Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #1

Default New Access To Under-Bed Storage

We have added additional access to the under-bed storage area in our 2018 Fun Finder 26RB. That area was boxed in and only accessible by lifting the bottom of the bed up. By removing the side panels from that storage area you can place shoes, slippers, etc. under bed without lifting it up. Now we can easily get to our slippers and shoes with out stepping over them to get in and out of bed. Bigger items still need to go in through the top though.
The Mod: I removed the side panels without damage by lightly tapping on them with my hand and a mallet. This exposed the wood bed frame which I choose to cover in carpet. I wrapped both sides of the wood frame in carpet and attached it using staples. I also cut a piece of carpet to fit the floor under the bed to prevent things from sliding around during towing. A 12' x 2’ carpet remnant cost me $10 and left plenty of extra.
Note: I have an air compressor and power stapler, and I used 3/4" staples. Lacking that equipment, I may have tried double-stick tape and tacks to secure the carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #2

Great job!

My only concern is that by removing the panel, is it possible that the remaining frame might "torque" sideways into a rhomboid shape? In other words, the panel may have reinforced the frame, much as shear walls help the studs in a house to stay square in case of an earthquake.

I would bet, though, that there are no significant sideways stresses on that frame, so my concerns are probably not valid.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

Rhomboid? Is that anything like a Rumba?

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. There are so many little places that they just box over. I have opened up most of them in our TT saving this one for last.

In our case, we don't gain much since the hot water heater, pipes, and the freshwater tank are all under there..... but it would help a little for sure.

I did find a nice, rather large area to the right of the water tank and opened that up from the outside storage area.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

The dreaded rhomboid looks like the left image in this drawing:

Click For Full-Size Image.

It's what happens when I design a square cabinet frame and then it distorts under side pressure. Don't ask how I learned this nasty word.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

The panelling is very thin, I don't see much structural support being provided by those. But should it become a factor I would add some L-brackets.
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
under-bed storage