Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Default Red light ON in fuse box?

2006 FF t160X...Still going over my rig (2nd week of ownership), with no owners manual. Anyway, yesterday I opened the power station access door - row of fuses visible. Third one fm top, the RED light was glowing. Pulled 15A fuse n looked OK. The previous owner had TV written where what fuse runs what task. I then checked the plug in the cubby (rear of unit by top bunk bed), it was/is hot. I'm confused! I noticed in that cubby next to the double plug, another switch plate, large hole like for a 12V cig. charger, two push buttons and small red light. Push one button n red light comes on, push other n red light goes out.....might be an AC/DC converter?? All that being said, why do u think the red light is on next to fuse on the panel?

xbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #2

I'd have to double check, but IIRC when I remove a fuse, the red light comes on to indicate the fuse is blown.

Did you try a new fuse as the labeling may be incorrect?

The plate with the double plug, large hole for 12V charger unit and two push buttons and small red light .. the push button activates the TV amplifier so indicated when on the little red light beside it comes on..........in my unit.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbassman View Post
2006 FF t160X...Still going over my rig (2nd week of ownership), with no owners manual. Anyway, yesterday I opened the power station access door - row of fuses visible. Third one fm top, the RED light was glowing. Pulled 15A fuse n looked OK. The previous owner had TV written where what fuse runs what task. I then checked the plug in the cubby (rear of unit by top bunk bed), it was/is hot. I'm confused! I noticed in that cubby next to the double plug, another switch plate, large hole like for a 12V cig. charger, two push buttons and small red light. Push one button n red light comes on, push other n red light goes out.....might be an AC/DC converter?? All that being said, why do u think the red light is on next to fuse on the panel?

Response sent to your PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #4

Actually, this is the propane/co2 detectors I have in my unit.

There is one by the kitchen sink and one in the garage area, both on inside walls.

https://www.carid.com/mti-industry/c...gleid=59561709

My camper is a 2012 and I replaced them both recently as from what I understand, they should be replaced ever 5 years.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Re: lack of an owners manual. Our 2008 189fbr had very sorry excuse for an owners manual. Very little information. The previous owner did save the individual manuals for the appliances. We passed them on when we sold it, of course.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #6

Default red light revisited

Fuse in question powers TV amp n think radio....but...even with red light on next to fuse the radio plays n plug that turns TV amp on n off works.....wow!! As long as it is not a hazard I will just let it go! Semper Peratus
Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

It would appear to me, someone has done some re-wiring for some reason.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #8

After more investigation the red light in question is the 4th one down from the top with a 15A fuse. Have replaced with new one but red light still on. Previous owner has written "Kitchen" on the what fuse does what pape next to the fuses. Light above sink works, plug in kitchen works, exhaust fan runs, microwave works.....I am stumped! Cannot find anything that is not operating correctly.......except bathroom exhaust fan which I am fixing.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #9

First off, the series of fuses with associated lights only apply to the 12 volt
DC system, therefore no AC outlets will be effected. If you disconnect the DC wire coming from the fuse box terminial assigned to the red light, does the light stay on? If it does, I would say that there is a problem with the logic that controls the light. If it goes out, perhaps there is a wiring issue somewhere in the trailer.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

I don't claim to be an electrician but your comment that fuses control 12v operations hit a nerve....in a good way. The two 12v lights on the forward wall, one on each side of the front window don't work even with new bulbs....could this be my red light problem? A side note.....I removed the 12v battery, plans r to be a new one soon. Was told I needed the battery to operate the beak away switch?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't claim to be an electrician but your comment that fuses control 12v operations hit a nerve....in a good way. The two 12v lights on the forward wall, one on each side of the front window don't work even with new bulbs....could this be my red light problem?
Most likely the fuses are miss labeled. One way to find out is to pull each fuse and see what does not work and remap the results on the fuse box.

Quote:
A side note.....I removed the 12v battery, plans r to be a new one soon. Was told I needed the battery to operate the beak away switch?
Yes, a battery is needed to operate the brake away switch. Also, the main power switch, if you have one needs to be on in order to operate the brake away switch.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #12

Problem "solved"..... It was a wiring issue with the two 12v lights by dining table. As usual I over thought the problem. Thanks to all u level-headed friends!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #13

Yes, the battery is required to operate the break away switch should and once the tv to trailer power cord is disconnected.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #14

SUPER
Another happy ending to an issue!