Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #21

Interesting question about replacing the valve -- I never thought about doing that, but someday maybe. I found this web page on the subject -- hope it is helpful:

Replace a RV hotwater heater pressure valve

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #22

Now that it is crazy cold. I have a question about the heater. I have it set as low as possible and it cycles around 41-44 f.

What happens when the propane tank runs out of propane? Does the heater try to keep running? Is it a bad thing to run out of propane like that? (Aside from being cold).

I'm a bit concerned about the piping freezing. It's going to be 24f tonight.

Edward55105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward55105 View Post
Now that it is crazy cold. I have a question about the heater. I have it set as low as possible and it cycles around 41-44 f.

What happens when the propane tank runs out of propane? Does the heater try to keep running? Is it a bad thing to run out of propane like that? (Aside from being cold).

What is "crazy cold" in South Carolina?

New Years eve here, the temperature was 32 below zero and the wind chill was 49 below zero....and nothing unusual at all for this time of year, here.

That said, glad I don't live in NORTH Dakota!

Oh, once you run out of propane, the furnace just shuts down as it senses there is no propane...similar to when your vehicle runs out of gasoline.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #24

That's good to know -- that the heater will just shut off. I haven't added any anti-freeze to any of the tanks or water lines. I'm hoping I don't have to.

I am keeping the heater on for now. It seems to run for 5 minutes and then stay off for 18 minutes. I hope I don't wake up and find it all frozen up in here. All the tanks are empty and I've disconnected the city water hose.

Crazy is 5 inches of snow!!! And 24 f.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #25

Quote:
That's good to know -- that the heater will just shut off. I haven't added any anti-freeze to any of the tanks or water lines. I'm hoping I don't have to.

I am keeping the heater on for now. It seems to run for 5 minutes and then stay off for 18 minutes. I hope I don't wake up and find it all frozen up in here. All the tanks are empty and I've disconnected the city water hose.

Crazy is 5 inches of snow!!! And 24 f.
There's all sorts of water still in your system that can freeze, especially if you don't drain you lines at their "low point". These are usually two lines that drop down underneath your trailer somewhere with screw off caps, often red & blue that MUST be opened to drain out most of the water from the lines inside and out on your trailer. (open all the taps when you do this to allow drainage. Also push in the pin at the city water connection to allow the water that will be sitting in that line to drain down and out too. Plus there's likely water still in some lines if you have an outside shower.

PS. My dometic heater will continue to cycle on even without propane and blow cold air.....
Old 01-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #26

If it only gets down to 24 for a while, you should be fine. We camp in 20 degree weather often -- no problem.

If the daytime temps stay below freezing, that is a problem -- the whole system will cool down and eventually freeze.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 AM   #27

Depending on what brand/year furnace you have:

"Ignition Control Circuit Board – A printed circuit board that initiates gas valve opening and triggers the Igniter. In some furnaces the Igniter sequence may last several seconds and make multiple attempts to light the flame. You may hear a tick-tick-tick sound as the Igniter is cycled repeatedly. Other boards will make three attempts at approximately 60 second intervals. In older models there is only one attempt to light and the thermostat must be cycled off for several seconds and back on again to initiate another ignition cycle. In newer furnaces there is a feedback signal from the igniter to confirm that ignition was successful and a flame is present. If there is no positive ignition feedback within 6-10 seconds, the gas supply will be shut off and the furnace is
“locked out”. In some furnaces there are two circuit boards – one for ignition and one for speed control of the blower motor"
Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #28
Site Team

Can you plug the trailer into shore power? If so, I'd suggest getting one of those small portable ceramic heaters and use that instead of burning propane. You could set the temp quite a bit higher than 40 as well.
They can usually be had for 20 bucks or so. Something like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Comfort-Z...442WM/21899614
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #29

Quote:

Ed

RV antifreeze is a whole lot cheaper than blowing through a $20 tank of propane every week or two. Also, as stated above, there are water lines below the deck that will freeze no matter how warm the trailer is. Anyway it's early January and there is still a lot of winter ahead so you may just want to drain all the water and winterize, then forget about it till April.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #30

I do need to get anti-freeze, that's true and perhaps a small electric heater from Walmart.

thanks ya'll.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #31

Quote:
I do need to get anti-freeze, that's true and perhaps a small electric heater from Walmart.

thanks ya'll.
When ever I go camping in the spring and fall, I only use a 110 volt 1500 watt ceramic heater. I save the propane for cooking, to run the frig when traveling and emergency heat when 110 is not available. Also, not sure if your rig has it, but you may have an electric 110 volt water heater add on. If you have it, there is a switch outside on the lower left of the water heater below the thermostats. It's pretty well hidden, but mine has it and it's great when I'm camping where shore power is available.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #32

Thanks Twinster2..... That's one thing I did right after I bought the camper. The water heater is propane only..... (sigh)

I ran through everything, to learn how things work, and to see if they worked properly. So far everything works, I'm just a bit worried about this freezing weather were having for a few more days.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #33

I have a 2009 189BR Fun Finder X and we love it. We are always getting compliments on it no matter where we camp. If I can be of help to you do not hesitate to ask. We live in Winston-Salem.
Dennis
df1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #34

Its good to know that other people like their 189 too... We have gotten used to 'taking turns' using the aisle to do things.. SMILES....

I have a question: We are not on city water for a while. I noticed that the water pump seems to cycle a lot more than it used to. When the water is on it cycles about 2 times a second, and that's with the water only on a super slow flow.. Also, when the pump switch is on, but no water is flowing, the pump comes on for just a second every 10-15 second intervals... There is no water leak, and the onboard freshwater tank is full.

Is this normal or does it mean something?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #35

When I'm hooked to a pressurized city water supply at a campground or home, there is no need to run the on-board pump.
The natural pressure in the water supply provides all the pressure needed ... just like city water pressure supplies your stick built home with water under pressure.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #36
Site Team

As Eagle said, no need to use the pump when hooked up to city water.

And if not on city water we only turn the pump on when we need water.

If the pump is cycling then you are losing pressure somewhere. Maybe slow drip at a faucet or toilet or seals on the pump possibly.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #37

We were on city water but we don't have it now. Not since this weekend. When we first got the camper I tested out all the systems. I don't remember the onboard water pump operating so frequently. There are no leaks or slow drips.

Right now it is cycling on once every second with water running, and once every 10 seconds (for just a moment) with water secured. There is no leak and the faucets are not dripping. I guess I thought that there was some kind of accumulator in the system. It just seems like it it running too much and that it is running more than when we first tested it. I guess it's fine, it just seemed like something changed.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #38
APD

The pump shouldn't run that often without any water use.
The pump has a built-in check valve. If your system is actually tight and leak free that check valve may be allowing water to return (very slightly) into the tank. If you truly have no leaks or drips then this would be your only location to lose pressure undetected.

My two cents....

Alan

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote