Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #1

Default Outdoor grill location on the XT276

Over the 4th of July Holiday, finally had the opportunity to use the outdoor grill that came with the XT276.

First, let me say that the grill works great!! Fact is, haven't found anything that doesn't work great on my unit.

The location is not ideal as it is much to close to the entrance door. When the grill is mounted and the quick coupler propane gas is connected, it hampers entering/exiting thru the doorway without rubbing against the hose. Also, it would be far to easy to come in contact with the grill cover that is hot.

I'd like to move the grill mounting bar a foot or so more toward the rear of the camper. Has anyone done this? How did you seal the mounting holes effectively? Was there any problem in relocating the grill mounting bar?

A slightly longer propane hose would be needed & I'm confident the local propane distributor can makeup a longer hose.

Any hints appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Lock the front door, use back door when cooking. That's how I solved the problem.

greg 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
roy

I don't use the grill rack instead I use a fold out table to sit the grill on. Only issue is when smoke gets heavy it'll go I to camper with door open and set off smoke alarm. Not a big issue.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #4

Yea, thinking it's either be very careful going in/out the front door or move it to a table.

LOL know what you mean about the smoke detector going off too.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #5

I have only used my gas grill once or twice, but the smoke was not an issue. the grill was attached to the bracket. I also carry a small charcoal grill.

Maybe you can find a longer propane hose and move the grill from under the canopy.
greg 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

This place has the quick couplers and hose in various lengths.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/quickconnecthoses.htm

but will check with my local propane supplier and compare prices. I like to support local business.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #7

We're not real happy with the stock grill but it's not bad. Ours looks like it could mar the exterior wall, however. Maybe we're missing something from it (no surprise, the dealership have been idiots).

I have some thick foam to use for that, but anyways, has anyone found an alternate grill that fits the mount system? I'd be willing to spring money for one that was a bit better designed / more features.
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Team

I was pretty underwhelmed with stock grill as well. It looks pretty, but doesn't put out much heat. Some folks have adapted a Weber Q grill to run off of the gas fittings.

I haven't bothered using the grill in while now, but as I recall the frame that hangs on the trailer wall could be used support most any type of tabletop grill.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

I'm one of those that converted a Weber Q120 to use the quick connect fittings. I have (now) 5 hoses I have a short 4' hose to use with the grill when it is raining...I don't like grilling under the awning, but, when it rains, what's a fella' to do? I also have a 10' hose, and two 12' hoses and now a 20' hose. What are all the hoses for?

4' used when grilling under the awning. 10' hose for grilling out from under the awning, 12' hose will reach the back of the trailer to keep smoke away from open windows and the 20' hose will reach a picnic table that is away from the trailer a bit. The 12' hose(s) and the 20' hose are also used with my Campfire-in-a-Can for easy placement of the "campfire" for seating options. I also have a quick connect "T" so that I can run both the grill and the campfire simultaneously and I rigged the regulator, that I removed from the Q120 in adapting the grill to the quick connect system, with a quick connect fitting so that I can snap the regulator back on and use the 1 lb cylinders to fire the grill if we go on a picnic away from the campsite.

I get all the fittings (250 series are used in the RV industry for quick connects - you have to be careful, there are a bunch of "gas" quick connect fittings and they are not interchangeable), from these folks:

Calore Equipment

I, personally, don't like hanging a grill on the filon siding of the trailer...the best way to "clean" a grill is to fire it up on high and let it go until it stops smoking and then brush the ash off. That much heat, that close to the filon makes me nervous, so I've never used a mounting system that places the grill on the trailer. Lots of folks do, but, I don't and won't; a small aluminum folding table works just fine, allows placement so that smoke in the trailer isn't an issue and can also be used as a coffee table between our chairs when not used for grilling.

Here's a link to another posting on the forum describing the alteration process for the Weber Q series of grills (100, 120, 200 and 220 are all the same "type"):

Grills

There are several more threads if you want to do a search Lots of options open to the RVer for grills and connections.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Don I share your concern about the grill being so close to the trailer wall. That was one reason I didn't even try it out for over a year, until my better half talked me into it. I figured I would monitor it pretty closely and shut it off if it got too warm. Once I actually hooked it up I found it stands off quite a ways from the wall. I don't know what the btu rating is on it, but it wouldn't surprise me that it's designed to be low to keep the heat down.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #11

I decided not to try and move the grill mounting bar on the side of the camper.

I did purchase an extension propane hose from these folks, tejassmokers ~ who shipping very prompty
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
Don I share your concern about the grill being so close to the trailer wall. That was one reason I didn't even try it out for over a year, until my better half talked me into it. I figured I would monitor it pretty closely and shut it off if it got too warm. Once I actually hooked it up I found it stands off quite a ways from the wall. I don't know what the btu rating is on it, but it wouldn't surprise me that it's designed to be low to keep the heat down.
That was what I found... I tried the "included" grill on a table and found that it didn't get near hot enough for what and way we cook. That was the big "push" to go to the Weber Q120. It gets plenty hot and much too hot to be near the filon. I like a good "sear" (actually the DW likes her stuff "char" on the outside, but, not overcooked; you only get that with cast iron and lots of heat) and I could never get it with the grill that came with my 210WBS. If you stay with the "stock" grill, it probably won't hurt the filon, but, I'm a wuss when it comes to potentially damaging that stuff (I had a fiberglass boat...very expensive to repair and filon isn't any cheaper! ) The Weber gives the desired "cooking environment" that we like and it was much too hot (and probably too heavy) to try and finagle onto the wall mount. The new 5th wheel came with a grill, but, Keystone decided that mounting on the side wasn't in their best interest...it didn't cook that well, so, I'm still using the Weber Q; it cooks as well as the huge Weber LP that I have at the sticks and bricks, only in a smaller more compact package.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote