Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

Default Need Help!

We are the newbies with the 2013 Fun Finder. We took our first trip and we had a little bit of trouble. First, in Ohio, the weather is very crazy. It is almost July and the temp got down to about 60 degrees. Of course, in the middle of the night we were cold and the one instruction book I have not read yet was how to use the furnace. I never thought we would need that. Any way, we did manage to get the furnace running and it heated up quickly.

The problem that we ran across was that we ran out of water. I don't think our gauge or light panel thingy works correctly. I don't have a manual for that and I have no idea what it is even called. How do you fill up the fresh water tank and know when to quit? My husband was going to just fill it until it started to squirt out, but that kind of scared me. Also when we empty our black water, it still shows that we have 1/3 filled, but the water runs clear.

One more question. When we ran out of water, I started to use the hot water faucett which I assume comes from the hot water tank and ran that dry also. Will that hurt it to do that?

Cynsew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #2

It would be helpful when asking questions to include the year AND MODEL of your Fun Finder.

I fill my fresh water tank until it squirts out the little air bleed hole just above where the water hose hooks in. The spec sheet for your model unit will state the capacity of your fresh water tank.

Does your unit have a black water flush? Some do & some don't. You should not drain your black water tank until nearly full so all the solids and toilet paper flush out. Also, be sure you use the toilet tissue made special for camper .... NOT the same as you use at home.

When draining your black water, let it run until no more comes out ... then drain your grey water tank until no more comes out. The grey water will help flush the black effluent from your drain hose so it's 'cleaner.' Once emptied, if the black water tank shows 1/3 full yet, could be something is stuck to the sensor in the tank ...... or you need to wait a little longer then check again. The black water flush is handy to help clean the inside of the tank/sensors.

The indicator light panel for the fresh water, grey water, black water tanks are an approximation only .... not an exact amount indicator. Hint: After I got my camper, I went underneath it and made sure the screws that secured the wires to the tanks were tight to make a good connection ~ several were not all that tight.

The water pump only pumps water as long as it's available in the fresh water tank and it will not pump your hot water tank dry..... however I would turn off the water heater heating once the faucet fails to pump hot water.

HOpe this helps.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:07 AM   #3

Thank you, that was very informative and helped so much! We have 2013 Cruiser Fun Finder. I do have another question if you could possibly answer this. How long does a full LP tank usually last. I realize it depends on usage, but we will just be weekend campers and was wondering if this will last us all summer. ( say 3 months?) How often do campers fill their LP gas?
Cynsew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #4

Additional note: IF your unit has a black water flush BE SURE you have the black water drain OPEN when using the black water flush ! You don't want water squirting out your stool inside the camper.

My Fun Finder XT-276 has two 30 gallon propane bottles. I have never run both bottles dry in one season of camping....inclusive of running the frig on propane when traveling, using the furnace a few nights, the water heater on propane only, cooking, etc. on multiple weekend excursions plus a full two week outing.

In my estimation, propane consumption is very economical. My last outing of the season was at a campground that did have propane service had I ran out ~ but that didn't happen.

I refill my propane tank(s) in the spring. Someday soon, I hope to travel enough to have to fill them more than just in the spring.