Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to smokjump
Default poor workmanship

Since my July post the hits just keep on commin for me! Got the cable fixed (poor connections) and the minor knick knack stuff too. Since then the A/C started only blowing on one side (joint not taped) and a few repairs for shop. NOW the flush valve for black water tank isn't dumping water in the tank, the by-pass on the fresh water pump will not draw from anti-freeze bottle to get anti into the water lines, the antenna for the TV/radio failed, just to mention a few. One good thing is Cruiser, at least so far, has paid for repairs done at shop and the "minor" ones I did. There is a really good thing and that is this forum. Super info out there from the members that gets me thru most "issues". Thanks to all that contribute

smokjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #22

Can't help with a lot of those problems...

The winterizing kit, though is probably just installed backwards. As RoadRunner found on his... The winterizing valve is a diverter type valve. In it's correct fitment, the valve connects the pump to the freshwater tank, allowing freshwater to flow through the system. In the "diverted" poistion it connects the pump to the antifreeze siphon pipe allowing the pump to draw from the antifreeze bottle. You'll notice the operative phrase "connects the pump to..."

If it is installed backwards it then becomes; it connects the freshwater tank to the pump...that still allows water to flow from the tank to the pump and you won't notice anything wrong. However, when you go to winterize and turn the diverter handle, it connects the freshwater tank to the antifreeze siphon hose and the pump can't draw anything; not antifreeze or freshwater.

The remedy? Take the valve out, turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. A bother, for sure, but, easily corrected. The little valves are marked for "pump side" or "flow direction", but, in the haste of installation, it is easily overlooked and it isn't something that is readily "QC'd" at the factory as the valve, installed correctly or backwards, will always connect the pump and the freshwater tank. It is only upon winterization that it becomes apparent that it is installed backwards.

Need a little more information on the antenna problem... Is the amplifier light "ON", will it come "ON" at all? You checked all the connections, even the ones to the wall plate? If you go up on the roof and pull the connection from the antenna head, using a VOM, do you get 12v across the connector? There should be a 12v fuse in the fuse panel for the TV, is it good? Unfortunately, there are a lot of places for the signal path to go wrong. Could even be the amplifier in the atenna head has gone south (if it has, I recommend replacing it with a Jack Off The Air Antenna; one of the first "mods" I do on a new trailer, even if I'm not having a problem).

The black tank rinser is probably something as simple as the backflow preventer valve is broken. They aren't too terribly "rugged" (the ones that the manufacturers use; read "cheap") and they can self-destruct leaving the hose blocked in both directions instead of just one...

Yes, there are an awful lot of "quality" issues with today's RVs, but, on the whole, for what RVers are willing to pay for a rolling house, completely furnished and with all appliances furnished, it is to be expected. It amazes me, sometimes, that we are willing to pay north of $30,000 for a car, but, complain mightily when we have to pay $18,000 for a rolling house with all the amenities. The companies have no recourse but to cut costs and the only places they can cut costs is the quality of the included parts and the quality of assembly. We've basically got no one to blame but ourselves. On the whole, for what we "pay", I think most of us get a pretty good deal for the dollars invested; minor problems are to be expected. Some of us get what appears to be "more than our share", but, we all have them, it is how we deal with them that makes the difference. Take a deep breath, realize it isn't personal, get them fixed and enjoy your traveling house. And remember, just like your sticks and bricks; what isn't broken today could well be broken tomorrow, it is part of the price of admission.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #23

Default Workmanship

We have a 210UDS. On our first trip we turned in a list of 10 things to the dealer that needed to be fixed. They fixed them all and have nothing go wrong on the next two trips. So, hopefully we will not have too much go wrong in the future because we really love the trailer and the floor plan.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #24

Default Earthquakes

I spoke to a FF dealer in Georgia. His quote about travel trailers sticks in my mind when I read these repair issues. He said, "An RV trailer is a rolling earthquake!" When you consider that statement, its no wonder everything needs to be adjusted and tightened. All in all is everyone satisfied with Cruiser RV? We are looking to purchase an FF F-21-UDS here in the near future. The wife is leaning toward an Airstream but unless we hit the lottery that's just not going to happen. Let me know.
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #25
Site Team

Rolling Earthquake is a perfect description. With travel trailers the maintenance level is a bit higher than what most of us are used to on our cars/trucks/suvs so I think that surprises a lot of people.

All travel trailers are also pretty much built by hand which leads to a lot more variation in the final product. When you consider that most of the trailers are assembled from components purchased from other manufacturers, Suburban, Atwood, Dometic, Dexter, Lippert, etc. it almost doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, you get mostly the same thing. The manufacturers also rely a lot on the dealers to do the fine tuning once they get them on the lot. Some dealers are better than others. And my personal opinion is that the dealer is really the one that makes or breaks satisfaction with the trailer. If you have a problem and the dealer won't help that is for sure going to create dissatisfaction.

FWIW I'm very pleased with my FF.

Then of course if someone is having unresolved problems they are going to post it. If someone isn't having problems they post about other topics. Nobody posts that they DIDN"T have a problem. So you tend to only hear the bad stuff.

My personal experience has been very good. A few minor problems at first. One with the stove (Suburban) and one with the AC (Dometic). Both were minor fixes that the dealer took care of.

One last thought is that the Airstreams don't come with a slideout. To me that would be a dealbreaker. The slide gives you so much extra room I would never buy a trailer without at least one.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #26

As far as TV antenna problems go I had little to no reception, I picked up a Jack antenna and hooked it up, still no TV and it was getting dark and I noticed the red light on the antenna was not on when the amp button was pushed on. So I pulled the Amp. Socket and removed all cable wires after marking them with tape and sure enough after checking continuity on each they were hooked up wrong. The antenna cable was on the terminal for outside second TV, Cable in was on TV terminal, and the second TV cable was on antenna terminal. After correctly labeling the wires it was an easy fix. Now when its raining we have a great HD picture on our TV.

So when I turned the stereo on as long as 1 speaker button was pushed in (A or B or C) sound out of every speaker inside and out. So out came the stereo and sure enough all speaker wires were connected together
I identified each speaker and labeled it, hooked it up correctly and the stereo now sounds great too.
TV: 2015 Silverado 3500 HD
Duramax
thefarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #27

Default Re: The pucker factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagoAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
When you say the walls are puckered, do you mean the vinyl fabric that covers the wall inside the shower? That should not be puckered -- that is annoying. But not crucial, as long as it does not leak. Is there a way to find out if it is watertight?
Found a pic. Go here and enlarge image #17. You'll see on the right how the shower liner pulls away from the wall

http://www.holmanrv.com/inventory/21...r-S_261BH.aspx
The tub/shower surround is not fastened with adhesive in my FF....rather there are 'buttons' that secure the surround to the wall paneling.

I believe the puckering you are referring to has to do with the temperature and expansion/contraction difference between the plastic surround and the wood paneling.

I have noticed the same situation and the warmer it is in the camper, the more noticeable the puckering.