Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Default Refer turning yellow

Hi everyone,
Hope someone can help me. I have searched everywhere for an answer. We own a 2009 Fun Funder x210. We have used it about four times since we purchase it two years ago. This year I noticed that the refrigerator is turning yellow inside. Pulled out all the bins to wash with bleach trying to remove yellowing. Nothing works. Can someone tell me why this is happening. Could it be the heat? We live in Florida and camper is in our side yard. Can it be painted. Its clean it just looks terrible! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Took photos but don't know how to include them in this post.

birdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #2

Usually plastic without UV inhibitors will turn yellow when exposed to sunlight. Our shower enclosure and a lot of the outside trim turned yellow from the sun. Our fridge is still white since it never get's sun. I'm not sure why yours turned yellow, it could be the heat. Did you maybe leave the doors open when not in use? I've had good success painting plastic with Krylon plastic paint. I've painted all the exterior plastic trim and it's held up for about 4 years now. I haven't done the shower since the material flexes a lot so I'm not sure how well it would hold up. If you decide to paint the inside of the fridge make sure to clean it very well with alcohol. Rubbing alcohol works well and won't damage the plastic. I would also paint a small area first, maybe at the bottom under the drawers and test it this summer to see how it holds up. If good then paint the rest.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Here's something I found with a Google search. I have NO idea if it's relevant to your situation.

After your refrigerator starts leaking, it will eventually (usually very soon) stop cooling. The worst thing you could do at this point is to delay getting your refrigerator repaired because corrosive ammonia is eating away at the cooling unit steel (ammonia doesn't corrode the steel while it's inside the cooling unit because of the rust inhibitor inside). The longer you delay getting your refrigerator's cooling unit rebuilt, the lower the odds are of a successful and reliable repair. Also the ammonia gas will eat up the inside of the cabinet and the parts. The light and thermostat will need to be replaced if left too long and the inside plastic will turn yellow. You can see why removing all rust from the cooling unit by sand blasting and rust proofing the cooling unit are essential steps in a proper cooling unit repair. Just as with your car, if you don't remove the rust, it'll just come back and, after another season or two of use, the cooling unit will fail again.

Here's the full article:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/for...p?topic=6402.0
Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #4

Wow, good find, that might explain the yellowing.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote