Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #1

Default Re mounting a medicine cabinet

In July we picked up our new 2012 FF X189 FBS. On the way back from the dealership in Michigan to our home in California (made a nice traveling vacation out of it) the medicine cabinet fell off the wall. (see link to 2 photos)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1024114...52684109384274

I am trying to figure a way to re-secure it to the wall so this does not happen again and would like your advice.

The cabinet was attached to the exterior wall. I think that means the aluminum frame is sandwiched between the fiberglass gel-coat exterior sheet and the 1/8" luan interior ply with foam sheet insulation between. As you can see from the photos (sorry, I did not realize they were sideways) this rather heavy (10.2 lbs.) , solid wood frame mirrored cabinet was only attached with 4 wood screws which projected about 1" into the wall. I cannot see any evidence of an aluminum frame member near any one of the four holes so I assume the cabinet was attached only to the 1/8" luan ply. This is unacceptable, of course. What ideas do you have? FYI: it fell off empty and no, I don't want to drive 50 miles to the nearest FF dealer. Any one ever found Cruiser RV architectural plans which detail the exact location of a given trailer's aluminum frame members??

And like everyone else on this forum, I hope someone with the power to make changes at Cruiser RV reads these posts.

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow, sure sounds like someone missed the studs on the install.

You might try contacting Cruiser directly and asking for the plans. I think Don (Webslave) was able to get them for his X210. It might also be worth letting them know this happened, who knows they might let you take it somewhere local for fix. A longshot probably but who knows. At the very least you will have documented the problem.

If all else fails I can think of 2 options: 1) you can try the old fashioned tapping on the wall til you can hear where the stud is; or 2) drill test holes with small drill bit behind where the cabinet will mount til you find the studs. You can fill the 'misses' with putty and once you mount the cabinet you won't be able to see them.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

LJAZ is correct... I was able to get the framing details for my '08 X210 WBS model. I couldn't get any other plans (I also wanted the wiring and plumbing layouts, but, they wouldn't release them. They, and most other manufacturers, don't want to release those due to inaccuracies; apparently those plans are "guides" only and aren't strictly adhered to...) You can give them a call and ask; they emailed them to me in pdf files.

Another "option" is to use one of the newer "sonar" stud finders. I have one that I use for home remodeling and it uses a "sonar" type finder to locate almost any density difference behind walls - studs, pipes, cables, voids, etc. I've used it on my new 5er (Keystone won't send me any plans at all) to locate some of the aluminum framing on it...I'm going to make my own map

As for "holding power", in case you can't find a stud or two... At most big box home stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc.) you can find hollow wall threaded anchors. These are usually a white/off-white thermo plastic with large threads (> 3/16") around a conical base. Virtually impossible to pull out, even in something as thin as the luan inside walls. A dab of 6000 sealant when you screw it into the luan and it becomes part of the wall. Unless you load your cabinet with 50 lbs of stuff, those should hold it up for the life of your trailer.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

hollow wall anchors were used to mount a TP holder.