Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #1

Default New XT245: What accessories do I need? Elec cords/adaptors

Hi, first post here. We have an XT245 on order that will arrive in about 2 weeks, and I'm trying to do as much shopping as possible before it arrives so that we can get out some this summer. I already ordered a Yamaha 3000iSEB because we will be doing a lot of our camping away from campsites.

Can I expect the TT to come with a shore line (power cord)?
What type of connector will it be?
Will I need a 50a to 30a adapter to attach it to the generator?

Any other wisdom that you can offer for new RV'ers is welcome, and I hope I can offer suggestions as I learn also.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Team

It should come with all of the basics you need for a hookup. The shore power cord (probably a 50A), sewer hose and a water hose at least. It's worth having a couple of adapters because you never know when you might need one. You will need an adapter for your generator.

I have found this site pretty useful, there's a lot of explanations on how things work, how to's, checklists and links to more info.

http://rvbasics.com/

Other than that, take your trailer out and use it. That's to best way to figure what best meets your needs. Congrats on the new trailer!

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

I would recommend buying a better quality sewer hose than the one that is provided by Cruiser. Very first time I used the Cruiser hose it was spraying like a lawn sprinkler; not exactly what you want with sewer! Spend a few bucks and you will be much happier (fortunately, we had a quality one with us and literally threw out the one from the manufacturer on the first trip!
Mini Schnauzer Bogey
kayaks, mountain bikes, golf clubs, wine fridge
LIFE IS GOOD
gwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #4

Thanks to both. It's becoming clear that it's going to be a big shopping trip, and that many things need to be specific to the model of TT purchased.

There are very few RV dealers, and even less that have a real showroom of accessories. Might it be worth going to a camping world that is 1.5 hours away? Do they have most of these things in stock?

Thanks again,

Pete
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Site Team

+1 on the sewer hose. The one I got with my trailer was pretty flimsy, but it worked until I got a better one.

Camping World should have most of the stuff in stock. You can always check online and then call them with the part # before you make the drive to be sure. Camping World isn't the cheapest place so it's probably worth becoming a member if you're going to shop there much. That way you get the discount - usually 10%.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #6

Default Trailer accessories

I belong to Camping World and make some purchases there, but I've found that Wal Mart Superstores carry a lot of useful stuff. recently. I've been checking Amazon and have bought several items there. Both tend to be cheaper than Camping world.
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #7

x'2 on wally world, got my water hose and power adapter there, my 160 came with everything else, although i would like to get a better drain hose, but with the little amout of camoing we do currently it works good enough (always wear gloves and watch out)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #8

Things I've learned since delivery (for those who may search this in the future):

The XT did come with a 25' power cord that is like this, but longer:

http://images.campingworld.com/is/im...=0,-1&hei=1000
. On the side of the RV is a 30amp twist lock male connector. That is a recessed hole with 3 pins arranged in the shape of a circle, including 1 with a tab that bends in. On the outside of the plug is a male thread that you can thread a ring on that mostly seals it from the weather. But any 30 amp female twist lock connector will work whether it has the locking ring on the outside or not.

On the other end was a 30 amp male connector that is set up for a common campground outlet. Those 3 pins are not in a circle, but center pin at the top, then two flat blades at angles.

Most generators I've seen (including our yamaha) have 30 amp female twist lock receptacles, so the cord that came with the XT wouldn't work.

So I either needed a 30a flat blade to 30a twist lock adaptor, or a new cord that had twist locks at each end.

We are in RV no-man's land here, and I wanted to see the connector before I bought it. I found a West Marine boat store that had a 25' cord in stock with the 30a twist locks on each end, so I stopped by and got it. It was $70, compared to about $25 for an adaptor, I can use this as an extension with the stock power cord, and could go 50' at a campground.

These things are easy once you figure them out.

Now I just need a 30a to 15a adaptor so that I can plug this thing in at home.

Pete
Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #9

Default Power connections

You're on the right track. I've seen campgrounds where the power box is almost 50' away and directly behind my campsite. Same with the water faucet . I suppose the campground thinks we all plug into the rear of the trailer (some do) and carry 50' of power cord.

Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote