Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Default Noisy air conditioner

I have a 2008 X210WBS. The Duo-Therm air conditioner had become noisy and vibrated. Today my brother washed the rear fins with a gentle stream of water several times. Lots of dirt washed out and now the air works perfectly. That set me off looking for dirt dobber nests etc. The refrigerator compartment had a rather large nest. All of this happened after storing the trailer over the summer.

lyoung05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #2

I'm sorry for what happened in your air conditioner and refrigerator. To avoid that again for the next time, you have to do regular check ups for your appliances. Otherwise, they will stack up and later they won't work anymore.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #3

Default Re: Noisy air conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoung05
I have a 2008 X210WBS. The Duo-Therm air conditioner had become noisy and vibrated. Today my brother washed the rear fins with a gentle stream of water several times. Lots of dirt washed out and now the air works perfectly. That set me off looking for dirt dobber nests etc. The refrigerator compartment had a rather large nest. All of this happened after storing the trailer over the summer.
Mine has been noisy since the day i bought it you cant even sleep with the AC on its so loud to watch tv with it running is about impossable.
queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #4

I agree. I have a 2012 and it’s ridiculous how loud it is. That being said I’m relatively happy with the camper over the years
dwightfdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
APD

Our rooftop AC is loud also. In our tiny rig it is way over sized anyway. We've decided to use it until it gives trouble and then do the built-in/wall-mount/roof-exhaust conversion.
It would be less stress on the roof as well. IMHO.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
Our rooftop AC is loud also. In our tiny rig it is way over sized anyway. We've decided to use it until it gives trouble and then do the built-in/wall-mount/roof-exhaust conversion.
It would be less stress on the roof as well. IMHO.

Alan
DO you have a link or more info on this conversion?
snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlsmith View Post
DO you have a link or more info on this conversion?
No I don't. But looking at units, such as Jayco that have one factory installed, it looks easy enough. The wall vent is available and the roof vent is the same as the fridge vents. The ac would need a drain installed but that's not that hard. The unit would need to be boxed in and supported.
The big thing would be location. We have an area over the fridge/microwave. Having a FK (front kitchen) model helps as there is a shelf there already.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 04-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

Yea those roof top AC units are crazy noisy. IMHO, the side/window AC units are the way to go. If I were going to do it, the perfect place would be the shelve where the TV is on the back wall. Unfortunately, fixing the big hole in the roof from the existing AC unit is holding me back. LOL
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
APD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Yea those roof top AC units are crazy noisy. IMHO, the side/window AC units are the way to go. If I were going to do it, the perfect place would be the shelve where the TV is on the back wall. Unfortunately, fixing the big hole in the roof from the existing AC unit is holding me back. LOL
Twinster that hole should be a standard size for installation of a vent or possibly a fan. At least on ours it is. Ours would actually have a shelf to sit upon. Every summer I vow that it's gonna be a winter project and then every winter I get lazy......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 05-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #10

Never really noticed any unusual loudness from the rooftop A/C on my XT276. Running it while watching TV or conversing has never been an issue.

Hope others find a remedy.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Never really noticed any unusual loudness from the rooftop A/C on my XT276. Running it while watching TV or conversing has never been an issue.

Hope others find a remedy.
Is you AC ducted in your 27 foot trailer? If so, that maybe the reason it is quite. In any case, the reason roof top ACs are loud is because they are sitting on a great resonance box (aka the trailer) which amplifies the vibration from the compressor and blower fan.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #12

We usually let the cold air dump out the ceiling vent directly under the roof mounted A/C for a fast cool down but the big ceiling vent can be partially/fully closed to move cooled air thru the duct work that is also used by the furnace....and the ducted outlets are near floor level.