Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

Default Replaced the Jensen TV antenna and updated my TV

The Jensen TV antenna that came on my XT-276 would hardly pick up any stations to view and most often would not pick up any stations.

I replaced it with a Jack Digital HDTV Antenna System from Camping World for about $125 w/shipping and couldn't be more pleased with the investment.

With the Jensen antenna, I couldn't get a single station to come in at home in my driveway. Once the Jack Digital was installed, it locked into over 25 stations.

Of course, the wife was so impressed she wanted a bigger TV so off we go to the store. The little TV that came with the camper went into the back garage area and the new 39" 1080 digital slim TV took it's place. It just fits under the cabinet doors when on the shelf. I haven't decided to mount it firmly or take it down and lay it on the bed when traveling. But let me tell you, it's wonderful to have a nice size TV when camping.

We have used the antenna when out and get great reception ~ far, far superior to the factory Jensen antenna. Also when on cable in some campgrounds, the picture is AWESOME!

Installing the Jack antenna took me and my son about 1.5 hours. He is a wiz at electronics stuff so did the hookups. The instructions that came with the antenna aren't that great so having my son to help was a big plus.

I'm pleased, Mama is happy too ~~~ and we know, if Mama isn't happy, nobody is happy.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

Glad to hear you like your new Jack OTA antenna... When I got my new 5er, the very first "goodie" I added was the Jack. I'd put one on my 210WBS and it worked wonders for the television reception; many new channels in places that I'd been previously with the Sensar that the 210WBS came with (stock in '0.

Height is part of the reason your reception is so much better (aside from the better signal gathering and amplification of the Jack IMO). If your Jensen was like the one that came on my buddy's trailer, it was a low mount style (not a crank up) and that put the antenna right in all the "clutter" of the stuff on the roof (A/C, vent hoods, refrigerator hood, etc.). Height and clutter are key elements of reception and to make matters worse (for him at any rate) his was within a foot of the A/C unit; nothing like spinning electrics to scramble a signal. I put a crank up Jack on his and it was night and day. The antenna was well above the clutter and I got it almost 4' from the A/C and much higher.

A very worthwhile mod for him and apparently for you, too! Enjoy your new widescreen and the additional channels. Great way to unwind at night, kill a rainy day and to keep tabs on the weather systems headed your way.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Just returned for a week over in northern Minnesota, around the Duluth/Lake Superior area including over into Wisconsin.

It's a beautiful area and I'd urge anyone to check it out if in the area. Lots of trees/lakes and things to see. Visited the Glensheen Mansion in Duluth, some Lighthouses, super restaurants, etc. too.

The TV was GREAT and the antenna picked up lots of stations. The cable in the campground was great too.

It was a wonderful week and everything in the XT276 functioned perfectly as did the Dodge tow vehicle. Fuel mileage varied between a low of 8 and a high of 13.5 so no complaints.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #4

Just returned from dry camping at a campground near Sturgis SD. During the motorcycle rally most campgrounds with full hookups get about $100 a night and some won't rent a site unless you pay for a full week even if only there for a day or two.......and the charge is $1,000 to $1,200 for the week. They really gouge during bike week and that includes the hotels/motels if you can even find a room.

Anyway the Jack antenna worked swell and picked up 13 digital stations and 2 analog stations in the Black Hills area.

Great antenna with super reception.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #5

Hey eagle , glad you had a great trip and everything worked for you . I am heading out tomorrow to go camping and 4 wheeling for the weekend. Sounds like a project I need to do , I only get a few stations also , how was the install , do you have to take the one down off the roof or cut any holes to mount the new one or is it a direct replacement ?? Thanks for the input
Old 08-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #6

Yes, you have to remove the factory installed Jensen antenna. It is held in place with several short screws and lots of butyl caulk. The hole thru the roof had to be enlarged some for the Jack antenna. Best to have a new tube of butyl caulk and a 12"x12" of roof membrane to glue over the work area (I did this to assure there would be no water leakage)

The TV cable connection is just below the Jensen antenna so easy to attach to the Jack antenna.

In my instance, the 12 volt receptical provided the power for the Jack antenna so no longer have the 12 volt port by the TV as it came from the factory.

My son did the interior wiring ~ removed the factory TV cable jack/12 volt receptical and installed the TV jack in a plate that comes with the Jack antenna...making the cable connections and 12 volt connection.

The reason we had to enlarge the hole in the roof was so the inside rotation handle assembly with the strength led lights would fit inside the cabinet directly below the factory mounted and now Jack antenna.

Hope this makes sense.