Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #1

Default Replacement water tank

I have a 2011 FUn finder x210 that I need a new water tank for. The current 36 gallon tank is made by Performance plastics Parr No. FW-473. And there’s also a sticker on it that says cruiser #473002. The dimensions of the tank are so unusual that it’s been difficult to find a new one (59x36x4.5). I’m having the most issues with finding a tank with that height (4.5 inches). Any ideas??

Vetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

Is it possible to mend your tank due to a crack or a hole?

Typical plastic glue will NOT work due to the type of plastic HDPE they are made of, same material that plastic milk jugs are made of.

This may ?? be your answer provided it can be repaired:

https://mrstickys.com/mr-stickys-poly-bonder-glue-30g/

Most RV mfgrs order a finite number of fresh water tanks for whatever model they are producing and that is it so locating an identical size fresh water tank is near impossible from what I've discovered.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #3

JB Weld also works for tank leaks -- I had a black tank leak several years ago, and JB did the trick. Wear disposable gloves -- don't ask how I know this.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #4

JB weld products will NOT work on a fresh water tank that is made of HDPE.

I found this on the JB Weld website and the last sentence says it won't work on HDPE which is what fresh water tanks are made of. The black and grey water tanks are black in color and probably made of ABS plastic or similar - not HDPE.

What is JB Weld used for?
J-B Weld is best for metal, but it works on other materials too including wood, brick, concrete, and fiberglass.

It won’t work well on plastic, leather, rubber, vinyl or any other flexible and/or oily surfaces.

J-B Weld is good for:
Wood
Concrete
Brass
Iron
Brick
PVC Plastic

Stone
Aluminium
Fiberglass
Ceramic
Copper
Plus most other metals
It’s not great for:
Polyethylene and Polypropylene Plastics
Flexible materials like leather or rubber

FAQs

Is JB Weld suitable for Plastic?
JB Weld can bond some hard plastics like PVC and solid polystyrene (Not polystyrene foam), but it can’t bond any flexible materials, or any oily plastics like HDPE/LDPE (Polyethylene) or Polypropylene.

Just FYI.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #5

Eagle, thanks for clearing that up -- it makes sense that what works on a black water tank might not work on a fresh water tank made of a different material.

Good catch!
Old 04-28-2021, 12:52 PM   #6

No problem profdant139.

Repairing fresh water RV tanks that are made of HDPE plastic is difficult and takes a special procedure far from just simply gluing. Every instance I've read about requires sanding and application of heat for proper bonding.

And - finding a exact replacement tank for an camper IS near impossible. The threaded inlet and outlet bosses are molded when the tank is made and the sensors are "spun in" under pressure/heat for a sealed install. Some searching in the net will reveal the difficulties in HDPE repairs. And if one wants to 'practice' a plastic gallon milk jug that is made of HDPE is a good 'practice sample' to use.

Been there ...
Old 05-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #7

Try PELLANDENT.COM, Pelland Enterprises. I found a tank on their website that matches the one on my shadow cruiser 189. I tried welding my tank with HDPE which didn't hold due to the crack being near the top of the tank at the flange that the tank hangs from. It cracked again due to the weight of the filled tank. I haven't yet ordered a new tank but they say on their website that they will put specified fittings where you want them on the tank.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

Default Got a new tank

Thanks everyone. I decided to put in a new and alittle bit bigger water tank that worked perfectly. I went with the 50 Gallon RV Water Tank 60" x 36" x 5 3/4" Elkhart Plastics EPI 04893 from Rec pro and made it work. Definitely feel better having a new tank in here.
Vetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #9

You realize by adding 14 gallons to the total volume and water weights 8.3 pounds per gallon - you have added about 116 pounds of weight to your unit when the tank is filled.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #10

I’m curious as to just where a 60”x36”x5 3/4” water tank is actually located on your x210? My 2007 x210 (no push out) has its 25 gallon tank under the lift up panel at the foot end of the Queen bed. I believe that there was a 36 gallon option for that model and year and the space under the be could accommodate it but there’s no way a 50 gallon tank would fit anywhere in my x210!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:40 AM   #11

I have found a product that will repair an RV fresh water tank made of high density polyethelene or HDPE. This is the same product plastic milk jugs are made of.

The product is MMA500 and it's sold by GlueGun.com
Very little prep work is needed and this stuff WORKS!! I have used it and highly recommend it. It saved me from looking for and buying a new RV fresh water tank for my toy hauler.

https://www.gluegun.com/collections/...40145761796249
Old 01-04-2024, 02:29 AM   #12

Well done, Eagle! That is very helpful.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:04 AM   #13

I should add that the smallest amount sold was more than enough to repair and seal the crack in my fresh water tank.
Also - one opened, it only has a 'shelf life' of about 6 months so sugguet one NOT purchase more than needed initially.