Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
PaintyLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 498
Default Mounting kayak on camper roof

Okay here's my latest idea - how about carrying a 12-foot kayak on top of the camper?

Other than the problem of how to get it up there in the first place, I'm wondering about putting tie downs. I think I could just bolt straight through to the interior and put for eye bolts that I can attach straps to.

Has anyone had experience mounting anything on the roof to carry it?

The kayak is 12 and a half feet long and only weighs about 70 pounds I think.

Thoughts anyone?

Liz
__________________

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Garland Texas
Posts: 48
Default

I do not think putting an eyebolt through the roof is a good idea. Just asking for leaks.
__________________

__________________
Charles

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,289
Default

I agree with Charles. Huge opportunity for leaks.
__________________
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 210 WBS
Prodigy P3
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
PaintyLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasWray View Post
I do not think putting an eyebolt through the roof is a good idea. Just asking for leaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I agree with Charles. Huge opportunity for leaks.
Darn I hate when you shoot down my ideas .

There's so many other things up there that go through the roof why would this be an issue? It's probably moot I doubt that I'm going to figure out a way to put a kayak up there anyway.

Liz
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Fort Saskatchewan Alberta
Posts: 243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
Okay here's my latest idea - how about carrying a 12-foot kayak on top of the camper?

Other than the problem of how to get it up there in the first place, I'm wondering about putting tie downs. I think I could just bolt straight through to the interior and put for eye bolts that I can attach straps to.

Has anyone had experience mounting anything on the roof to carry it?

The kayak is 12 and a half feet long and only weighs about 70 pounds I think.

Thoughts anyone?

Liz
If it was me I would stay away from any more holes in the roof as possible. Years ago with my first RV I carried my 14' boat on top of it. It was a 1972 Tow Low hard wall travel trailer so height was not an issue. I just made a boat rack out of 28 cross pieces with end pieces screwed on the end to make a shallow U to keep it from moving side to side and carpet to protect the camper. Then ratchet straps front and back to the frame. Used that for years and it trailered very well. Luckily two people could load it standing on the ground with no issues. I was young, strong and most importantly had no money so being a farm boy I learned how to make due. I am not too sure how tall your unit is but our 2015 210uds is 10 feet tall, I am not to sure I want to go even higher. Just some thoughts to consider. Silverado
Attached Images
   
__________________
2015 FunFinder 210uds, 2014 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Regular Cab Short Box, 5.3l with towing package
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,289
Default

The other roof penetrations tend to be larger with flanges to spread out the forces applied as your driving down the road. An eye bolt is going to concentrate the forces at a single point and will probably flex like crazy.
Rather than poke holes in the roof and have lift a kayak up there, why not go with an inflatable? We have one of these:
https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370
__________________
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 210 WBS
Prodigy P3
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
PaintyLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
The other roof penetrations tend to be larger with flanges to spread out the forces applied as your driving down the road. An eye bolt is going to concentrate the forces at a single point and will probably flex like crazy.
Rather than poke holes in the roof and have lift a kayak up there, why not go with an inflatable? We have one of these:
https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370
Our son gave us one of those a few years ago. We also have two sit in kayaks, we actually get better gas mileage using our kayaks on a slant in the back of the truck.

Now we want to bring our favorite kayak, our tandem Hobie.
BTW that is not a picture of us lol

It's only 2 feet larger than our cheapo sit ins, so if we move the bikes out of the truck, we should have room, but I was just considering other options.

Liz
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
PaintyLiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
If it was me I would stay away from any more holes in the roof as possible. Years ago with my first RV I carried my 14' boat on top of it. It was a 1972 Tow Low hard wall travel trailer so height was not an issue. I just made a boat rack out of 28 cross pieces with end pieces screwed on the end to make a shallow U to keep it from moving side to side and carpet to protect the camper. Then ratchet straps front and back to the frame. Used that for years and it trailered very well. Luckily two people could load it standing on the ground with no issues. I was young, strong and most importantly had no money so being a farm boy I learned how to make due. I am not too sure how tall your unit is but our 2015 210uds is 10 feet tall, I am not to sure I want to go even higher. Just some thoughts to consider. Silverado
That is a neat idea. I was thinking it could fit next to the AC and not add any height. Since hubby and I are both in our sixties doubt we can actual heavy it up to the roof anyway lol.

Liz
__________________

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kayak, mounting, roof

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Fun Finder RV, Cruiser RV, or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×