Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
roy

Default New tires

XT276 with 205/75/15 C rated ST tires on it. Original tires. Looking to add same size but D rated and Telstar is the brand. Question is how do I know if my alloy wheels will work with the D rated tires. Increase in air pressure is my concern. Can't find this info anywhere on the aluminum wheels. Sent Cruiser a email no reply. I even gave them my VIN so they'd know what my trailer came with.

The D rated tire is an 8 ply I believe and it has 6 ply now and I'm sure they are the cheapest brand on the market can't even match them to anything I google. They have been good though, close to 15k on them in 2.5 years. Got one looking a little strange in the middle rib so I want to just replace them all. A blowout will surely destroy this flimsy built thing.

Any suggestions on the D rated tire working on the stock alloy wheels.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

I just purchased 5 brand new Maxis 225/75/15 E rated tires before I traded Work and Play 18EC for my XT276. I mean I had 300 miles on the new tires and the new one came with 205/75/15 C rated Chinese time bombs (I forget the brand). There was no way I was trading my brand new Maxis tires!

I had many sleepless nights because I went from 205 to 225. The label on the camper says inflate to 50 psi. The Maxis tires have a max psi of 80. I found it difficult to gather reliable information too.

If you look at the back side of the rim, it will be stamped with the maximum load but it says nothing about a maximum psi.

I finally found a tire guy who knew his business and who turned out to be the guy who does all of my camper dealer's tire work. He told me to make sure I get the high pressure valve stems and to relax. I now run my tires at about 73 psi. Not sure how I came up with that number, it just seems like a good compromise for my tires.

I have only 750 miles of 62mph on the tires but it felt good. No issues. I am about to put 8,000 miles on them starting next week. I would not hesitate to upgrade my tires, especially to D rated.

Just my opinion but as I said I had the sleepless nights over these tires and it worked out fine.

2011Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
roy

I think I will be ok with D rated tires on the stock wheels. Going up to D rating isn't that big a step. I don't know the pressures yet but if I had to guess its 65 psi cold. My 14 Tundra has big 20" stock aluminum wheels with big D rated BF Goodrich ATs and they are rated max cold pressure of cold 65 psi, 49 psi everyday pressure. If these tires don't look the business I won't buy I will just haul it back home. The lady who I talked with there has a big toy hauler with triple axles and she was having blow problems until she put these Telstar D rated tires on and no more blowouts. Said they had sold quite a few sets and no one has complained of blowouts or other issues.

WERA Expert #826
Old 07-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

I went from C to E with no problems, so going from C to D is fine. D rated ST tires are 65 psi. You want to go with the rated pressures or they will heat up and that is what causes trailer tire problems.
2011Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
roy

I got the D rated Telstar tires installed Saturday. Install went well, balanced the tires also. I hand torqued the lug nuts didn't trust their impact on my aluminum wheels. Rechecked after the drive home. I also greased the bearings with my grease gun while he had each wheel off. Easier to do with unit jacked up and I could spin the hub as I pumped grease in. Ran the max cold pressure (65 psi) on the 25 mile trip home in hot weather at 70 mph. Tires were not even warm when I got home. I could feel a little more roughness with higher air pressure but nothing I can't live with. Hauler was empty for the most part no motorcycles in the back room so add another 1000 lbs once that's done.

Will be pulling it to Talladega GP racetrack in two weeks. 600 mile round trip. From just the looks of the tires I like them. They appear well made. Time of course will tell the whole story. Estimated I had around 15-18k on the original unknown brand tires that came on the hauler. Couldn't complain to much about them as I never had a problem with them. One was about to seperate I feel with the rib looking strange on one side.

WERA Expert #826