Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Default Over filled water tank

Help, i was filling my water tank and got busy and forgot about it filling, and it overflowed the water tank and it expand and lifted the floor at the seam right inside my front door on my 2015 xt276. I think the tank is still expand on the top and holding up the floor at the seam. It's still usable this happened last spring. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if anyone has pictures or anything of how the water tank is removed. It didn't hurt any walls or cabinets or leak, I got Lucky there but my floor is about 1/4 - 1/2 in higer than the front part of floor. I need to get under it and pull the bottom out and see if I can pull the floor back down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bigbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

I have never heard of such a thing! If the top of the tank is bowed up, that will be hard to fix from underneath. The goal, I guess, would be to cause the top to curve in the other direction.

Here is an idea -- this could not hurt, I think. Empty the tank. Then get several large and friendly people to stand very close together inside the trailer on the raised portion of the floor. If that does not work right away, have them jump in unison.

This project may require some beer.

If that does not work, maybe pile cinder blocks on the raised portion of the floor?

Let us know what happens!!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #3

I'v tried this, although not with more than 3 people. I'v thought about moving my weights out there and trying that I have close to 800lbs. I was going to drop the tank and see what's up with it. I'm just not sure how the best way to access the corragated on the underside.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #4

It happened last spring I put the hose in and was also buliding a deck trying to multitask and completely slipped my mind, untill I heard a pop it expanded the tank and bent the angle supports on the bottom and bowed the floor up. I had no idea that would happen, I guess I have really high water pressure. I was so mad at myself for forgetting about it and my wife was PO also.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #5

Try with the water tank empty and hook a shop vacuum to it and see what happens. Never heard of this before. A shop vacuum should not hurt anything. Silverado
Old 05-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #6

Silverado, that is a brilliant idea! Bigbrooks, you have to try that.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #7

My idea isn't as elegant as Silverado's, and more expensive: Try filling the water tank, at least partially, with hot water, and then try the weight trick. I know that the offending part of the tank is the top, but perhaps a bit of warmth will let the plastic change shape easier.

Another solution would be to raise the entire rest of the floor 1/4".

Please post a follow-up thread to let us know how you make out!
-- 1962 Wife / Partner-In-Life
vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #8

I'll try these suggestions this weekend and report back. Just a reminder to never leave the tank unattended when filling.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrooks View Post
I'll try these suggestions this weekend and report back. Just a reminder to never leave the tank unattended when filling.
I know this won't help you resolve your problem, but I was wondering how you can actually over fill the fresh water tank.

On mine, and every other trailer I've owned, I was able to stick the hose into the fill opening and forget about it until it was full. There is an overflow that starts dumping out water when its full, and only then I would pull out the hose.

Is there nothing on yours like this? I couldn't find a picture of the exact one on our FF but these are all similar.

In all three of these examples, the little hole with a screen is where the water comes squirting out when its full:
Attached Thumbnails
WaterFill1.JPG   WaterFill2.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #10

Yes, the 276 has that vent/over fill tube buts it's only 1/2 in the pressure from my hose out of my house was too much it was putting in more than it could evacuate. Believe me I I thought the same thing but it happened. It made a very loud pop and bent the angle supports underneath, and buckled up the floor a bit. I was able to straighten the angle supports in my shop press but the floor doesn't want to come back down. My hose out after my hose is a 5/8 in also. Just a warning I don't want this to happen to anyone else. Thank goodness it wasn't damaged where I couldn't use it.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #11

Wow, I will no longer ignore this risk! Thanks.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #12

I too am surprised because of the overfill vent hole. this is good to know about and thanks for explaining. sorry it happened to you!
our water tank fill hole is smaller than any I've ever had, and a hose with an end on it won't really fit in. I have to fill my tank very slowly and use one of those pieces of plastic tubing that fit on the end of the hose. I suppose that is why I can leave it while filling. If it is filling slowly, the overflow can relieve pressure.
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #13

Here is a picture of my fill port and my floor
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180512_131202.jpg   IMG_20180512_131211.jpg   IMG_20180512_131133.jpg  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #14

When I fill my tank, I only turn the water on about half strength and only use the hose head in the fill tube. I generally walk away and come back when I hear water spraying out the vent tube and around the hose head.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #15

Yeah In hind sight I should have done that also. It never crossed my mind it would do what it did. Oh well life lesson learned lol. I've been working so much lately I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it when I do it seems like it's always raining.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrooks View Post
Here is a picture of my fill port and my floor
Seeing your pictures lends me to believe the plywood seem is lifted on top of the other piece and that is what is holding up the floor. It may have pulled the fasteners out and no matter what you do will work unless you can remove the lino in that spot and access the problem seam. Once exposed remove the fasteners and then force the high side back down to level and refasten. Hopefully that is all that is stopping the floor from returning to its original height.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #17

Silverado, that is exactly what happened. It was a tongue and groove seam. the tongue popped up in the middle. I had to drop the fresh fresh water tank cut all the screws that were also holding up the plywood flooring then instill had to cut back the linoleum and cut the toungue off at the seem. Once I got it back into place I had to refashion the flooring back down too the frame support. I used nuts and counter sunk carriage bolts so it is nice and firm. Got the tank all put back in and check for leaks, I literally just got done doing all this. I still have to finish up some fine touches but the floor is level again and secure. Iam a happy tired but happy man lol my wife wants to change the linoleum now since it's already out lol so she's happy also. all in all it me about 3.5 hours+ some work in the morning cleaning. Thanks for all the help all of you.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #18

It's too bad you had to delve that deep into the trailer but glad you were able to fix it. Have fun camping. Silverado
Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #19

Well done! If you finished that project in just one day of work, you are a lot faster than I am. Plus when I work under the trailer, I have to take a lot of breaks to rest my back -- that is strenuous!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #20

Yeah, im feeling it today in my whole body for sure.