Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #1

Default Replacing suspension bushings

We have a FunFinder 189 with Dual axles. This project started because I noticed my rear axle tires had worn down to the wear bars, but my front tires still looked good, 50% tread remaining. Our tires probably have 6k miles on them. I noticed some of the shackles were worn, see attached picture. I bought this kit on amazon that has new shackles, bushings, and wet pins with Zerk fittings. Our trailer has always squeeked down the road, and I imagine it's because these dry pins are seized in place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is the kit I bought
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5544.jpg   IMG_5689.jpg  

etischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:33 PM   #2

The shackles in the kit are easily twice the thickness of the stock ones. The pins are pressed in place, so you don't have to worry about aligning the hole where the grease to come out. The grease comes out the side of the pin where there is no tension or compression which may interfere with pumping the grease in the bushing. Most of the bushings were worn though, and was easy to tap them out. I used the old shoulder bolt as punch, the shoulder is just the right edge to push the bushing without hitting anything else. Some of the bushings were too tight to punch out, so I used a dremel with an end mill to cut a groove in the brass bushing. Then it was easy to tap the bushing out. The new bushings fit perfectly snug in equalizer, but they are slightly loose in the leaf springs. Once everything is bolted up tight, there's virtually no slack.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5663.jpg   IMG_5671.jpg   IMG_5685.jpg   IMG_5686.jpg   IMG_5687.jpg  

Old 11-17-2021, 09:48 PM   #3

You can see some of these brass bushings are completely worn though. I imagine this will make the trailer tow smoother, and quieter. I've only done one side so far, but I imagine the other side will be the same. I have the trailer on jack stands, the axles are at full droop, and the bushings were pretty easy to install without needing a jack to support the weight of the axles. When removing the old pins, you just need to impact the nut off, it will be impossible to turn the bolt because it is pressed into the shackle like a Pem-nut. I had to pound out the center pin that connects the equalizer to the frame with a hammer, it also wont turn. The new center pin pressed itself in when I impacted the nut on. Im planning on pumping Lucas sticky red grease in the bushings, the same stuff I use for wheel bearings.

Overall, this job was easier than I expected. The brass bushings were easy to slice, most of them already had a worn slot which made them easy to tap out. Excited to get this on the road and see how much quieter it will be. Definitely check your bushings, mine had a ton of slop in them, and I imagine that's what caused my rear tires to wear so quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5672.jpg   IMG_5690.jpg   IMG_5691.jpg   IMG_5688.jpg   IMG_5692.jpg  

Old 11-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #4

The brass bushings are 11/16" OD, this makes for a snug fit in the equalizer, but the leaf spring eyes are a bit loose. I haven't found any bushings that would be a better fit, so 11/16" is probably the closest size. The old nylon bushings in the leaf spring eyes were snug, but probably because they got deformed that way.

On a side note, I found my intermittent short in trailer brake wiring. The wire was too long, and rubbed on the hub. I moved the wire clamps that were on the brake shoe around to prevent this on the other wheels.

I added a screenshot of the kit for reference, since the amazon listing may not be around forever.

>>

The constant wear and tear from rough roads and heavy loads can cause standard shackles to simply wear out. The heavy duty shackle kit is an excellent upgrade for your running gear and the answer for wear and tear. MORryde UO12-016 Heavy Duty Shackle Upgrade Kit fits CRE3000, Stock, and Equaflex 2.25" shackles. Tandem Axle.

Manufacturer ‎Morryde Brand ‎MORryde Model ‎0213.3006 Item Weight ‎10.5 pounds Country of Origin ‎China Item model number ‎UO12-016 Is Discontinued By Manufacturer ‎No Manufacturer Part Number ‎0213.3006 OEM Part Number ‎UO12-016
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5650.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.53.35 PM.jpg  
Old 11-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #5

Well done, and great write-up!! Thanks for posting this.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
M&M

We tried to grease the suspension often to reduce wear. However, some of the zerks often resisted taking grease. Then, I jacked up the camper, and was very surprised at how much wear the bushings had. I replaced them with a Lippert "Never Fail Suspension Upgrade Kit" which included everything I needed and does not require greasing. The kit cost $86 at the time I purchased it, and was not that hard to install. It seems to work very well. I did install an extra washer on the shackle bolts as they did not draw up without leaving slack and end play in the bolts. The original set up also had end play in the bolts, which concerned me.
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #7

Great information — Thanks!

Best, Fred
foakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:19 PM   #8

Another thing you really should do is to rotate the tires once a year. This will even out the wear.

Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote