Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Default Newbie question

When you are hooked up to a separate water supply can you just not turn the water pump on or do you need to shut a valve off somewhere to keep water form going into the fresh water tank ?

dirtnbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #2

You should have a city water connection on the trailer. Once you hook up to that and a water source, the taps and everything will get their water from that and it completely bypasses the fresh water tank.

Kosoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #3

I'm glad to know that too. We have never used our city water hook ups, I know there is a pressure control valve, but i like the lower pressure of using the tank and pump. also, we are very seldom camped that close to a source of water.

we are planning a road trip this fall, and probably will stay at parks with water. it would be good to save the weight of hauling water across country!
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

I never haul water if I don't have to. I usually am at parks that have full hookup. I just turn the water on a bit before hooking up to gauge how strong it is.
A pressure regulator is only $7 Canadian and I also use a $5 "Y" adapter and I can limit the amount through that as well if I wanted to.
Plus, you can get more pressure from the city side than from the pump. Handy when showering or washing dishes.
The only thing I use the fresh water tank for is to run a mixture of bleach and water through the system to disinfect at the beginning of the season.
The other thing with hauling water, is that it sloshes around in the tank which can affect towing and sway, plus water is heavy (30 gal tank is about 250 Lbs). Also, the tank is usually at the back of the trailer, taking tongue weight off.
This is just my opinion anyways.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

good points, and we will be trying it next week when we go out and will be staying where there are hookups.

our tank is in the front of the camper, but we usually try not to travel with full tanks. usually plan to fill up somewhere close to the place we will camp.

I do carry along a Pur filtering pitcher for whatever water we end up using.
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

I use the water hookups for everything but drinking. For that we buy big jugs of water and some water bottles at Costco. I may eventually plum in a filtration system in the trailer if I can do it at a reasonable price.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

I always travel with at least 1/2 tank of water in the fresh water tank located forward of the axles. It helps balance the load with motorcycle(s) in the garage area. Also, it's nice if one uses the toilet 'enroute so have water to flush or wash your hands/face at a roadside stop for whatever reason.

The few times go to a campground w/o any hookups, carry a full tank of fresh water along from home, softened water is great for showers for as long as it will last.

When at a camp site, always hook to their water supply. Wife only drinks bottled water or from the RO system at home.. not city/campground/RV park water. We carry a big cooler with bottled water for drinking .. and a few sodas or power aid drinks.

To each their own choice.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #8

First trip out we hooked up the water to city and promptly filled the fresh tank and ran out the overflow. A bad check valve in the water pump. $59 at Amazon for a new pump and all is well again. You leave the pump off if hooked to city pressure. The pump was also fast cycling and never quit.

nevereveridle is offline   Reply With Quote