Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Newly purchased 06 189 - what maintenance should I be doing?

Hi All,

So I just got a 06 189 FD and being my first trailer, I'm not sure what I should be doing for maintenance on it? What should I be doing this season as I don't know what has been done in the past, and it will be put away for the winter in a few weeks. It was purchased at a repo auction, but I did have an inspection done before purchase and everything checked out other than needing a thorough cleaning. The meters are showing it's black tank is full, grey is 2/3 and fresh is 1/2.... And they've probably been that way for few months. Obviously I should dump the black and grey, can the fresh be dumped as well?

What else should I be doing?

Thanks!

Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on your new (to you) trailer!

Just off the top of my head I would:

Check the date code on the tires. If they're more than 5 years old it's probably time to replace.
Check the seals on the roof and around all of the windows and seams. Recaulk as needed.
Service the wheel bearings.
Check the refrigerator & water heater burners to make sure they're clean & insect free.
Check the anode in the water heater.
Go online and download as many of the manuals as you can for the fridge, heater, water heater, awning, etc. You should be able to find most of them and they will list the required maintenance. Plus they will have operating and troubleshooting instructions which will be very handy to have.

As for the tanks. Fresh water is the easy one there should be a simple stopcock type of drain on the bottom you can open and just drain it onto the ground. After that I would flush it really well and disinfect it. Who knows how long water has been in there and what's been growing in it.

The black & gray tanks will need to be cleaned also after you dump them. There will likely be 'crud' stucks to the sides that may give you a false level reading so you'll need to clean that as well. One trick is to dump a bunch of ice in and tow the trailer around so the ice scrubs the tank inside.

I'm sure there's things I haven't thought of so hopefully others will chime in.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote