Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Power Stabilizers

Does anyone know how to operate the power stabilizers if a motor goes out. From what I can find out, it looks like you have to disconnect the power from the motor and remove the motor from the screw mount. Then use the hand crank which came with the trailer, which is a 210 UDS. Anybody had to actually do this? It looks like some allen screws hold the motor to the mount. Thanks.

EDLCRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #2

Maybe someone that has a set can chime in...

I haven't owned a pair of motorized stab jacks that CruiserRV uses, but, I know that the BAL versions have a hex nut on the outside of the motor that the hand crank fits onto if the motor or switch goes bad; you don't need to remove the motor on their version. However, not having seen the FunFinder usage, I don't know if they install the BAL version or some other brand...

Worse case, you can always give CruiserRV a call and ask them...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #3

I guess that is one reason we don't have all those electric gadgets on our trailer, it can all quit and then what?

I don't mind spending 4 minutes cranking down the stabelizer jacks, or 2 minutes cranking up or down the hitch, all we have that is electric is the awning and the slide, To be honest I don't care for the electric awning, it seems very flimsy,but I do like that the the arms are out of the way that we don't run into those. jmo
jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
roy

Default Re: Power Stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDLCRI
Does anyone know how to operate the power stabilizers if a motor goes out. From what I can find out, it looks like you have to disconnect the power from the motor and remove the motor from the screw mount. Then use the hand crank which came with the trailer, which is a 210 UDS. Anybody had to actually do this? It looks like some allen screws hold the motor to the mount. Thanks.
The black rubber plug cap on end of motor comes off and you will find a 10 mm nut behind the cap. You will need a cordless drill to get it up or down fast, using a ratchet and 10 mm socket will take a long time but will work.

Two of mine had the motor freeze up brand new never used before. I freed them up with electrical contact spray but in the process figured out what the 10mm nut was for. IMO they are junk but I ordered them anyway. When they work they are nice to have.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #5

Default Power Stabilizer

Thanks for the replys folks. I actually have not had any problem with my power stabilizers, but was just thinking "what if". So far they work great, and having had major back surgery last summer, have been a savior for me. Don't think my back could stand too much of hand cranking, so we got all power jacks and awning on our FunFinder. Certainly glad we did. But it is nice to know how to operate them if needed.
EDLCRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #6

Before purchasing my XT276, I inquired about the power stabilizer jacks. Since they are NOT self levelers, I did not get them. An 18 volt Dewalt drill with a socket does the job just fine and I already had the drill.

I do love the electric jack and electric awning. If you ever had to hand crank a trailer tongue frequently, you know you want an electric jack.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #7

Yep, I sure do. First time out and one failed.

A. Remove black cap.

B. Locate nut (small, but it's the first thing you see) and cross your fingers your drill is charged, because I swear it seems to take a couple minutes to lift or lower. It's like watching paint dry.

Options:

A. Disconnect wires.

B. Remove four allen screws to remove the motor.

C. Unless you're prepared to drill new holes into the frame of your trailer, leave the motor mounts.

D. Grind/file down the edges of the manual crank provided by the manufacturer. This way the crank will fit through the holes of the motor mounts. If you've followed a long so far, you know you're converting your jacks to manual operation.

E. Take apart one of those motors. Remove crank fitting.

F. Add a bolt and nut to this fitting. Note: You probably should grind down the head of the bolt, so it fits onto the jack more better. Try it without and you'll see what I mean.

G. Put your cool new adapter on your drill. Works 10x faster than the electric jack did, and more importantly, it's far more reliable.
ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

Bottom line on electric stabilizer jacks is they're a waste of time and money. To be honest, the manufacturer is sending me a new motor, and I've decided to keep them on for resale value. But if I experience one more failure, then I will remove them. This will be easy to do, because I've already prepared for it.

You're not gaining anything by having electric jacks. The only benefit is you get to say, "check out my electric jacks".............Wow, neat, you can push in a button for 10 seconds (x 4). I mean, how cool is that? A drill is MUCH faster, and a "manual" jack is more reliable.

For the money paid for these motors, you can purchase at least six Makita 9.6V drills, plus a flashlight, a crank fitting, two batteries and a charger for each one.

ZZSPIRAL is offline   Reply With Quote