Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
...A coat hanger now graces the bathroom door, wife's idea. I'm not too sure about it.
Lots of nice mods to make it your own. Wish I was so handy!

Your wife's right - great idea on the hooks. I have the same unit and more. I stretch out my shower towel to dry, hang sweatshirts (oops - today, that should be hoodie)...tons and tons of miscellaneous uses. Your wife's smart!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #22

Great mods! Thanks for posting all of this.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #23

Great mods. descriptions and photos ! Thanks.!!
Were the new led fixtures the same size or larger than the originals so you don't see any marks in the ceiling?
dnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnto View Post
Great mods. descriptions and photos ! Thanks.!!
Were the new led fixtures the same size or larger than the originals so you don't see any marks in the ceiling?
The new fixtures were slightly smaller than the originals so there was no way to position them without leaving at least one screw hole showing. I'll eventually fix those holes up with nice looking apprentice plugs. This smaller size was unfortunate but the difference in brightness was well worth it. These are a little brighter than the original standard bulbs and a lot brighter than the LED bulbs that I purchased on Ebay. I'm very happy with them. In fact, I ordered two more single sided ones to replace the glass sconces that are on the front wall. They have not arrived yet.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #25

Have you ever noticed the little plastic "pod" that is under the trailer beneath the trailer. I pulled mine off just to see what is in there. PIPES!! No surprise.

The big surprise though is that the pod is held on with only two screws and it is poorly sealed again water leakage. I applied silicone all around the edge of mine before re-securing it with 4 screws.

If you let water seep in there, it will eventually rot your floor.
Attached Thumbnails
P8180013.JPG   P8180012.JPG  
Old 08-21-2016, 11:07 PM   #26

Default Watch for loose drain valves

I was poking around under the trailer the other day after returning from our 1st trip and I noticed that the plumber's tape (metal strap) that secures the sewer drain valves was broken. Plumbers tape is not all that strong if subjected to vibration and flexing. The broken tape was allowing the pipes to wiggle up and down...bad.

I replaced the old with two pieces of the same tape. I'll improve on it someday.... not now.
Attached Thumbnails
P8180011.JPG  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #27

Grrr. Our TT brakes squeak really loud. I pulled the right side wheels off and inspected them the other day and all looks find....greased the bearings too. Still squealed pretty bad. I'll do the left side tomorrow. Its hard to tell where it is coming from. We'll see.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #28
APD

Chirpz, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard ain't it!!
I cured ours, for the most part, by using a little dab (very small) of hi-temp grease where the shoes contact/rub against the backing plate.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #29

Default Raised the front cabinet!!

Yea!! I raised the front cabinet! Now we can get in and out of bed without bumping our heads. We can even sit up in bed and read. What a NICE difference.

If you want to do the same, you probably can. It is not super easy, but I would not call it difficult either. Sort of in between. Here is a simple run down on the the procedure.

1. Remove cabinet doors using philips screw driver (Drill gun with screw tip is nice.)

2. Let the cabinet down into the bed position. Remove all the hinges. Remove the cabinet front from the trailer. Remove the flip latches.

3. From beneath, remove all the screws that you can get to that fasten the bottom shelf to the aluminum rails. In my case, 4 screws were hidden behind the curtains. I left them for last and then using a thin pry bar and a little elbow grease, I pried the shelf upward ripping the screws out in the process. It was not difficult. (You do not have to remove the curtains!!)

4. Draw a line along the top of the metal railing on both sides of the trailer so that you know exactly where it was. Remove all the metal railings and the wood backer that is behind the front railing. Also remove any misc plastic trim that is in the way.

5. A skill saw is now required. This is the hardest part. Trim the back of the shelf so that it is 15 1/4" wide. (Always cut stuff upside down so that the saw does not scratch up the good surface.) (Use your own measurement in case our trailers are different.)

6. Cut the cabinet front down 7 3/4 inches. I cut 5 3/4" from the top of it and the other 2" from the bottom of it. (Make your own measurements rather than using mine...just in case your trailer is different.) In my case, the resulting cabinet front ended up 14" tall.

7. Cut a piece of 14" scrap and use it to measure down from the top of the trailer and make a mark on one side. This should be where the top of your metal should be. Extend the mark to the front of the trailer measuring up from the line you made previously. Repeat on both sides.

8. Cut the side metal down to 15". Attach it with glue and screws to the sides. Attach the wood filler and front metal using glue and screws. (You may have to nail the wood in place first, then screw the metal to it.)

9. Lay the shelf down on the rails, trim side out and screw it in place from beneath.

10. Set the cabinet front on top of the shelf and screw it in place with some long screws from beneath. Re-attach the latches to hold the top.

11.. Mount the cabinet doors. Smile you are done.

12. I purchased and used all new screws because the original screws are cheap and poorly shaped and difficult to re-apply. Make sure your screws are long enough to do the job but no long enough to pass completely through the walls.

In the pictures you can see a line where the old front rail was located. I will need to put a piece of trim over this joint but have not purchased it yet. The shelf used to cover this ugly joint.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5011.JPG   DSC_5012.JPG   DSC_5013.JPG   DSC_5014.JPG  
Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #30

Wow! That looks great! Good job, as usual. I know people have removed the bunk or made a shelf out of it but I like your resolve much better. You can still store things up there and not hit your head. I am really impressed. And your interior is different than ours but I like your cabinets. Not to dark or fake looking.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #31

Wow, you've got the same ideas I had I removed the old shower stall and put a $20 sheet of vinyl from home depot that goes all the way to the ceiling - I see you've done the most important thing and gotten an oxygenics shower head - they are great!

An easy improvement on that shower is to take the shower curtain rail off the ceiling and get rid of that 90' bend. Just make an additional bend on each side and screw it back up and you'll have a LOT more room. You can see what I did here: Wacky Pup Shower Mod

I've done tons of mods, from taking out the dinette and making a couch with wooden storage bins under it, about 50 more mods.

I'm in the process of making a laundry room for my new washer haha, making a new easy-store table for the couch and hanging a tv at the foot of the bed.

Check out my blog and see what you think - the majority of the mods are listed on this page: Wacky Pup Mods

Can't wait to see what you do with yours!! Great start!!

Liz
Old 09-30-2016, 11:43 PM   #32

It is really amazing how much difference it makes. You don't get that closed in feeling that comes from having the edge of the cabinet right over your head.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #33

Great job!! Question, is there still enough room for a mattress and a body? Can someone still sleep up there? If not, I would replace that front panel with a new face frame with more access doors.

Looks great and solves the coffin feeling. We actually made ours worse, lol, we put in a thicker mattress, even tried an extra topper for awhile, (we had it laying around so might as well use it.).. then t hardly fit under there, ha!

Great idea!

Liz

Old 10-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #34

Quote:
I'm scrounging for storage space so I knocked out the small panel that is under the refridgerator to the left of the power panel. In addition to giving you access to the back of the power panel it also opens up a pretty large storage area. You can take a peek at the inside of the wheel well to look for water leaks and you can store quite a bit of stuff in there if you are careful. ....

I ehave not found a good door for this space yet so I took a piece of scrap panelling that I had laying around, cut it to size and held it on with some window screen retainers.
I built in an area for our two dogs' food and water. It was the perfect use. The interior box is held in by easily accessible screws so I can remove it for access if I need to. Lined with contact paper for easy cleanup.

Liz

WackyPup
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #35

Thanks for the info on the lights! I have been looking into doing the same thing. Right now we just use small battery powered lights and grab, but I sure would like to improve this! Thanks for the source.

Liz
2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 Now Full-Time
Tons of Inexpensive Camper Mods WackyPup.com
Old 10-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
Great job!! Question, is there still enough room for a mattress and a body? Can someone still sleep up there? If not, I would replace that front panel with a new face frame with more access doors.
No. I installed it so that it will no longer pull down, it is now a fixed cabinet. We never use the bunk. I removed the mattress 1st thing and stored in the house attic where it serves as extra insulation.

I suppose you could use the hinges and leave the side rails long and still have a bed but it would be a smaller bed and then you would not have much space above the mattress to store stuff. Not having an extra bed ends the problem of having the grandkids beg to sleep in the trailer. Sleeping on the floor has not appeal and I have never mentioned the table.

Extra access doors would be nice but I wanted to use existing material and not get into cabinet building. So I just cut and trimmed and re-applied.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #37

Quote:
I built in an area for our two dogs' food and water. It was the perfect use. The interior box is held in by easily accessible screws so I can remove it for access if I need to. Lined with contact paper for easy cleanup.
What a great idea for the dogs! I guess you don't have a "Black Lab."
Old 10-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #38

Yes actually one of my dogs is big, half big black lab and still manages to get water all over, but at least I don't step in the water and food pans any more. Thank heaven the other one is small.

Liz

2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150
Tons of Free or Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com
Old 10-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #39

Quote:
. Well we kept the fan when we upgraded to the FF but I discovered that we have no 12 volt outlet. .
Not sure exactly which model you have, I have a 2008 189 FBR also. My TV is AC /dc and there is a DC Outlet behind it. The shelf above the wardrobe is where I'm talking about. So maybe you do, but maybe I have a different model.

Liz

Old 10-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Not sure exactly which model you have, I have a 2008 189 FBR also. My TV is AC /dc and there is a DC Outlet behind it. The shelf above the wardrobe is where I'm talking about. So maybe you do, but maybe I have a different model.

Liz

Hmmm..... I do have a 2008 189 FBR... I have not really looked behind the TV for a 12v outlet... but, even if there is one there, it is in a lousy location for my purposes.

thanks for the tip... I will take a look. Interesting. Is it a round hole like a cigarette lighter?