Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Default Mod : Closet door open now the other way - Easy, very practical, quick mod

I saw this mod here in the group and I thought it was a brilliant idea. In a million years, I could not have come up with this idea myself. I am so thankful someone took the time to post it here and I read it and it was an aha moment for me.

Thank you everyone for all the tips and practical ideas, this one I copied from here and it works like a charm ! This closet should have come out of the factory like this. Pics were taken while we work on the trailer, adding more shelves in the pantry to the left. Our mods are a work in progress.

Pic 1 : Before - Door knop on the left hand side
Pic 2 : After - Door knop now on the Right hand side
Pics 3 and 4 : Mods we have done so far in this area. Added shelves in the tall clothes closet and in the TV shelf area. Added one big cover over the sink and stove area for prep and counter space . Moved the black inverter box backwards to make space for 2 pairs of shoes on the floor. Took out the radio, as the sound is not great, and the little light on the front drains the battery. We are still thinking what to replace the radio with.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside cupboards.png   Closer door swing the other way now 2.jpg   Closet door swing the other way After.jpg   Closet door open.jpg  

Old 08-09-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

What to replace the radio with?? More storage, of course! We got a little (but powerful) hand held radio to get the weather broadcasts when we are boondocking far beyond the range of commercial radio stations. It has much better sound than the big radio did.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #3

Very nicely done, good mod. But, I'm intrigued with the layout of your 139! I love the light wood, and the kitchen is on the door side! Do you have a sink in the bigger bathroom? I'm assuming the bathroom is bigger because of the diagonal wall. My closet is next to the fridge, and in the back, we have tall cabinets with shelves on either side of a drawer stack with a vanity mirror. Then our bathroom is squeezed into the space that's left. No sink. Also our kitchen is opposite of the door. And our cabinets are a dark honey color, yours are so pretty!
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

I didn't notice your trailer is larger than a t139. No wonder it has a different layout
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Love your mods! We have an older trailer the same size but without the slide (189FBR). The kitchen is on the other wall so our layouts a little different. However the back of our trailer is exactly the same as yours. You are smart to put the shelves in right away, we have had ours for 10 years and I just now am putting shelves in the wardrobe. However, we want a little bit of hanging room so I'm no sure how I'm going to manage it. Anyway I wanted to tell you something you could do while you have everything apart. The wall on the right hand inside of the wardrobe is probably a wet wall with a vent pipe running up from the black tank. If so, you can open up one side and put shelves in there. You will get shelves about 4 in deep, if you extend them a little past the wall face. I have pics if you want.

Liz
Old 08-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

My apologies, I was not clear enough in my original description. We have a 2011 Shadow Cruiser 18.5ft.

We just came back from a few days on the road camping, and to our amazement, we found out this door mod has an added benefit ! With the closet door fully open, it blocks the entry door view and it gives us a lot of privacy, which we did not have before.

We use our bathroom a lot on the road, and now I can leave the outside door open ( screen door is closed, but people previously could still see me ) and sit on the toilet and have this closet door fully open and people can only see my feet sticking out. The bathroom is very small and claustofaubic with the bathroom door closed.

Its also very convenient for those of us who likes to walk around naked in their trailer, between the bathroom and the bedroom area. With this closet door open, it gives you a ton of privacy. What sticks out now, is your feet and your head. The rest of you is very well hidden then behind this open closet door.
Attached Thumbnails
Mod Closet  Door change giving Privacy1.jpg   Mod Closet Door Change giving now Privacy.jpg  
Old 08-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #7

That certainly is an added benefit of that new door -- as long as it does not swing closed at an inopportune moment . . . . Just for insurance, maybe a bungee cord from the handle to a cup-hook mounted near the control panel??
Old 08-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #8

LOL Profdant, that is funny I had a good laugh here now. The joys and lighter moments of camping ! Thank you for the bunyee cord idea.

I will make sure that the door has a stiff connection to the bracket that makes it swing back and forth. Also a big wind gust can start blowing the door closed at an inopportune moment, with somebody with good eye sight, directly looking at our trailer door. It can be an embarrasing, awkward moment forsure !
Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKolla View Post
Also a big wind gust can start blowing the door closed at an inopportune moment, with somebody with good eye sight, directly looking at our trailer door. It can be an embarrasing, awkward moment for sure !
Or an opportunity to make new friends........
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

Profdant139, can you post more info on the radio you mentioned on this post. I am looking for a boondocking radio
1kotonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #11

This is the one we use -- the C. Crane Skywave. Not cheap, but it really works well:

https://www.rei.com/product/101541/c...oaAgxCEALw_wcB
Old 08-20-2018, 02:41 AM   #12

Thanks Profdant139

1kotonk is offline   Reply With Quote