Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #1

Default Power requirements for a generator?

Hi,

I've lived in a camper full time, but was hooked to shore the entire time.

I've got a 2008 Funfinder X230DS (24 foot with 2 electric slides) and am just wanting some suggestions on generators - what would I need to run the refrigerator, a/c and possibly microwave while using it without shore power?

I have a single Honda EU2200i but I know that isn't powerful enough. I read a couple of posts about connecting 2 of these (not sure how that is done) and some expensive piece that can make a smaller generator like mine run things like my camper (don't want that).

I just want recommendations on what wattage ratings I should be looking at when shopping for an inverter generator.

Thank you!

snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #2

The problem is start current on the AC which I have read can be 30 Amps or more. I know our AC in the trailer will not run off a 15 Amp circuit which would be 1800 Watts without tripping the breaker. At home I changed the trailer circuit to 20 Amps (2400 Watts) and it will run the AC but keep in mind that a breaker takes time to blow so apparently there is enough juice to get it going.
For an inverter generator I would suggest getting something in the 3KW range but keep in mind that they are much heavier. I have heard some campers say their Yamaha generators are good. I believe Yamaha makes a 2800 which is rated to handle the surge of an AC but perhaps some readers have direct experience.
I hava a friend who connects two of the Hondas together and they work great. Some of the soft starts for the AC compressor get good reviews.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Team

The AC is your biggest power user as Jimbo said. To run everything you list you really have 2 options. You can get a Honda 2000 companion and run it in parallel with the one you already have using a Honda power cord. That's probably the least expensive way to go. Or you can get a larger 3000 W generator of any of several brands out there. Downside of the 2 generators in parallel is that you'll have to refuel every 3 hours or so. The 3000 watt versions have bigger fuel tanks so can run longer without refueling. I have the Honda 3000 and it will run the AC for 8+ hours which allows me to run the AC overnight. The downside is it's heavy at 130 lbs. So it really depends on your specific situation which way is best.
Also Honda's webpage has a lot of info on what wattage the various RV equipment takes.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #4

We picked up a 3,000 craftsman inverter generator and it does a jam up job and is super quiet for around 8 hrs run time., Less than $500 too, great value.
Attached Thumbnails
craftsman 3000.jpg  
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapless View Post
Hi,

I've lived in a camper full time, but was hooked to shore the entire time.

I've got a 2008 Funfinder X230DS (24 foot with 2 electric slides) and am just wanting some suggestions on generators - what would I need to run the refrigerator, a/c and possibly microwave while using it without shore power?

I have a single Honda EU2200i but I know that isn't powerful enough. I read a couple of posts about connecting 2 of these (not sure how that is done) and some expensive piece that can make a smaller generator like mine run things like my camper (don't want that).

I just want recommendations on what wattage ratings I should be looking at when shopping for an inverter generator.

Thank you!
You already have an excellent generator with the Honda EU2200i - simply add the EU2200i COMPANION and the cable set to pair the two together and you can run everything in your camper with no issues.

I have the EU2000i and companion EI2000i and join them with the cable set. They work perfect together. Also easy to move instead of some large, heavy 500# generator.

The cable set to connect the two Honda's is a simple plug in system and so simple to connect, even a cave man could do it.

Check this link: http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...-Operation.pdf

The parrallel cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US
Old 09-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFunFinder View Post
The problem is start current on the AC which I have read can be 30 Amps or more. I know our AC in the trailer will not run off a 15 Amp circuit which would be 1800 Watts without tripping the breaker. At home I changed the trailer circuit to 20 Amps (2400 Watts) and it will run the AC but keep in mind that a breaker takes time to blow so apparently there is enough juice to get it going.
For an inverter generator I would suggest getting something in the 3KW range but keep in mind that they are much heavier. I have heard some campers say their Yamaha generators are good. I believe Yamaha makes a 2800 which is rated to handle the surge of an AC but perhaps some readers have direct experience.
I hava a friend who connects two of the Hondas together and they work great. Some of the soft starts for the AC compressor get good reviews.
Thank you all for the replies, and most especially JimboFunFinder for giving me the Amps/Watts I was looking for.

I know you are all trying to help, but I was very specific because I need this in about 3 weeks and don't want to be out of pocket $1000 or more right now.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies, and most especially JimboFunFinder for giving me the Amps/Watts I was looking for.

I know you are all trying to help, but I was very specific because I need this in about 3 weeks and don't want to be out of pocket $1000 or more right now.
Then the Craftsman 3000 is the ticket that is less than 1K, Lowes has them now for $600ish

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-C...tor/1000604349
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
APD

Lightbulb

Quote:

Your rig is a 30 amp service.
30 amps x 120 volts = 3600 watts. At least that's what my 5th grade science teacher told us......
You would probably never use the full load rating at one time so yeah, a 3KW gen set would be adequate, I would think.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #9

My opinion....
1. You already have a Honda eu2200i unit
2. Add the companion Honda eu2200i unit and hook together with a parallel cable and you will have rated power of 3600 watts and 30.0 amps....with a MAXIMUM power of 4400 watts and 36.7 amps.

The extra available electrical output is far better than a power source that barely meets your needs.

That is my opinion for whatever you think if it.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #10

I agree with everyone suggesting the Honda companion. I've done this and been happy with the results. The other thing to consider is a soft starter for your AC. This helps with the AC compressor's start up surge. Final thing to consider if you're really into off-grid camping is to convert the Hondas to propane. This is great because you don't have to carry around gas and the external gas tank to extend the generator's run time. Plus don't have to worry about the seasonal drain and store, carburetor gumming up. They also sell a Y-splitter to hook both generators to a single propane tank.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #11

HutchMountain.com sells a propane conversion kit for Honda generators. I know them to have good products as I got a kit from them that runs the generator until the last drop of gas is out of the carb. He also sells on Amazon.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
For your needs, I agree that the Craftsman 3000 (if you can find it) or the $950 Champion 3400 are good enough choices. You want enough running wattage to match your camper draw. 30 amp service at 120 volts is 3600 watts.

I have two $500 Champion 2000 watt "stackables" with the parallel kit. One will run the entire camper comfortably as long as I don't need the air. I'm a little more careful running on one than on shore power, though, because a toaster and the microwave can overwhelm it. I run both when I use the a/c.

Having two separate generators has some side benefits beyond weight and convenience: it is cheaper and probably quieter to run a small generator than a big one, even when the bigger unit is "loafing." More interesting is the ability to leave one to run the camper and use the other to run appliances or tools somewhere else. We're rebuilding my S&B here in the Keys now and I've had to use one generator to run the worksite a couple of times when the power went out.

I'm thinking snapless could have the best of both worlds. Keep the Honda 2000i and buy a [Something] 3600. Run on the Honda when power needs are low and the bigger unit other times but always have a second set in reserve. I wish I had thought to do it that way when I bought mine .
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #13

Why not stay hooked on shore power? It's still much less expensive than running on gas. Plus it doesn't annoy neighbors. But if you must then get a soft start for the AC then at least it won't have problems with the high start current. Then you'll need to manage the power usage. Like not running AC and microwave at the same time.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #14

My 2KW knockoff gen can’t run the air in on my 189FBS - but I plan to try a “soft start” kit (about $300 - reduces start current) in my aircon unit to see if I can stick with this smaller, lighter generator. Anybody else have success with that mod?
dpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #15

I've found that the cheapest as well as the easiest way is to tap in to the neighbors A.C.

mjpguy is offline   Reply With Quote