Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #1

Default MaxxAir vent cover

After reading past threads RE: issues with the MaxxFan ventilation upgrade, I put the idea of getting one out of my mind and decided to “live” with the OEM crank up vent cover/exhaust fan that came with the camper. I briefly considered the Camco vent cover but passed because I (wrongly) thought that I’d have to drill holes into the roof. I know now that it isn’t necessary to do so . Anyway, my wife came across a MaxxAir vent cover on FaceBook Marketplace for $20. (The Camco cover was ~$32 when I was looking and the current pricing for the MaxxAir I was about the same). I figured for 20 bucks I’d be OK. The original owner took the vent off his camper when he bought a new one and didn’t need it. Other than a little road grime, the MaxxAir vent was in “like new” condition. One thing I didn’t realize was that it was the opaque black version (it thought it was translucent). I don’t believe that will be an issue tho since we routinely put an opaque screen across the vent opening to keep the morning sunlight out of “sleeping beauty’s” eyes . I am looking forward to being able to leave the crank up vent open regardless of weather conditions.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #2

Well done! Good luck on the installation -- as I recall, it was not too tricky, but I never enjoy working on the roof of my trailer. Aside from the risk of falling, I am always worried that my boots will damage the roof.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:41 PM   #3

Yeah, it sounds crazy but just got my x210 out of storage on Friday (27 May)! Didn’t have plans for camping until June so didn’t see the need to have the rig sitting out in the elements for no reason.
Anyway, got right to the task of mounting the “new to me” MaxxAir vent. Watched a couple of YouTube videos which made the process look pretty easy (and yes it was!). Spent most of the time assembling the necessary tools, equipment and plywood sheets I put on the roof to minimize damage. The actual mounting maybe took 15 minutes.
As mentioned in my OP, the vent cover is opaque but there is a small amount of light that reflects up from the roof and in thru the vents louvered back area. Not enough to disturb “Sleeping Beauty” tho .
I’m not completely convinced that the louvers will prevent water from a “hard rain” from ending up on the foot end of the bed but may have a “test run” this coming Tuesday! We’ll see.
Lastly, while lying on the bed and looking up thru the vent opening, I realized that I should have taken the time to clean the underside of the OEM vent dome. I think that it will be possible to do so from the inside of the camper but it will require removal of the bottom portion of the vent mounting trim. Just would have been a lot easier to have done it while up on the roof . I hope others learn from my oversight!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote