Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

Default Placement of new tires?

My trailer had 5 Load C tires, (dual axle w/ spare) all of which are about 2 years old. During our last trip, we had one blow out on the way up there. Being paranoid, I stopped at the next Tractor Supply and bought another wheel/tire. While at the location, we made a side trip to Discount Tire and got the blowout fixed, replacing it with a Goodyear Endurance Load D rated tire, but did not mount it on the trailer. On the way back home, we had another blowout, and used the new wheel we bought at T.S. After we got home, I had the latest blowout replaced, also with another Endurance. So, after this long winded intro, my question is:

Where should I put the two OEM wheels with the new Load D tires?

Load D both on left or right, Load C on the other?
Load D on front or rear axle, Load C on the other?
Doesn't really matter where you put them, as long as the pressures are set right?

My plan is to replace the other 3 tires, but money is tight right now due to some large unexpected expenses.

snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #2

What brand of tires had the blowouts?

In your case, I'd put one of the Goodyear tires on each side. Then, you've got a new, good tire on each side if one of the other older tires should blow.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #3

I agree with Marti. Put both new tires on the same axle just as you would when putting two new tires on your tow vehicle, and I'd put them on the front axle.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #4

Figured I would just keep the two new tires as spares until they were needed to get as much mileage out of the old ones as I could. Well, that didn't last long. Didn't even make it to the highway before the new one that I bought from Tractor Supply (on the front axle) was flat. What's even worse, is that after I took it off I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with it.

Since I was already putting one of the new ones on, I went ahead and changed both. 100 miles later, one of the remaining old ones threw its tread, but stayed inflated. I had heard a thud, but nothing else so I figured it was just something in the road I had run over, but when we happened to stop for food, I saw it.

My trailer season is done for the year, so will slowly replace each of the remaining tires, including the spare, as finances allow. Gonna bring the TC wheel up to Discount to get checked out to see if they can find the leak.
snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote