Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Post Shakedown water heater question.

Hello,

we just took our brand new S282BHS Shadow Cruiser out for a shakedown trip. It towed like a dream behind my 2011 F150. We "camped" at the Grand parents driveway near Sequim, WA with full connections. The trailer did great, we tested most every thing on it with no issue.

The only concern I had when I got back was that we used a LOT (50%) of of propane for being fully connected all weekend. I asked my Father-In-law about it who has about 35 years of owning an RV. He asked what type of water heather and said I probably had the water heater on the whole time. From what I can find it has an DSI 6 Gallon gas/elec unit. He said I should have a switch at the unit and control panel. I went and looked, I have no switch at the unit outside for Electric On/Off and the only switch at my control panel that makes the water heater start is the LP On/Off. I noticed that next to the switch is a red light with DSI over it. I want to make sure next time we go out that I am not running on gas but only electric if I have electric. Even if I am running the rig off propane I want to be able to turn the water heater off as to not heat water all night/day only when needed to conserve. Any help/tips are appreciated!!

Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake controller
Beardowndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

The ON / OFF switch for the electric side of our water heater is on the outside and it's a bit hard to see at first .....

But if you look in the lower left corner, it might be there ....

Old 07-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

What size propane tank? That seems like a lot.
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

That is where I looked for a switch as well, didnt see it. It at storage now but I wanted to get all my info for our next run.

I have 2 30lb tanks. The meter on them is where it was about 50% used up. I am also sure its not extremely accurate but a good guestimate.

I really want to know for sure that I am not using it on gas, especially while moving. I had the gas on for the fridge, but do not want the water heater on too. Then when im on land power I want to know its on electric
Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake controller
Beardowndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #5

Did you check inside the cabinet where the water heater resides. It isn't logical but the switch might be on the front of the water heater inside the enclosure. I know that sounds like a pretty stupid place to put it for obvious reasons, but a place I'd still rule out if it were me.

What about contacting Cruiser RV Customer Service and asking them ?

Old 07-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #6

We switch the water heater off after showering, every evening -- otherwise it will cycle once or twice during the night, and the propane makes a slight roaring noise. The switch for ours is on a panel near the front door, next to the water pump switch.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardowndave
That is where I looked for a switch as well, didnt see it. It at storage now but I wanted to get all my info for our next run.

I have 2 30lb tanks. The meter on them is where it was about 50% used up. I am also sure its not extremely accurate but a good guestimate.

I really want to know for sure that I am not using it on gas, especially while moving. I had the gas on for the fridge, but do not want the water heater on too. Then when im on land power I want to know its on electric
The gauge on the propane tank only reads the amount in the ONE tank you are using .... not both tanks together. When the one tank being used goes empty, you manually switch over to the other tank.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
TCP

Chances are you have one like in the picture. When on electricity, you can leave the switch inside the trailer in the off position, then flip the switch outside to the on position and it will stay hot on electricity. The outside switch has a hole in it and a tiny cotter pin through it that keeps the switch from accidentally being turned on. It is there to remind you that the tank needs to be full before turning on the switch or you'll burn out the electric element in short order.

TCP is offline   Reply With Quote