many shower in the camper but my wife fits perfectly in there. Just need to get the shower curtain and the shower head put on and it will be good to go. Also need to install toilet paper roll holder and a curtain for the door. Once those things are done the bathroom will be finished. Still need to finish the jack support, some more paneling, paint the roof and I think that will be the last of the big stuff. Everything else is just little things that will probably take me the next 10 year to finally finish. Lol well I hope everybody enjoyed reading and following along idk how many more post I will have but if I do any more mods or find any thing I may need to tweek I'll post it up. Also if anybody has any question about repairs I did, where I got material, etc feel free to ask! I'm not a professional camper tech but I will tell you what I did or how I would do it. Thanks again every one for following it's been a fun ride!