Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to alice0110
Default Need hitch for bike rack

I have a 2007 / 18' / X189FBR. I want to use my bike rack that slides in a receiver, but my trailer has no rear bumper/hitch. Had a welder take a look but he is not sure about how to do it, concerned about how to support it underneath (grey/black tanks, etc). Of course there is the spare on the back, so it would need to clear that. Seems it would stick out a lot. Anyone out there ever have someone add this on to their trailer? Would love to know how it was done, and if you have pictures that would be very helpful. Just trying to help my welder know how to do this....correctly.

alice0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #2

Default I wish

I have been wishing for the same thing -- but there is no place to weld the hitch onto. No bumper, and the black tank crowds the structural members. The spare tire could be moved, I am sure. I am told by other folks who have added bumper mounted bike racks that there is a danger of metal fatigue due to wiggling -- the bikes act as weights on the lever arm of the rack, and all of the stress is transmitted to the fulcrum on the bumper. Unless the bumper is really stout, it will break. So maybe we are not missing much, anyway.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

My 06 189FD (purchased 2nd hand) came with a 1 1/4" hitch at the back.... I never looked at it too closely though, or used it.
Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
M&M

Default Bike rack

Hi,

Our 210WBS was purchased used. It came with a 1 1/4 receiver hitch that I think was supplied by Funfinder. It is a stand alone unit that is not attached to the bumper. Please note this hitch is not all that solid as it allows the bike rack to swing fore and aft somewhat when carrying 2 bikes. However if you are still interested in a rear mount bike rack, you could check with the Funfinder parts department to see if they have something similar for your camper, or perhaps have made it sturdier.

The spare tire really doesn't cause the bike rack to stick out any more than if there were no spare tire. The bike frames are held close to the spare tire, and the handle bars just about touch the back of the camper.

M&M
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #5

Hello,
I welded my own bumper/hitch and bolted it to the frame under the trailer. The metal that runs the width of the trailer at the back is too thin to take the bending loads. I welded my hitch so the mounts are at the same location as the longitudinal members of the trailer frame (the I beams that run the length of the trailer on each side). I then used thick steel L brackets that bolt directly into the I beams on back side. I then bolted the bumper through the thinner rear frame directly into the L brackets. I have a rear camera and can watch my bikes while towing. The loads are high back there so you will need to be careful with anything back there. Absolutely do not mount any bikes to the rear spare tire mount, it will rip right out.
A different option that I have seen is to mount the bike rack to the front of the trailer over the propane tank. I found a web site that shows how this is done. http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/26/rv-bike-rack-mount

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
TCP

Default curt rv hitch

I installed a curt rv hitch on the back of our 2010 189FDS. I cut the side plates that came with the hitch to slide through slots I cut in the back plate and bolt onto the I beams. Hitch:

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703

Some pictures(not great):

https://picasaweb.google.com/tompreusser/NewTrailer#

TCP is offline   Reply With Quote