Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Newbie Advice

I am considering purchase of a used 13 ft. Funfinder:

http://www.kampercity.com/invdetail.jsp?pk=560136557

It has had a previous leak, which of course, they assure me is sealed now.

They use a process of filling the inside up with air? and checking the outside for bubbles when wet...."seal Tech."? Can anybody here enlighten me on this? Once an old leak is sealed, how long might I expect this to hold?

Any words of wisdom are most appreciated.

Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Elaine,

I really have no experience with leaks. (Heck, where I live I barely have experience with rain)

I did a quick google search and found this web site
http://www.rvleaks.com/index.htm
It sounds like they use the seal tech system to find the leaks so that they can be repaired. I guess how the repair is done is up to the individual dealer. Is the dealer offering a warranty? For how long? Maybe ask the dealer for a recommendation from another customer he's done this for. If he's willing to offer a warranty against future leaks for reasonable amount of time, you'll probably be OK. Good Luck!

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

Hi Elaine!

I bought my FF x-139 after it had sustained water damage. You can tell it when you touch the walls...the luan paneling should feel rigid when you slightly push on it...if it has been compromised by water it will give and feel spongy. Look in the corners for small traces of mildew, especially on the wallpaper borders to see if the paper is smeary. Look carefully around and in the celing light fixtures for sign of dried water drips...usually brownish.

If the roof has had water you will see small lumps...I haven't figured out what those lumps are...something from the de-laminating or the foam filler...not a problem if you seal it up, will just add some "texture" to your decor!!!

If it was caught early and didn't do extensive damage, you can get a bargain. But you need to get up on top and seal it immediately...don't assume someone else did it right. Also re-caulk down the exterior corner mmoldings...a litttle crack will let in water. And another good way to be sure is to take off the air-conditioner shroud and look around for damage...seal up the edges with Eternabond tape and it'll be good for years!

If you get there and the damage was extensive, bargain it down!

Oh and don't forget to come back and let us hear how i went!

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #4

Default Most helpful

Thanks for educating me!

LJAZ - NO warranty on used.

obxgal - very useful info. I did ask about the bumpy extra ceiling texture...got the"I'm not sure", "no big deal" poo-poo sales pitch?

So far they have come down $500 and offered to throw in another seal tech check with me present. I'm on my own on this one - my 2 boys (17 & 23) are against it based on the small size......as if they WANT to go on a road trip with mom? I'll be the one on the roof and/or regretting my decision.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #5

Default forgot to ask

Does any one know how much weight the small fold down bunk is made to tolerate?

If I stuff a 120 pounder up there............. ?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #6

Default Weight for Bunk

The sticker posted on our bunk stated it would hold 210 pounds. Seems like it's "pushing" it to me, but I've had two people of about 160 pounds each sleep on it with nor problems. Ours is a 2006 T-139. Hope this helps.

kegbender is offline   Reply With Quote