Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Default New Bed Platform For Dinette

Even though we put the trailer up for sale, There is one project that I wanted to get done. I promised my wife I would modify the dinette area so that she could use it as a couch/bed. She sleeps in a recliner and by making it more couch than dinette, it will be easier on her. I kept all the original hardware for the drop down dinette table, but for now (or until it sells) it will be the way she wants it. I made a platform that fits where the table would go. The platform is hinged 4 1/2" off the wall to allow it to be raised with cushions on it. Raising it makes accessing the cabinet over the dinette much easier, way easier than crawling on the dinette set to get to the TV antenna crank handle. I'm going to have 3 new cushions made and covered along with 1/4" panels covered in the same material to cover the wall where the table mounts are and the backs of the dinette benches where the small cushions go. of course, we'll keep the dinette cushions for the future owner. I'm taking the trailer out next week, so I'll get a chance to try out the new lay out. I also cut down the bottom of the overhead bunk and made it a little narrower. Let's be honest, that is a small child's sleeping place at best, so cutting 5" off isn't going to affect a kid sleeping there, but it makes a big difference as far feeling less crowded in the front. BTW - I just noticed the left door is not hanging level. I took the cabinet out right when I bought the trailer, so this is the first time I noticed it. Gotta go straighten it out!

Jwh92020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

Old 10-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #3

Great project! Do you have a photo of how you set it up as a recliner? Thanks!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

P139 - No pics yet. Having 3 new cushions made along with her "custom recliner". I'll post them as soon as they're in.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:34 PM   #5

That will be nice. We have friends who leave their dinette down with the cushions on it so they can lounge and watch tv. I've thought of doing that with ours but we do like eating at the table after so long without a table.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:55 PM   #6

We have found a way to use our dinette as a semi-recliner -- we have these long thin "body pillows" that we use when we are sleeping. When the dinette is set up as a table, rather than a bed, we fold the big pillows in half, place them against the upright end of the bench, and stretch out sideways on the bench seat. It's actually very comfortable!

But a real recliner would be a lot better, especially if you plan to sleep in that position all night long.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth, here is an "action shot" in which we are actually using those pillows to recline, just after dinner. If it looks like we are dressed up like Siberian peasants, that's because this was taken while we were snow camping in Sequoia National Park:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #7

Marti - We'll use TV trays. I even have an idea for a way to hang them in the trailer while traveling. That will have to wait until this "get it done B4 the holidays" rush is over.

P139 - Our dinette is 32" wide, not really reclinable. After we get the new cushions, I'll decide if I want to cut the edge of the bench flat (the part with the metal trim in the pics I posted). I'm sitting on the original cushions and I can fell the edge in the back of my legs. Don't much care for it.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #8

Dan, you two look like it must be cold outside.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #9

Marti, not that cold. Maybe 20 degrees outside, 40 inside. That old 2003 trailer was not well insulated. Our newer one (2012) is much warmer.