Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #1

Default My Generator

We wanted a generator when staying in places without an electrical hook up, like rest areas. Wanted something inexpensive, somewhat quiet and be able to handle the AC unit. I did not want to carry gasoline or spend a lot of money. All of my wants were meet at HD. The generator is propane powered, 4000 watts peak, 3250 rated watts at 29 amps and weights about 100lbs. I connected the generator to the trailer lp gas system. HD has the quick connect fitting and a 10 foot gas hose in the outdoor grill section. The quick connect fitting was installed in the lp gas line behind the right rear wheel. The pipe fittings and gas ball cutoff valve are in the pipe section of HD. The generator handles the AC and microwave but not at the same time. The final cost was under 475 bucks and it works great for us. See photos at the link below. The new connection is on the left in the pictures.

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n508/next2dixie/

next2dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #2

Sounds like a good plan. Do you have any info on the generator as in where to buy one. Sounds like just what we are looking for. You called it an HP. Is that the brand name.
Thanks

rosner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

X2 on the generator what kind where to get it.
Are you taping into the factory gas line for the grill.
on my 189fbs that line goes through the campers regulator.

Wouldn't you need a direct line to the tank.
Im asking because when hooking up a non factory grill with its own regulator It only works at low temp because its designed to be used without a regulator .
I would think a generator would be the same and wouldnt get enough flow to run properly under full load ?
2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

I purchased the generator at home depot, model GEN4000LP list 399.00. I connected to the low pressure side of the trailers installed black iron propane line by putting a tee between the tee for the quick connect for the grill and the existing tee. I added a lp gas shut off valve, then the char-broil 3/8"npt quick connect coupler. The connection to the generator is a char-broil 10 foot hose. The hose and coupler come together from home depot model 6825621. I did not connect to the existing rv grill coupling for 2 reasons, I may want to use the grill while on generator power, 2 I was worried the rv coupler may restrict the flow of propane to the generator. The generator uses low pressure propane that is down stream of the trailers installed regulator. The generator comes with a 5 foot hose assembly that can be connected to a free standing propane tank. I didn't want to carry a tank just like I didn't want to carry a can of gasoline. This system is inexpensive compared to the big name generators, to me it's quiet, and it's safe when stored in the enclosed bed of my truck...nothing to go BOOM... My cost was lower because home depot gives a 10% discount to retired military.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

Default Generator Setup Question

I purchased a 4k peak watt generator from HD. I looked at the hose they had in the grill section and thought it was a quick connect. Did you have a plumber splice in the t connetor for you? and what type did you use? I would like to have the grill outlet accessible as you did. Please advise.

Thanks!
gclanzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #6

Default Re: Generator Setup Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclanzy
I purchased a 4k peak watt generator from HD. I looked at the hose they had in the grill section and thought it was a quick connect. Did you have a plumber splice in the t connetor for you? and what type did you use? I would like to have the grill outlet accessible as you did. Please advise.

Thanks!
My trailers installed black iron propane line runs along the right side of the trailer past the wheels. Just past the rear wheel is a "tee" fitting for the quick connect for the grill. After closing the propane tank valves removed the quick connect fittings from the factory "tee". Connect a second "tee" with a close nipple to the original "tee. Then connected the original grill plumbing and the new gas shut off valve and female quick connect to the new "tee". The connection to the generator is a char-broil 10 foot hose. The hose assembly has a male quick connect fitting on one end and a female fitting on the other end that threads on to the generator. ( I disconnect both ends when not in use) Use thread compound on all the permanent fittings. Check all the connections for any gas leaks. Use a product such as Snoop to look for leaks. With the gas on soak all the connections and look for bubbles. No open flame while checking for leaks. All pipe fittings need to be black iron, the new valve a brass lp gas ball valve. Pipe dope needs to be rated for lp gas. If uncomfortable doing this consider a plumber.
2006 F150 4.6 Super Cab, Edge Power Chip. MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, K&N Cold Air Intake, Prodigy P2, 2000 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #7

Default Generator

What is the noise level on a gas generator ??
Is it not possible to just hookup to grill outlet ??
thank you, Phil
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #8

Default Re: Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
What is the noise level on a gas generator ??
Is it not possible to just hookup to grill outlet ??
thank you, Phil
The gen is rated at less than 69db. Again its a $399 unit and no match for the ones that cost 3 to 4 K. I can't justifie spending that much. Yes it can be connected to the existing quick connect for the grill. You would need to find a male connector that matches. I didn't look for one. Your TT dealer may be able to supply one, but you'll still need the lp hose and fitting for the generator end.
I've not used this on the road, but connected to the TT and operated here at the house for +- 3 hours. I'm very pleased with the results.The Home Depot web site has reviews for this generator.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #9

Default Question about the tee you used

What sized tee did you use to connect to the trailer? I have purchased the generator and the 10 foot hose....just need to get the tee to make the final connections. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #10

All the black iron pipe is 1/2 inch npt. I've added more photes ( see photobucket link above) that may be of help. Photo 1 showes the connection to the trailer lp gas piping, the rusty "T" is where the grill quick connect fitting was. Connected to that is a close nipple,the new "T", the original gas cut off valve and grill quick connect fitting. The fittings go up in the photo ( actualy parallel to the trailer frame) in photo 1 are for the generator. Again, a close nipple, gas cut off valve,reducer bushing, close nipple and then the quick connect for the generator. Photo 2 just another angle, the valve with the large yellow knob is for the generator. Photo3, close up of the new "T". Photo 4, looking from ground level at the connections, the one to the left foe the generator, the other..grill. Sorry it for the delay posting...just saw your ? tonight.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #11

Tanks for the info!