Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Default Question about a lift

My neighbor was interested in buying my 160x for west travels but they said that it didn't sit high enough saying that some of the areas they go would take out the pipes. Has anyone put a lift kit on their TT and if so what would be necessary? Thanks in Advance

Old 06-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

There are two ways to go. If you have torsion axles, they make inexpensive lift kits -- I think it can increase the height about three inches?? You can do it yourself, or have the dealer do it.

If you have leaf springs and a conventional axle, you can "flip" the axle, giving you several more inches of clearance. That is what we did on our current trailer. This is still not too expensive -- a few hundred dollars?? Very worthwhile, in my opinion.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

I just lifted my t160 a couple of weeks ago.
Bought 2-2x3 pieces of steel tube. Us bolted the tort ion axle dropped it down. Marked hole location. Drilled out the holes. Painted the steel. Bolted new steel to frame and bolted axle to steel tube. You will need 2 more bolts, washers and nuts. 2-3 hour job. Spray existing boots several days before with something to penetrate any rust.
No more dragging out of the driveway.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Made some spelling errors. I don't like auto fill.
I just lifted my t160 a couple of weeks ago.
Bought 2-2x3 pieces of steel tube. Un bolted the tortion axle and dropped it down. Marked hole location. Drilled out the holes. Painted the steel. Bolted new steel tube to frame and bolted axle to steel tube. You will need 2 more bolts, washers and nuts. 2-3 hour job. Spray existing boots several days before with something to penetrate any rust.
No more dragging out of the driveway.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

My XT276 sits very low compared to many other campers on the road.

I felt that having the unit sit low would reduce the possibility of a high wind gust from tipping it over whereas a unit that sat much higher off the ground would be more prone to tipping in a strong wind.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #6

Eagle, I think that is right -- the higher the center of gravity and the higher the profile, the more you will feel the wind. But if your chassis and the sewer valves are too close to the pavement, you can suffer damage going in and out of steep driveways.

I chose a lot of clearance because we boondock on rough roads, with very big rocks. But I feel the wind, that's for sure.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

Where I live, a "light breeze" seems to be around 20 MPH so a unit that sits low to the ground is preferred.

And since there are no places reasonably close to boondock on public land, campgrounds or walmarts are where it's at and steep driveways are not an issue in this area.