Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #1

Default Question About Empty Storage Compartments on ‘09 189FBS

Hi Everyone —

Couple of questions regarding empty storage places on our ‘09 189FBS.

There is a cabinet door to the lower right of the fridge. Inside is a label stating to not use this for storage.

Then, under the Queen bed, when it is lifted up — there is a square compartment on the right (passenger) side that has a few wires in it that go to the battery disconnect switch on the front side of the compartment.

These both seem like good spaces for storage — if one used a plastic dishpan sized box so that things would not impede or interfere with any wires or drain tubes.

Maybe there is a good explanation for these being empty?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Best Always,

Fred

foakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #2

The under-bed storage is certainly available.

I have never heard of an area near the fridge that can't be used for storage. The back of the fridge has to be kept clear for air circulation over the coils. But the other sides of the fridge are often fully insulated. So I don't see why that space could not be used for storage.

Mysterious! Hopefully, someone can clear this up for us.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Team

I suspect that the storage area near the fridge is also adjacent to the oven and/or the heater. That area can get quite hot while the oven or the heater is being used. If you store stuff in there it can potentially build up enough heat to start a fire.
So if you do put stuff in there don't run your oven or furnace and empty the space if you do intend to run either.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #4

Default Thanks Profdant 139 & LJAZ

That makes sense on both counts guys —

I never thought about the furnace — and it is right next to the empty compartment. If we use it — it will only be in non-furnace weather.

Plenty of storage anyway — we don’t need to fill it up — or even use it.

However, we will use the one under the bed for stuff we don’t need to get to very often.

Leaving today for a 5-day trip over to the Central Coast.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Fred
Old 03-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #5

Safe travels, Fred -- Monday may be a little damp, but in California these days any rain is welcome.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

Here is the cabinet next to the furnace —

Best, Fred
Attached Thumbnails
7E8DC002-4419-484A-9B10-893552CAB24E.jpeg   0DE2D8D3-C772-46CD-A252-40935E83CC8C.jpeg   0D5755FB-33E5-4BA0-9875-EB2FC66AC71A.jpeg   4C6772F6-DD5F-4E70-877E-CA5DB78A3382.jpeg   A7870212-7081-4B58-B939-C8938DC8E34D.jpeg  

Old 03-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #7

That is a great photo, and it clears things up, just as LJAZ had predicted. The manufacturer wants to keep things away from the furnace.

But all is not lost -- what about storing non-flammable stuff in there, like something made of metal? It would have to be anchored firmly on the right side of the compartment, as far from the furnace as possible.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #8

Another thought -- if you look again at the picture, it must not get all that hot inside that compartment. The furnace is right under the fridge, which would be harmed if there were a lot of heat. And the corrugated plastic sleeve over the gas line would have melted if it were very hot.

So perhaps run the furnace and measure the temp inside the compartment on the right side of the gas line -- if it is below (let's say) 120 degrees at that point, you could probably get away with storing something on the right side of the compartment, again making sure it is well-anchored,

The manufacturer's warning is a sensible precaution -- a careless person could easily stuff the compartment full of extra rolls of toilet paper, which would roll around and lodge up against the furnace itself. Not a pretty picture.

But as long as you are extra careful, you should be ok, right??
Old 03-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #9

Makes good sense...

Our ‘09 189FBS has 19 official storage compartments, cabinets, and drawers — inside the trailer. This is not counting the outer, front pass-through, or the outer compartment under the sofa slide-out

Being long time campers and hikers used to minimal storage — we actually have more than we need already.

But it is always good to know the answers for future changes or situations.

Our Six-Pac T-100 hard sided slide-in overhead camper is now named
“Base Camp I”. The FF trailer is Base Camp II.

The trailer with the 4X4 Tacoma, is great with the extra axle height.

And the camper is excellent for getting to the end of a rough road to go backpacking or day-hiking.

And with the camper, we can also pull the kayak trailer or the 15’ Gregor aluminum boat.

This trip is just a relaxing time at the Coast (San Simeon) for 6 days. Walking, reading, talking, or no talking.

Left the snow at our home yesterday afternoon — drove 2/3’s of the way over to not have to come out in the fresh snow predicted for last night. Will cruise in this morning to camp. Rained half the night — nice to hear on the roof of the trailer.

Best, Fred
Old 03-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #10

My ‘07 x210 also has that sticker in the space beneath the refrigerator. It’s nowhere near the heater. There is a storage cabinet just above the heater and there’s no restriction as to what can be placed in it. I do keep a few things (Dirt Devil hand vac & accessories plus some waste plumbing fittings and toilet chemicals in the compartment under the fridge but nothing like food, utensils, cookware, etc. just in case the recommendation to not store stuff there has some validity ��.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #11

I have similar decals under my bed/dinette seats where the water tank is. I just assumed it was to prevent something potentially pulling out the exposed wiring.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #12

I have the same tag in under sink cabinet,and the bottom dawer under the stove。After reading all above suggestions,I dicede to use it carefully. Thanks!
Annika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #13

We have the exact same trailer. On our "To Do list " is that space. Hubby said he will put a thin sheet of alliminium or metal on the left hand side, upright, to protect the furnace, to avoid a possible spark /fire and then we can use that space.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:15 PM   #14

Just another idea for that space. When I did my roof top solar install I brought the wires down through the refrigerator cabinet from the roof-top vent above. At that time, I seriously considered screwing my charge controller to the wall in that cabinet. The door would have made it nicely accessible. In the end, I chose the wall in the under-bed pass through instead.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #15

I'm thinking
Temp in compartment
Ensuring proper airflow to equipment in vicinity
Protecting expensive equipment and fragile wires

And we tend to load these things(especially lightweight tt) with to much stuff anyhow.

DogsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote