Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Default No lights with battery

We have a FunfinderX 160WB, 2009. Camper has been stored. We discovered we have no lights with the battery connected. We had the battery tested even though it is a new battery. We tested the 30amp fuse on the positive cable-good. Battery cut off switch is pulled out. No apparent corrosion. Worked the last time we had it uncovered. Any help or suggestions appreciated. We do not know where to go from here. Thanks!

Mimitjc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #2

This is probably a silly question, but is the rocker switch on the control panel in the "on" position?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

Can you tell me where that is located? As far as we can remember, we don't recall turning one off the last time it was used but will check if you can guide us to it. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

The location of the control panel varies from one model year to the next. On our old 2003 T-139, it was on the side of the closet, near the door.

The panel should have a group of red plastic toggle switches that rock into the on and off positions.

I hope it is just this simple and not a bigger problem!!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #5

This is the Switch you are looking for. Like mentioned when pushed in it is in the off position and pulled out is on. It will be located in different locations depending on what model you have. Our 2015 210uds has it on the control panel just inside the door on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
attachment.jpg  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #6

Thanks for your reply. My husband left for his camping trip without fixing. He will use a lantern and cooler until we can dig deeper when he returns. We will check all these things at that time. I'm hoping it's something simple too. Again, thanks.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #7

He did try this button. Ours is located in the storage that you access from the side of the unit. It goes into the storage area under the bed inside the unit. He checked it as well to make sure it wasn't torn or disconnected. It didn't appear to be. It's baffling. I appreciate you taking the time to help. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimitjc@gmail.com View Post
.....We do not know where to go from here. Thanks!
There's also a panel (usually at floor level somewhere) with lots of fuses and breakers to check. Something in there could be the problem.

Until you get the 12v working, you may be travelling without trailer brakes, which could be very dangerous.

You can test your electric trailer brakes by pulling the pin at the front of your trailer, and trying to pull forward, you want to know the trailer wheels are locked up with that pin pulled. It snaps back in easily after you do the test.

You're looking for a small black mounted on the a-frame of the trailer, the pin (key) you need to pull will have a cable attached to it that you connect to your vehicle.
https://cdn1.tmbi.com/BCP/pro-tips/F..._TRAILR_09.jpg
Old 04-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #9

He did check his brakes and exterior lights before getting on the road. All were in working order. I appreciate the tip. Any other suggestions appreciated. We are do it yourselfers and are hoping to avoid a trip to the dealership for repair. ☹
Old 04-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimitjc@gmail.com View Post
He did check his brakes and exterior lights before getting on the road. All were in working order. I appreciate the tip. Any other suggestions appreciated. We are do it yourselfers and are hoping to avoid a trip to the dealership for repair. ☹
Good, I should have been clearer, I'm not talking about the brakes working while hooked up. I meant you need to check the breakaway system that uses the trailer's battery to lock the trailer brakes if the trailer were to ever breakaway from your vehicle.

This has nothing to do with the braking system working while you are hooked up. If nothing in the trailers 12v system is working once it is disconnected from your towing vehicle, and the battery is good, then the breakaway system may not be functioning either. Easily tested as descibed in my previous message.

This could be the most worrisome aspect of not knowing if your trailer's 12v system is working properly.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

Thanks. When he gets back, I'll show him this info. Hopefully, he checked this. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #12

No problem, we all learn from each other this way!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #13

Yes, that's correct. That's why I came to this site to see if anyone could help us figure it out. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #14

I had a similar problem with my 189FBR. Turned out that the external fuse holder on the positive wire near the battery was faulty. You may also have corrosion on one or more crimped electrical connector that attach to the battery. When I replaced the fuse holder I also cleaned and soldered all the crimped external connectors. Good luck.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #15

Had a similar problem with my FF189 some years ago. One day everything worked and the next day nothing powered by the battery worked. Running lights powered by tow vehicle worked. After trying everything I could think of, finally crawled under trailer and checked the main power line inch by inch from battery to the connection in the rear of the trailer. Found a spot where the wire rubbed against the frame and finally wore through an shorted out. Fixed quickly with electrical tape.
JefPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #16

Thanks everyone. He found the problem. He doesn't want me to tell but it was a fuse. He did check them but somehow this particular one tested ok but wasn't. Grateful for all the responses in trying to help. We look forward to taking it out next- with everything working. Safe travels and happy camping.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #17

Tell him not to be ashamed of a fuse issue. The little plastic ones are often hard to remove, and it is hard to see if there is a break in the wire.

After a few disasters using a needle nose pliers, I now keep a fuse puller (looks like tweezers) in the glove box of my truck. And if my vision continues to go downhill, I will carry a little magnifying glass so I can see the wire inside the fuse.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #18

I've had to replace the fuse on the main line leading from the battery twice since 2012.

Now I carry a few spares in the tow vehicle for the next time it needs replacement.