Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
roy

Default Rear LED tailight, few LEDs are out

What's the fix on this? I don't see how to access the light housings.

So much for the Cruiser claim to fame 'long lasting LED lighting'.

Two years old and tailights are almost completely out.

Btw its a XT276.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
roy

Contacted Cruiser, lights were provided to them by Command Electronics. $20 lights, figures. Claim to last 100,000 hours. Cut that divided by 6-8 would be a more accurate life span.

Waiting on a person from Command to contact me back as to which lights I currently have. They have two that are similar to mine. I also contacted the dealer and it went straight to parts dept voicemail, figures they seem to never be able to help when I have a problem.

WERA Expert #826
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Hmmm. LED's are usually pretty bulletproof and a 10,000 hour life span is pretty typical. Even the cheap ones. Is there anything that could have led to early failure? While LED's are usually pretty tolerant of a range of voltages, but heat can cause them to fail.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
Hmmm. LED's are usually pretty bulletproof and a 10,000 hour life span is pretty typical. Even the cheap ones. Is there anything that could have led to early failure? While LED's are usually pretty tolerant of a range of voltages, but heat can cause them to fail.
Not real sure no heat exposure as the camper is in the shade 90% of the time. All other LED marker lights are working fine. Voltage issues a possibility with this thing. It's had all sorts of issues so far. The wiring looks like a 10 year old did it. I just find it odd both rear tail lights are out about the same time and same number of LEDs out on each. I am no electrical guru. I know enough about it to be dangerous that's about it. Currently the front room LP/CO2 alarm is whacked out too. I disconnected trip before last because it kept going off at midnight every night. Absolutely no reason for it. No LP even on.

I just think its shoddy workmanship through and through.

WERA Expert #826
Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Default Same issue

Hey Roy , same issue I got mine was a little over a year old and they started to go out a few at a time . I couldn't believe it , they should last for years !!!! So I fixed myself as I do with all the crap on this trailer , since the factory can't do a good job at anything , no pride workmanship at all . So went to walmart and got some 25 a side and replaced the rubber around it and new light so far so go . And I kept the receipt so if they go out again I can take them back , better warranty then fun finder!!!! Lol
securityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
roy

Cruiser used the economy light from command electronics. I confirmed that today. Its commands 10 led unit. They couldn't even put them in right side up. Clearly says TOP on the lense and both are at the bottom on mine. Again shoddy workmanship from cruiser. Can't even read at the place. I will order the same ones again since I know they will fit. They cost a whopping $16.95 each plus shipping.

WERA Expert #826
Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

Sounds good Roy , let me know how it goes and if they last any longer then the ones that came with it , thanks mike
securityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Mounted upside down?? Nice. That could be the problem. My unit is older so I don't have the LED fixtures, but most lighting has some sort of drain/vent hole in the bottom so condensation can drain out. I'm not sure if the LED fixtures do, but if so and mounted upside down it could have allowed water in which could cause the problem.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
roy

Ordered the replacement lights this morning from Command a Electronics. $42.90 shipped. I took the bad ones out to see what was involved. Not much just pry out the light from the rubber gromet. Looks like a standard plug and play situation. Cruiser did leave enough excess wire so nothing is to tight to work with. They just pop back in the rubber gromet. I really do not see how water is kept out with just the gromet seal but I couldn't see evidence of water getting in so I guess the rubber gromet is good enough. I will be sure to reinstall the lights right side up which clearly says 'top' on the lenses.

WERA Expert #826
Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
roy

Quick shipping from Command Electronics even though they scammed me $3 bucks on the USPS shipping rate.

Lights look to be the exact replacement and plug and play no wiring required. Camper is covered up right now and I won't bother doing the install until late Jan when I have scheduled race weekend at Nola Motorsports Park.

WERA Expert #826
Old 12-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #11

Default LED tail lights

Frankly, I am amazed there are not more people with this same problem. My 2012 189 FBS has the LED tail lights. Although I have not yet had a problem with them, I anticipate very short life, even here in no-rain Southern California. Prevention of water seeping into the LED circuit board is dependent only on gravity. These units have approximately 7" of U-shaped overlapping plastic seams between the red lens cap and the black plastic base which are not sealed. From following vehicles and trailers in pouring rain, we are all familiar with the whirlwind of water at the rear of a TT. What the Command company designers were thinking is lost on me.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
roy

I guess mine were the first to go because most of our travels to and from destinations is at night. I typically don't run lights during the daylight hours. My truck is equipped with daytime running lights up front from the factory. Still less than two years on lights is ridiculous for a failure. But being both were installed upside down I guess that played a part in failing also. I also noticed one of the light housings is cracked so cruiser ham fisted them in anyway.

To cold to install right now plus it's covered up.

WERA Expert #826
Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #13

Roy- I looked at a picture of the rear of your model. I think the LED tail lights you have are a different design than mine, although, the same manufacturer. Nevertheless, no excuse for such poor quality.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #14

Roy how did you get the light out of the body of the trailer? I noticed my right side flickers. I didn't see anyway to reach it from inside or outside without removing the rubber seal.
redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan
Roy how did you get the light out of the body of the trailer? I noticed my right side flickers. I didn't see anyway to reach it from inside or outside without removing the rubber seal.
Just pry the plastic light body out of the rubber boot it sits in. Spray some soapy water around it and it'll come right out. The plug connector is easy after that.

WERA Expert #826
Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
Ordered the replacement lights this morning from Command a Electronics. $42.90 shipped. I took the bad ones out to see what was involved. Not much just pry out the light from the rubber gromet. Looks like a standard plug and play situation. Cruiser did leave enough excess wire so nothing is to tight to work with. They just pop back in the rubber gromet. I really do not see how water is kept out with just the gromet seal but I couldn't see evidence of water getting in so I guess the rubber gromet is good enough. I will be sure to reinstall the lights right side up which clearly says 'top' on the lenses.

Your comments prompted me to take a close look at the tail/stop led lights on my 2012 XT276.

As you stated the lens are marked 'top' and if that is to indicate 'up' when installed, well the 'top' is on the bottom like yours were.

When you replaced yours, did you see a weep (moisture drain) hole on either light? Or any visible indication of why they should be installed with the end marked 'top' up?

If no visible reason it could be only for the way the lens are designed to better reflect the light from the lens....and nothing to do with water getting in to the leds or whatever else.

I check mine for function (tail light and brake light) every time I hookup for travel and to date, they function as designed with no non-functional leds.

However, appreciate the heads on replacement info if ever needed.

Happy travels.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
roy

Eagle mine were both in upside down and there is a drain hole on the bottom not the top. I installed the new ones right side up. Both have been working just fine so far. Real easy install and do far the easiest job I've done on the thing.

WERA Expert #826
Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #18

Thanks roy. Although I haven't had any problem with mine, I will pop them out of the rubber gasket and turn them around so the lens marked 'top' is on up side and the weep hole is on the bottom.

That may save ever having to replace them.

Well, today I had some time so went out and pulled the one out, inspected it and guess what? No weep hole on either end so I just slipped it back in the way it was. Project completed.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #19

I know this is an old post, but some of the leds in my tail lights on my 2014 XT-276 have gone out. Does anyone know the part number for these from Command Electronics?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigosh View Post
I know this is an old post, but some of the leds in my tail lights on my 2014 XT-276 have gone out. Does anyone know the part number for these from Command Electronics?
http://www.commandelectronics.com/sh...ed-tail-lights

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote