Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Need fold down cabinet bed over master bed in 189FBS

My 2008 Fun Finder X 189FBS has a regular cabinet over the master bed, but it was an option to have the cabinet that folds down to be a bed. Can I buy one of these and retrofit it or it is better just to build one DIY?

Anyone have a guide?

wolfgheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #2

I think that the answer to your question depends on a few factors. Have you contacted your dealer? What will it cost to buy this from Cruiser? Can you install it yourself if they supply the parts?

On the DIY side, are you a skilled handyman (or handyperson, as we now say)?

Having taken out our fold-down bunk, I can tell you that the job is not too tricky -- the forward edge of the bunk is fastened to the front wall with a piano hinge, and the bunk rests on an angle bracket when it is in the "down" position.

The biggest trick will be mounting the hardware to the walls. Is your unit's walls filled with styrofoam? If so, you can use spiral wall anchors for the screws -- just make sure that the anchors are not wider than the thickness of the foam -- please do not ask how I learned this lesson.

If your walls are filled with pink fiberglass (as was true on the older Fun Finders), you can use toggle anchors, instead of the spiral ones -- the toggle fits through the lauan paneling and then deploys behind the panel.

Use as many short screws as you can, in order to distribute the weight as widely as possible.

If you are lucky, you can find studs in the walls. If the studs are wooden, they are very thin -- 1x2 firring strips. If the studs are aluminum, be sure not to drill your pilot holes too wide -- otherwise the screw will not bite. I used self-tapping sheet metal screws for that.

Good luck, and let us know how it is going!!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

Have not contacted a dealer because in my experience all dealers charge
More than you can get it anywhere else.

I am pretty handy, mostly just want to see if anyone has one that they took out for sale or if anyone has already done this DIY and has pics.
wolfgheist is offline   Reply With Quote