Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Default radio reception

OK so the radios in 2010 xt-245 are junk. Is it the radio or the antenna? I found a new rubber ducky antenna replaced just that the old one was dry rotted and bent permanently. Still nothing and I am 10 miles from Pittsburgh. My portable radio picks up fine

I like radio when I camp. So I wonder what a good reasonably priced solution is? Is there a radio antenna amplifier or. Can you get a TV and radio antenna combination that I can raise & lower. There is currently one on but radio antenna is seperate.

I have read so much about antennas and such on here but some throw names which I don't have. Maybe I need a trip to an RV dealer and see what they suggest. No Cruiser RV dealers close. Hopefully I find 1 that will work with me if needed.

PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you checked to see that the radio antenna jack is actually plugged into the radio? It's possible that it may have worked it's way loose during travel over time. Or maybe the installer forgot to plug it in? The Jensen units that came as original equipment aren't the highest quality units, but usually the radios work reasonably well.

Surprisingly there aren't a lot of companies out there making units for Trailer/RV applications. One other brand I have come across is Concertone which claims to be high end, but I have no personal experience with it. Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) carries them and typically they have good quality stuff. Their customer service is pretty good too.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Thanks I had checked that a while ago. But worth another shot I suppose. Camper right beside me had many choices of stations when I had only 2
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Default well radio reception still stinks

I checked all connections. Same results camper 10 feet away gets a ton of stations I only get 1 or 2 if I am lucky.

Anyone have thoughts ideas or suggestions. I am headed back to my camper this weekend so I can dig into it if need be.

Thanks in advance. Is the Jensen they put in this Bad? I'm not convinced a new radio would even help or if it has to be a certain type of radio or any car radio would work.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

Default A possible solution?

Patty, in some of the more recent Fun Finders, there is a little toggle switch near where the TV cable plugs in. On our FF, that switch powers the antenna! It gave us much better reception. But be sure to turn it off when you turn off the radio -- it draws some electricity and will drain your battery eventually.

I hope this helps!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

Default thanks are you talking about the amplifier button

Only button I have is on the amplifier. I thought it was for TV movies. Don't really understand how it ties in yet.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Default Not a button --a toggle

The thing I am referring to is a little "stick" or toggle, about an inch long, not on the radio itself. It is below the radio, near where the TV cable would screw in. Mine is on the wall on the forward side of the fridge. If you flip the toggle one way, it says "air." The other way says "cable." And in the middle is the off position.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

Default Re: Not a button --a toggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
The thing I am referring to is a little "stick" or toggle, about an inch long, not on the radio itself. It is below the radio, near where the TV cable would screw in. Mine is on the wall on the forward side of the fridge. If you flip the toggle one way, it says "air." The other way says "cable." And in the middle is the off position.

Can You take a photo of this Switch ??
2000W GoPower Inverter
2x6V LifeLine Battery's
GoPower Solar Elite System
2x Honda 2000's w/ 30 AMP Plug
2x145w Polycrystalline Solar Panels
EAZ-LIFT Weight Dist. Hitch
MARLANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #9

Default Picture of switch

I have never posted a picture on this forum -- I hope I have the code right -- anyway, my finger is pointing to the switch -- it is in the off position, in the center. When pushed toward the "air" label, it boosts the antenna somewhat:

[/img]
Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #10

Default Picture is too small

Don't know how to post a bigger picture -- maybe the photo will give you some guidance about where this switch might be located -- note that the switch is on a plate with a TV cable hookup and also a 12 volt cigarette lighter style outlet, which I have never tried to use.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #11

Never thought about checking to see if the radio works but probably no need as I haven't turned on the radio in anything I own for years. But may install the faceplate and give it a try just for S&G.

Oh, and that little switch makes a difference for the TV as I found out.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #12

Default thanks for the picture

Picture helps I don't think mine has a toggle I will definitely look again.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #13

You could try customer support at http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/customer-service I found them very helpful with the problem I was having.

John
TV: 2015 Silverado 3500 HD
Duramax
thefarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
roy

The switch does help with radio reception as well as TV reception. We have used the radio alot and find it to be a low grade unit but good enough for right now. The speakers are not that good either. We stream internet music through our phones (iphone works great or a tablet) and really don't bother with trying to find a radio station. Those are a dying breed these days.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

Default dieing breed is about right

I find myself listening to Pandora more and more for this very reason. Don't feel I should be forced to it though. I have heard new radios don't much help either though. I just can't believe I am 10 miles from Pittsburgh and I can't pick up any radio stations real shame. Going to try button this weekend see what happens.