Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #1

Default RCA cables in TV

I recently purchased an XT-276 and the first time I tried to scan channels on the tv with the selector switch flipped to air and the booster on it loaded about 7 channels. However none of them would play or be very broken. After much fooling around I decided to try to move the tv from the middle room to another jack as I thought maybe there was a problem at that jack. As soon as I unplugged the RCA cables that come out of the wall it got perfect reception!!!!! Anyone know what these cables are for and where the other end of them are????? I saw them on pics on the net so they are factory installed?

greggustas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

You'll find that they are the picture and sound feeds from the Jensen stereo unit (most of the FFs came with Jensen units) for playing DVD movies. More than likely they were connected wrong from the back of the Jensen to the back of the television...that would degrade the over the air signal greatly.

If it is still under warranty, I'd have the dealer take it apart and verify the cable connections from the back of the Jensen to the back of the television. If it is out of warranty, you should have the Jensen manual and that will have (or should have) the wiring schematics in it...you'll have to pull the Jensen and make sure the cables are connected correctly to the Jensen and then verify the connections on the television.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

Ok webslave, thank you very much, I was easily able to get those cables in their correct order, I never noticed that the Jensen was also a DVD player. But since I have your attention maybe you know what the dead end coax cable is in the same cabinet as the amp? I'm a little confused on that one! Again thank you believe it or not, I called cruiser rv on on the RCA cables and they didn't know what I was talking about, never the less all is well in tv land now!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

Need a little more info on the dead end cable...

What type of cable is it? Co-ax like the antenna cable or another RCA type? If it is dead end, what is the other end connected to, or can you tell?

Don
Bronwyn

Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

It is coax cable like the tv cable wire and it has an end crimped on it like the type that screws into the wall jack. There's about 2 feet of it coiled up by the amp and it heads out the wall towards the slide. I'm wondering if its porpoise is for the radio antenna and was never hooked up or maybe disconnected? I bought the rig used so I'm not sure what the original owner may have done?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #6

Sounds to me like it may be a satellite connection. On most RVs, the cable/OTA connections are not conducive to satellite receiver use...has to do with the satellite dish being able to get the feedhorn power back out of the cable (from the receiver) through the in-wall amplifier connections (to the dish). Most people just run a separate cable from the inside to another connection outside (for a "straight wire feed") to hook the satellite dish to the satellite receiver as the simpler, fool proof method. Sounds to me like that is what you might have...is there a corresponding "second" outside connector on the slide exterior? If not, they may have put a "T" type splitter behind the existing exterior connection that bypasses the amplifier plate for satellite use and used that cable to connect to the satellite receiver box.

The antenna lead for the radio uses a standard automotive antenna plug, most at any rate (a very few will use the common "T" style stereo antenna)... It looks like an RCA plug on steroids and wouldn't exit the wall; it would be internal and terminate in the cabinet behind the Jensen.

Don
Bronwyn