Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2022, 11:17 AM   #1

Default Reminder to greased wheel hubs

Just a reminder that you should re-grease your trailer's wheel hubs annually or at the manufacturer recommended mileage interval. I do mine annually with Red n Tacky. Pretty easy if you have easy lub hubs. Just jack up one wheel at a time, connect grease gun to the center zert and spin tire as you pump in grease. Pretty messy but it beats repacking bearings.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Just a reminder that you should re-grease your trailer's wheel hubs annually or at the manufacturer recommended mileage interval. I do mine annually with Red n Tacky. Pretty easy if you have easy lub hubs. Just jack up one wheel at a time, connect grease gun to the center zert and spin tire as you pump in grease. Pretty messy but it beats repacking bearings.
All is good till the rear seal breaks then you have a fire on one of your wheels like I did. If you use that method you better make sure the old grease is coming out or I would pull the wheel off and check the bearings. (all fun and games around the camp fire till someone burns his Weiner )

Old 05-14-2023, 02:53 PM   #3

Changing all four brakes this spring and that's why I have also purchased four new grease seals. Have been told an time you remove the drum, replace the grease seal.
whatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:55 PM   #4

I am with Saltynuts on this one. I know there are plenty of conscientious trailer owners out there who depend on the E-Z Lube zerks, but even though I have Dexter E-Z Lube, I never use it. Remove the drums, bearings and seals, inspect bearings and brakes and solvent-clean the bearings. Replace the seals every time and hand repack the bearings. Sorry to be so dogmatic, but you only once have to see the mess around the brakes inside the drum after using E-Z Lube with weak or failed seals. As Profdant139 always says, "Don't ask me how I know....
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:08 PM   #5

Bearings are cheap and if you do the work yourself you will know its done right.