Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #1

Default Micro Air, soft start for AC

Well I installed the Micro Air soft start to my AC. I was very easy to install and works. I can run my AC on my Honda 2200 generator. The AC starts up no problem. Once installed I noticed it allows the fan to start first and run for a few seconds then the compressor kick in.

If you try to run your AC with the Honda 2200 generator and the AC bogs down the generator, try switching on your fan on first for a few seconds and then switch over to AC and see if that works for you.

Wonder if I could have saved me 300 bucks.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #2

Rest assured that a soft start is not snake oil. The issue is that the compressor is a capacitor run motor and normally there is nothing to limit the initial surge current except for the resistance of the windings in series with the run capacitor. This results in an initial current of 30 Amps or more. The soft start kit (and there are several other brands) circumvent this by employing an electronic circuit that will reliably start the compressor at a much lower current.

For those who have heard of a hard start kit for home and commercial air conditioners, it has the opposite function and provides an even higher initial current to the motor to help it to spin for the first few revolutions and then reverts to a normal capacitor run configuration. Hard starts are definitely not what you would want for RV AC compressors!

Old 09-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

I looked at the soft start gizmo but decided NOT to purchase one.

I always carry my TWO Honda EU2000I gennny w/parallel cables if no elect hookups available or use shore power when available. A few times when traveling stayed in Walmart parking lots ... temps outside were in the 90's so used the two Honda gens and had no problems.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #4

JimBoFunfindrer, well so far I am happy with it. I haven't been able to use the AC at elevation yet but plan on hopefully getting a chance to give it a try up in Sequoia at the end of the month. I hear all national forest in Cali are closed because of the fires out here so ill keep my fingers crossed. From what I understand you loose 2 percent of generator power for each 1k feet of altitude. I not sure about the technical parts of generators and AC but I tried to run my AC with my Honda 2200 at about 5k feet and the AC would bog the generator down and not start. Hopefully this Micro Air will fix the problem.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #5

Eagle, two generators would be great, I believe if I was able to camp for extended periods of time I may have went that route. Hopefully this will work for me. However it seems like the older I get the more luxuries I like. I've probably taken my TT out boondocking less than 10 times in the last 4 years. Before that I was a tent camper for many years so even though this 139 is small its a big step up in luxury for me.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #6

1kotonk ... Understand as before I purchased a camper, always camped in a tent which was the only camping option when traveling via Motorcycle.
However, as time passed these old bones sought better accommodations/comforts when camping and still didn't want to give up the motorcycle so opted for the toy hauler.
And since the two Hondas are smaller & easy to move compared to a large 5,000 or 6,000 unit, went for them plus can also be utilized elsewhere as a pair on single.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kotonk View Post
Well I installed the Micro Air soft start to my AC. I was very easy to install and works. I can run my AC on my Honda 2200 generator. The AC starts up no problem. Once installed I noticed it allows the fan to start first and run for a few seconds then the compressor kick in.

If you try to run your AC with the Honda 2200 generator and the AC bogs down the generator, try switching on your fan on first for a few seconds and then switch over to AC and see if that works for you.

Wonder if I could have saved me 300 bucks.
So...AC’s work harder at higher elevations and smaller generators have reduced power at higher elevations... so... what elevations have you tested the setup?
Agnitio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #8

Agnitio, I intended to test it out at Lodge Pole Campground in Sequoya National park. California closed all the parks because of the fires out here.

I haven't been able to test it at elevation yet. I tried to run my AC with my generator at McGill campground near Frazier Park, I believe its around 5k and the AC would kill the generator.

Ill post a report as soon as I can get up to some elevation and test it out.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #9

I noticed there have been three separate posts recently regarding running the rooftop AC with a portable generator. Here is my recent (failed) experience with a Micro-Air EasyStart 364:
My trailer has a Coleman Mach 3 plus rooftop AC, model 48203C966. I own a 5 year old Honda 2000 generator with less than 100 hours on it. After installing the unit carefully per instructions, I was unable to get my generator to run the AC unit. It would start the fan and once the compressor kicked in, the generator lugged down briefly then the Micro-Air disconnected the compressor circuit. I spoke with a Micro-Air tech via phone and email multiple times. He was VERY responsive/helpful and had me do multiple tests. Nothing helped and I eventually sent the unit back for a refund. I have nothing but positive praise for the techs and the helpful Micro-Air website.

Now I'm convinced that a Honda 2000 is just not powerful enough to run an RV AC unit reliably. Sure, there are people out there who are pulling it off with one of the many available soft-start units, but they likely flip several breakers off in the RV (ie., 120v refrigerator, charger/converter, electric water heater) before starting the unit. They also are not likely running the unit in extreme conditions like 100 degrees ambient and/or 4000' or higher elevation. As Eagle pointed out, you need to generate way more watts for reliability. So far, I am not willing to carry more generator weight with me.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #10

Seems it would be wise to invest in a inverter/generator set-up that produced ample power or take a chance and end up replacing the A/C unit.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:57 PM   #11

jbfunfinder, I was able to run my AC off my Honda 2200 at sea level but not in the mountains 4500 feet. My intentions was to try running the AC at altitude but I didn't get a chance to get to the mountains this summer. To many fires in Cali.