Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Default Mystery Switch

On our 2006 X-160 there is an on/off switch just inside the door next to the tank level panel. It does not appear to control anything. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Henry

hanknum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #2

It's for the water pump; you turn that on and off when you need water. You won't hear anything happen until you turn on the faucet for example.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX160_CT
It's for the water pump; you turn that on and off when you need water. You won't hear anything happen until you turn on the faucet for example.
Thanks, but that's not the switch I'm talking about. It is a completely different switch that is separate (but next to) from the pump/tank level panel. I've also seen this switch located up above behind the sink. The previous owners never knew what it goes to nor did Cruiser RV.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #4

Can you tell if it was "factory" installed or "user" installed? Usually, if you look closely at the cutout and/or the spacing (is it centered with the other switches, is it closer to an edge than the switch on the other end, ect.) you can tell. If it is factory installed, then you most likely can find a corresponding fuse in the fuse panel to whatever the switch controls by process of elimination. Most always, factory installed controller switches will have a fuse (12v) in the fuse box that mates with whatever line or device that switch controls. Try pairing the the labeled fuses with the switches that are known and whatever is left may be controlled by that "mystery" switch.

If the switch was installed by a previous owner, it could be almost anything, but, if I were to give a WAG on the probable function, it would be that it controls either add-on lighting (maybe a step light behind the stairs?) or possibly add-on tank or water line heaters... but, in reality, it could be almost anything, and if added by a previous owner, wouldn't necessarily be routed through the fuse panel. Most likely 12v though, if it looks like your other 12v switches...there are switches that resemble the panel switches used for 12v that will handle 120v, but, to my knowledge, none of the trailer makers use them for durability and safety reasons; a 12v looks like a 12v switch and a 120v switch looks like a 120v switch.

To be honest, I've never even been inside a 160, so I can't even give a real good guess and being an '06, no telling what "options" CruiserRV was installing at that time as they were still a relatively "young" company and there was probably a fair amount of ad-libbing going on with the assembly process. It is entirely possible that they were, at that time, using a panel that went to another trailer model, say a 210, and on the 210 it is functional (outdoor light) that doesn't even exist on the 160, so it doesn't go to anything. You could even pull the panel and see if it a) has wires attached and b) are the wires "hot"...that would at least tell you if it is supposed to control something or it is a "dummy" switch and doesn't do anything at all...

Sorry, great lot of help am I !!!

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #5

As always...thanks for the reply Don. I guess I'll just have to trace the wires. If unused, I'll probably hook it up to some LED outdoor lights that I have.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #6

Default Maybe it is for the nonexistent slide?

We have a nonfunctional switch on our panel on our 2012 X139. The dealer told us it was for the slide, which of course we do not have on such a small trailer. But the switch was built in to the panel, so there it sits.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #7

I figured it'd probably be for an option that was not installed because it does look like a factory switch. Thanks