Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #1

Default Replacing power supply ... again!

Hi all,

I'm going to have to replace my power supply again. The first one lasted 7 years this one lasted five years. It's only putting out about 10 volts.

Any suggestions? On Amazon someone said the wfco brand is better than The Parallax that came with the Fun Finder and that I have already replaced once. It's cheaper too so it could be a win-win.

Wfco brand is what is in the Grand Design that we have. It seems to work all right but it's a very small unit and it runs the fan all the time. The one I will be getting for the Fun Finder is a larger style and should be cooler I hope.

Liz

Old 05-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #2

Refrigerator wasn't really working without the power supply, I just had to buy that one so nevermind

Old 05-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
APD

Question

Liz did you have to buy a power supply and a refrigerator? I be corn-fused....

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
Liz did you have to buy a power supply and a refrigerator? I be corn-fused....

Alan
The RV refrigerator requires 12 volt to run. Even if it's plugged into Shore power. So in order to have a refrigerator I've got to get the power supply working. Right now it's only putting out 10 volts which is not enough to keep the battery charged. I'm putting a trickle charger on the battery which will keep it topped off enough to run the refrigerator until the new power supply comes in.

I learned all this the first time the power supply went completely out - which was at spring training in Arizona where it was hot - then I ended up with no refrigerator and no air conditioner because I don't know why -- i think that the AC should not have been really affected but it was. I even opened up the back of the refrigerator compartment and plugged it straight into an extension cord and it will not run without 12-volt DC I think to ignite the burner for the ammonia. Amazing eh?

Liz
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
Site Team

I doubt your trailer came with a Parallax converter, it was probably a WFCO that was replaced by a prior owner. WFCO doesn't have a reputation for quality or reliability. They are cheap though which is why they are the brand most trailer manufacturers install as original equipment. I replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics unit that drops right into the WFCO housing - plug and play. I got it from Best Converter: BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics
Give them a call they are really helpful and will give you advice on troubleshooting and recommendations on replacements/upgrades. I would stay as far away from WFCO as possible,
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I doubt your trailer came with a Parallax converter, it was probably a WFCO that was replaced by a prior owner. WFCO doesn't have a reputation for quality or reliability. They are cheap though which is why they are the brand most trailer manufacturers install as original equipment. I replaced mine with a Progressive Dynamics unit that drops right into the WFCO housing - plug and play. I got it from Best Converter: BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics
Give them a call they are really helpful and will give you advice on troubleshooting and recommendations on replacements/upgrades. I would stay as far away from WFCO as possible,
Name:  FF_Converter.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  16.7 KB

Thank you for that link. I will look into it. Possibly I can refuse delivery on the one I ordered. However, my trailer came with a Parallax converter - I am the original owner, I bought it brand new and here is a pic - so there!!

Liz
Old 05-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Site Team

Hmm, that's unusual. My trailer is 2009 and came with a WFCO that lasted about 5 years. Maybe a cost savings over the earlier models.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Hmm, that's unusual. My trailer is 2009 and came with a WFCO that lasted about 5 years. Maybe a cost savings over the earlier models.
Yes, most likely cost saving :/ My trailer has solid oak faced plywood on the cabinets (I know because I drilled a bunch of big holes in the bathroom one). No chipboard at all that I have found, except the dinette side panels.

I've looked at the newer fun finders and wasn't impressed. Lots of wasted space and they look just like every other trailer out there. And they're BIG ... they don't make any like what we got in the 2000's. Ah well, that seems to be what happens. Businesses come up with a unique plan for something, it goes over well, and they slowly morph into being just like all the other models that they were rebelling against when they started LOL

Liz
Old 05-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #9

I don't log on to the Funfinder website very often, just when I get another email about another Newsletter. So forgive the late reply, because this one with your post just made it to my mailbox.

If you still have the failing converter, I may be able to help. Do you? I have repaired mine (same model and same trailer years) with only a few very inexpensive electronic components and would be happy to assist with yours. Let me know.
H2814D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #10

Default Perhaps a little different perspective...

Our 2016 FunFinder came with a WF-8955PEC which is described as a 13.6VDC, 55Amp Power Converter with distribution Panel. To me WFCO has some pluses and minuses. The DC distribution terminal block seems clever the way it displays a blown fuse) and the AC distribution panel (including circuit breakers) seems adequate. On the other side of the ledger it doesn't seem to do a very good job of actually charging the deep cycle batteries and won't even accept lithium storage batteries. The longevity and reliability of the WFCO Converters seems less than ideal. If and when our Power Supply in the WF-8955PEC dies I will probably give serious consideration to purchasing a 12VDC Power Supply at ~50Amps (or more) from a reputable US manufacturer (like Power-One) and connect the output from the new supply to drive the old DC terminal block (in essence just replacing the Main Board Assembly that failed on the WFCO). The WFCO is very modular in its construction which enables the power supply function to be replaced separately. I would bet this would be much cheaper and more reliable than replacing the entire WFCO unit. I am guessing $100-150 would get me a computer grade Power Supply.
Jimbo
Old 05-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #11

Just to ask as mine is still okay, are the parts which tend to fail the switching bipolar or MOSFET transistors? Or do other parts seem to fail first? I was an engineer during my career but now enjoy retirement!
Thanks!

Tags
electrical, issues, power suply