Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Default Outside speakers

Hi everyone. With camping season coming I have a little question. Has anyone replaces the outside speakers on the XT-245 or any model for that matter. Wondering what you used & where you got them from? I cant tell what size I need from the paper work either,

Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #2

Speaker size is likely 6-1/2", They are on my 214WSD. They come out easily. Replacements will be limited to mounting depth. Measure your speakers mounting depth, and get some equivalent. Polk and Infinity make some great marine grade speakers that will fit. Just make sure they are not too deep.
It will sound better, but not a huge improvement, the walls of these trailers are just too thin to be a good "cabinet" for a speaker.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #3

Hi I have a x189fbs fun finder and I replaced the outside speaker's
with Fusion 6 inch marine speaker's hope this is of sum assistance
Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

What year is your 189fbs? I broke a grill cover and either need to replace it, or replace the speakers all together.
Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Hi the year is 2008 I took both the speaker's out as one was not working
so I just replaced both of them just had to drill new hole's as new one's didn't line up with the old one's and put some silicon sealer around them no problem, cost $80 NZ dollar's for the pair could be cheaper in your part of the world.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply`s everyone. I am hoping to get camper out next weekend. Guess I'll measure and see what I can find. I'm getting vibration like blown speaker sound. Hence why I was curious if anyone replaced them.

Thanks again for the replies.[/i]
PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyV
Thanks for the reply`s everyone. I am hoping to get camper out next weekend. Guess I'll measure and see what I can find. I'm getting vibration like blown speaker sound. Hence why I was curious if anyone replaced them.

I was getting that sound too. Turned out to be a connector to big in size for the speaker connector. Cruiser home made wiring at its finest. I put the correct size connector on and busted speaker sound went away. Also I would point out if its like mine they used cheesey black plastic backing covers which were just stapled to inside wall. No good over time and vibrations had these things making all kinds of bad sounds.

Either way changing to a more quality speaker can't hurt. The stock Sony speakers on mine sound aweful with proper connection and no vibrating back cover.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

So how did you all remove the old speakers ??
2000W GoPower Inverter
2x6V LifeLine Battery's
GoPower Solar Elite System
2x Honda 2000's w/ 30 AMP Plug
2x145w Polycrystalline Solar Panels
EAZ-LIFT Weight Dist. Hitch
MARLANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 AM   #9

Pop the cover off and unscrew the speakers.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #10

The dealer demo'ed them when we bought our unit in 2012 but have never used them....kinda like the outside shower, on the useless side IMHO.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #11

ambient music. set up the tiki bar, and you'll have man new friends.
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td
ambient music. set up the tiki bar, and you'll have man new friends.
When out camping, minimal time at the camper other than to sleep or eat. Otherwise, out riding the Harley
Old 05-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy View Post
I was getting that sound too. Turned out to be a connector to big in size for the speaker connector. Cruiser home made wiring at its finest. I put the correct size connector on and busted speaker sound went away. Also I would point out if its like mine they used cheesey black plastic backing covers which were just stapled to inside wall. No good over time and vibrations had these things making all kinds of bad sounds.

Either way changing to a more quality speaker can't hurt. The stock Sony speakers on mine sound aweful with proper connection and no vibrating back cover.

I am looking at upgrading my speakers, but am starting from knowledge base of nil! Here is a picture of my speaker and wiring. I am assuming increasing the wattage would be a good thing, or are there other suggestions you could make? Thanks!

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4710.jpg   IMG_4712.jpg  
Mini Schnauzer Bogey
kayaks, mountain bikes, golf clubs, wine fridge
LIFE IS GOOD
gwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #14

From what I have seen before, it won't do you much good as the factory stereos don't have the output power to drive better speakers. For mine, i would have had to replace the entire system, and the way mine is wired, I would have to tear apart the ceiling to be able to run better wiring.

EDIT: Just looked at my stereo manual and it is only 15w x 4 ch, so only 60w total. The total wattage on mine couldn't even fully drive one of your speakers.
snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #15

The watt rating is the max the speaker can handle. You do not want to put out more power a speaker can handle. Less power will be fine. The other rating you need to pay attention to is the ohm rating. 4 or 8. make sure you match what the stereo can handle. - or + make a difference as well. Make sure you get it right. The speaker will still make sound but backwards. . Seriously. normally a speaker is drawn towards the magnet and released. if the polarity is reverse it will push the speaker and release. this can cancel the sound wave made by another speaker and cut the sound out.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyV View Post

I did not replace mine, they sounded terrible until I insulated and made boxes for them to isolate them from the kitchen cabinets. Silverado
Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
.....kinda like the outside shower, on the useless side IMHO.
I'm with you on the speakers, but regarding the outside shower, you obviously don't take a 10 yr old camping with you then. Our grandson would much rather have his shower and nightly clean up duties while standing outside, singing to whoever will listen, than stepping into the indoor shower! (usually with his swim suit on of course!)

Much less clean up for grampa afterwards too!

At that age, you don't care where, why, or how he takes a shower, you're just glad he has one!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
I did not replace mine, they sounded terrible until I insulated and made boxes for them to isolate them from the kitchen cabinets. Silverado
That big hollow space behind them is terrible for acoustics. My 189FBR has a bunch of wasted space behind them. I took out the divider and opened that area up tot he rest of the cabinet.

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote